Forward Swept Wing

• I did originally want it slightly above the rearview camera, but I modeled out all kinds of ways, even using paper and cardboard, and nothing else looked right with this spoiler. Although the rear of the wing matches the rear angle of the vehicle (I forgot what that exact number was, maybe 113 degrees), the front of the Metricks wing is a different angle aspect, so looks weird too high or too much of a tilt. One of the pictures below, you see a yellow line... there's a stock bolt behind the one used for the wing, so I thought about those bolts holding in a bracket diagonally hat would hold the wing right up where I wanted it. But, I had to also consider that this wing is unfinished underneath, so shouldn't be too high. Where I put the license plate, it also helps fulfill it's usefulness as a fender. Also remember that the plate must be lighted by law.

• @Slingshot Garage I'm with you about over the camera but I keep struggling with how to do it. What I have sketched for myself is still way tooooo big.

What I really want to do is simple air flow study with yarn or string taped to the rear deck to watch the air movement. For this kind of accessory I believe function is more important. I want it to really produce some type of down force. The SS aerodynamics are so screwed in the first place I'm not sure it is even going to do anything.

Maybe I ditch the thinking below and go with smaller adjustable winglets high and closer to the hoop. It would be different.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• The only way you will get good down force would be to get a spoiler high up in the clean air flow. The aerodynamics of the SS is like taking the airfoil shape of a wing and cutting off the trailing edge. To make a low spoiler function there would have to be a change of the shape from the roll hoops back to allow the air flow off the back instead of breaking up.
    The Slingshade would have almost corrected for a lot of the problems.

• @Slingshot Garage I'm with you about over the camera but I keep struggling with how to do it. What I have sketched for myself is still way tooooo big.

What I really want to do is simple air flow study with yarn or string taped to the rear deck to watch the air movement. For this kind of accessory I believe function is more important. I want it to really produce some type of down force. The SS aerodynamics are so screwed in the first place I'm not sure it is even going to do anything.

Maybe I ditch the thinking below and go with smaller adjustable winglets high and closer to the hoop. It would be different.

In theory the forward swept wing was to give increased maneuverability. So it may cure some evils at the back and allow for better cornering. Well and even if it didn't would still look badass.lol :thumbup:

• Love all the different ideas for a wing to add to the back. I too have been daydreaming over different ideas since I bought the SS. My idea however goes in another direction from what has been suggested so far (I think it may stem from my younger days and building Model Jet planes: one of my favorites was the NF-104).

I like the idea of adding a wing shape to the TOP of the vertical fin. Could be swept back or forward, or not swept at all (not sure if forward swept would clear the roll bars…). I even toyed with the idea of modifying a limousine trunk-mounted “boomerang” antenna to go on top the fin (But it still looked too much like a dam boomerang)

Anyway, just another idea to stir the design pot …
    T-Tail no.2.pdfT-Tail no. 1.pdfT-Tail no.3.pdf
    (P.S. I have a another idea (non-wing) to dress up the SS rear area below the deck, pictures will follow shortly, once I get my build finished & installed)

• Love all the different ideas for a wing to add to the back. I too have been daydreaming over different ideas since I bought the SS. My idea however goes in another direction from what has been suggested so far (I think it may stem from my younger days and building Model Jet planes: one of my favorites was the NF-104).

I like the idea of adding a wing shape to the TOP of the vertical fin. Could be swept back or forward, or not swept at all (not sure if forward swept would clear the roll bars…). I even toyed with the idea of modifying a limousine trunk-mounted “boomerang” antenna to go on top the fin (But it still looked too much like a dam boomerang)

Anyway, just another idea to stir the design pot …
    T-Tail no.2.pdfT-Tail no. 1.pdfT-Tail no.3.pdf
    (P.S. I have a another idea (non-wing) to dress up the SS rear area below the deck, pictures will follow shortly, once I get my build finished & installed)

Reminds me of the new this year dorsal wings that the F1 cars are running. They will be band next year.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Plate like this. Hidden but visible.

Yah and Im reminded of that service rate sign you see on shop walls, labour $50.00 per hour , $75.00 if you help. LMAO ,,,no, seriously I appreciate the help as maybe I or someone else will be able to offer you guys some more products as a result of this type of discussion . I just had to get the Rate joke in before one of designer group discounts came in . lol

Well Kevin, I would normally agree with that statement that 'help and advise' usually would cost more but the Forum has some unbelievable talent and I would use it in a heartbeat!!!!! (Not talking about me... I just throw on paint!) However, there are some here with top notch design skills who know the Sling inside-out!