Anyone heel toe shifting?

• I have watched several videos and read several explanations on this. I still don't get it. I can't understand why I would ever need to bump the throttle to rev match while I'm braking...

What am I missing here??

Going in to a turn it would allow you to downshift while also pressing the brake. And be able to shift while turning. Less clutch time basically. I can't pull it off with the brake and gas configuration on the sling. It's okay, my rev matching isn't bad.

• Going in to a turn it would allow you to downshift while also pressing the brake. And be able to shift while turning. Less clutch time basically. I can't pull it off with the brake and gas configuration on the sling. It's okay, my rev matching isn't bad.

Why would you need to burp the gas to downshift though? If you are downshifting, I can't see a need to burp the throttle. Only when upshifting does it make sense in my mind to burp the throttle... Have I been driving "wrong" all this time?

• I have watched several videos and read several explanations on this. I still don't get it. I can't understand why I would ever need to bump the throttle to rev match while I'm braking...

What am I missing here??

I have watched several videos and read several explanations on this. I still don't get it. I can't understand why I would ever need to bump the throttle to rev match while I'm braking...

What am I missing here??

same here... I have many driving shoes but hell they never and I never could get this method down. I really would love if a few of us took a driving course... with this main point in mind. Would kind of cool to do. But this bumping the throttle would put me into a wall QUICKLY! No Skills :(

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I would love to take the Skip Barber driving course if any one else is up for it let me know.
    It has been on my to do list - just aint got it done

That sounds good but I know that might be to rich fo my wallet ... I have never looked into the cost... friends have told me it's about 1400.00 and UP. But dang it's a good idea for sure Mitch.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Why would you need to burp the gas to downshift though? If you are downshifting, I can't see a need to burp the throttle. Only when upshifting does it make sense in my mind to burp the throttle... Have I been driving "wrong" all this time?

No need to burp the throttle shifting up. You'll most likely be slamming the gas trying to accelerate. You burp the throttle to match the rpms of the engine to your current speed at the lower gear. It makes it where you don't have to ride the clutch in the turn. Listen to bikes and cars when they're racing. Going in to turns or downshifting in general you'll hear the engine rev twice. Once in neutral and again when the gears engage. It happens really fast. I'm pretty darn good at that working pedals individually from a crapload of practice, but I can't pull off brake and gas at the same time.

It makes the transition to the lower gear a lot easier and if helps you keep control. Shifting to a lower gear and letting the clutch out while rolling too fast can lock the rear wheel momentarily.

• Sorry @sideseatdriver, I meant to say has @KayTwo introduced you to the psycho who want to play with hand grenades? :D

Bahahaha. If only you knew. I've thrown more hand grenades than I can count. Played with shape charges, claymores, anti - personnel mines, bangalors, etc. I am that randomly kind-of-but-not-quite-psychotic friend that everyone needs. :D

But I don't share K2, so that nice person you were describing earlier just has to die. :P

• Blipping the throttle when down-shifting on the limit, or even when down-shifting on the street, will completely remove the sudden compression you feel in the rear of the Slingshot. It allows the gears to mesh together better when releasing the clutch and, if you do it right, you will not feel the downshift.

Half of the drivers who are racing are doing heel-toe, the other half are not. We find that as long as full traction control is on, and you get all shifting and clutchwork done prior to entering the corner, there won't be a major issue. However, remove traction or stability control and you MUST heel-toe if you're braking on the limit and entering a corner.

Heel-toe is relatively easy once you get the hang of it...practice, practice, practice. Size 13's may seem tough but try to push down the brake pedal with the ball of your foot, then pivot the heel over to the throttle and give it a short stab before quickly letting the clutch out :)

• At the last couple of track events, I have been working to teach myself how to better heel/toe in the Slingshot.

It is a little hard than some other vehicles I've driven because of pedal placement and how slow revving the Slingshot is. Once you get the rough hang of it, it really helps in corners where you are hard on the brakes and are going down 1-2 gears.

You can somewhat hear it on the below video. Not that many shift points at the tracks I run, so it is a little hard to get practice.

https://youtu.be/JxWSUGAQixY

Forgot to mention how important shoes are. You want shoes that are very form fitting and you can feel what your feet are touching. It seem to be also easier if you have pedal covers because there is more pedal area to get your feet situated quickly.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

Edited once, last by TravAZ ().