Canter Caster and Shims....oh my!

• There are a few of us old timers here that did the original "Otter Mod" by moving shims around. After driving these things for a while now, do you think it was a good choice to do this mod? I like how the wheel comes back to center. Any newer slings have that problem? Pics are below

• Can you elaborate please? Newbie on this...

Back in 2015,by moving the med. shim on top, from the rear to the front, it made the steering wheel self center. I'm not good with all the mechanics stuff. I liked it and not sure if the newer slings need it, or if Polaris fixed it. A lot of the old members changed their shims around to improve the steering. I was wondering if any one changed theirs back to original or kept this mod. I'm still sporting the mod with no issues.

• honestly never did the mod because I disagreed with the end result. I preferred the more direct feel. My original 2015 had the alignment set up all wrong from the factory. I even disagreed about the laser alignment argument to some extent and did the traditional method myself. The old girl drove flawlessly after the alignment without the Otter flip.
    My 2016.5 came from the factory set to about where my old one was. Haven't had to touch it yet after 6k.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

Edited once, last by Ruptured Duck ().

• Back in 2015,by moving the med. shim on top, from the rear to the front, it made the steering wheel self center. I'm not good with all the mechanics stuff. I liked it and not sure if the newer slings need it, or if Polaris fixed it. A lot of the old members changed their shims around to improve the steering. I was wondering if any one changed theirs back to original or kept this mod. I'm still sporting the mod with no issues.

Guess I have the same curiosity about this mod also, I did not do this either simply because I was comfortable with the way mine handled was not totally sold on the idea.

• I did the mod and drove it that way for several months. I then switched back and had the laser alignment and I like it better. It doesn't self center like it did with the mod but I just get a better feel for the front end. Personal preference.

• I did the mod and really liked the improved highway handling. There was some over steer I didn't care for on high speed curves so I changed it back for a couple weeks, but wasn't happy. I was fortunate enough to have 3 of the small shims in front on both sides so I moved the medium shim to the front and the three small shims to the back. The ride has been perfect ever since.

The mechanic that does my warranty work is amazed at the improved handling.