POLARIS Gets A Bad Wrap - Small Redemption

• So I know that we bash POLARIS quite a bit on here and that's not to say that it's not for good reason. I'm sure that Polaris has some good reasons for some of the things that they do that we just don't understand. Then there are some things that I think may just be bad decisions, no way around it. I don't know for sure what goes on up at HQ.

BUT

I am glad to say I have some news that has me quite happy with Polaris right now. I had my recalls (swingarm, double-nut, replacement some bolt in the steering shaft, etc.) completed a couple weeks ago. I have to give a big shout out to Tri County Honda of Petersburg, WV. They took care of me, the Service Manager, AJ, listened to all of my concerns and made me feel at ease about them working on my machine. Those of you who know me, know that I do all my own work and cringe at the thought of a dealer mechanic wrenching on my Sling!! During the recalls, the tech noticed that my lower ball joints and tie rods were starting to go and were going to need to be replaced. When AJ told me about what the tech had found, he asked if I wanted to put in a claim to Polaris. I told him sure, but I knew I was right around the end of my warranty. Sure enough, he looked up my VIN, and my warranty had expired 1 month to the day. He said we should submit the claim anyway and so we did. I will not lie and say I was hopeful. As a matter of fact, I whole-heartedly believed that Polaris would tell me to buzz off. I was shocked when I received a call from AJ yesterday telling me that my claim had been approved and Polaris was going to pick up the tab to have the ball joints and tie rods replaced. Thanks to Polaris for taking care of me this go around and BIG thanks to AJ at Tri County Honda for submitting the claim on my behalf to get me taken care of.

• Love reading success stories like this. Just wish some of that goodness rubbed off on my Dealership!!! Just seems to be going in the opposite direction. Looks like I'll just be getting the "FREE" oil changes done by them...and that is all!!

Good on ya' @TheRock!!!! Glad you found a dealer with a backbone!!!!! :thumbup:

• Love the guys at Tri-County. That's where we bought ours and other than a mechanic using a pipe wrench on our new steering wheel once, they treated us well. Missed that when we came to Ohio and had to deal with Iron Pony!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

• So I will say that when I heard of others having ball joint issues I did call Tri County Honda and I asked them if they could check mine out. They told me they could and would, but if they found nothing they'd have to charge me a diagnostics fee. I understand it, but it kinda sucks. You are rolling the dice either way. I chose not to take it in. And who knows... maybe they wouldn't have seen anything at the time anyway though.

Either way, seems like ball joints are commonly going bad around 10,000 miles, give or take. Seems WAY premature for ball joints to be going out.

• I agree that 10,000 miles is very premature for ball joint failures.

I don't think you can put a mileage on when you might have issues with ball joints. There is a good number of SlingShots with many more miles on them with no need for replacement. Most likely, anyway I hope, Polaris has seen some pattern in these failings which would lead back to a possible supplier with quality control problems. I certainly would not want this to turn into another recall event such as the swingarms.

• 45,000 miles an change I checked for play last week
    I agree that 10,000 miles is very premature for ball joint failures.

I don't think you can put a mileage on when you might have issues with ball joints. There is a good number of SlingShots with many more miles on them with no need for replacement. Most likely, anyway I hope, Polaris has seen some pattern in these failings which would lead back to a possible supplier with quality control problems. I certainly would not want this to turn into another recall event such as the swingarms.

• I agree... I got the bad luck of a crappy (under first 1,000 unit) 2015 model. After a year and a half with two major DOA failures (electrical gremlin) and Polaris not knowing the issue they stepped up and replaced it with a 2016.5 model with a brand new 24 month warranty. Have to say that even though it was a pain getting there the resolution was fair and not as stressful as i feared it might have been. See in GA the lemon law does not cover motorcycles.

Matter of fact it was one year ago Monday that the original SS died for the last time. It happen just before my trip up to SSITS last year. Had already payed for everything so made the trip without a SS. That's why i was the creepy guy hanging out around the vendors for two days.

What a your will make.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Jdin just reported getting his recall completed today and that he also was notified of failing ball joints at 22,000 miles. I just Googled ball joint life expantcy and I got 70,000 to 150,000 miles. What could possibly be causing all these ball joints to fail so premature??

Is there a better quality ball joint that we could "upgrade" to? Guess it's time to try and start sourcing a ball joint that will fit from the automotive side of the house...

• I know others have tried to find replacement ball joints with no luck. There has to be a source but maybe it is like the rotors and some other parts Polaris uses.

As far as I know Polaris does not have ball joints alone for repairs, they supply the complete control arm with the ball joint for warranty replacements.

• It really is the good dealers that save the day. So many shady dealers that need to get yanked. We have a big dealer here in the metro that have been telling owners to take a hike on recalls and warranty issues. Had a guy call me with defective paint on a new SLR and his dealer said it was his fault and told him to take a hike. He wanted me to fix and paint the panels but I told him to check with my dealer first to see if it could get covered under warranty. Sure enough it got covered and saved him almost 3k he would have had to shell out.

Sounds like its time for billet A arms with extra features and HD joints!

• I really wish Sport Rider was closer.

funny you say that! The SLR is here. Owner dropped it off this after-noon. Scott from sport rider was at a track day in the metro today and is now on his way to pickup the SLR for warranty on his way home. Its worth the drive. They are a smaller family dealership that will take care of the customers after the sale.

• What is the price for the parts and labor for ball joints and or A-arms. I have no warranty. It expired in Feb. ;(

What is the price for the parts and labor for ball joints and or A-arms. I have no warranty. It expired in Feb. ;(

Check with your locals dealers even though your warranty is expired it could still be covered

• @Jdin just reported getting his recall completed today and that he also was notified of failing ball joints at 22,000 miles. I just Googled ball joint life expantcy and I got 70,000 to 150,000 miles. What could possibly be causing all these ball joints to fail so premature??

Is there a better quality ball joint that we could "upgrade" to? Guess it's time to try and start sourcing a ball joint that will fit from the automotive side of the house...

Yup!

Tri county and AJ hopefully to the rescue. I love Tri County they treat you freaking awesome. I did get aggravated that ball joints went out at 22k. I have car at 200k , truck at 240k another at 110k. My jeep has 130k on it and a lot of off-road beach trips and ball joints going strong on all of them.

Slingshot 22k all ball joins upper and lower are failing.

• What is the price for the parts and labor for ball joints and or A-arms. I have no warranty. It expired in Feb. ;(

Well that is very dependent on your dealer, all four A-arms run $650-700 and most back yard mechanics can install them.

But I would see if you could get warranty coverage anyway.