How hard is rear bearing replacement?

• Ok, here's the deal: I have to replace the rear bearing. Wheel shimmies as I drive. Not the wheel itself - that's been switched out with a known good. I haven't had the recall yet, but I'm "on the list." Problem is, they don't know when my new swingarm will be here (2016.5 LE with white swingarm), but they do have the bearing available at the shop (they say). $200 for the bearing, $130 (at least) in labor. I don't really want to pay $330 to get back on the road, especially when it could very well only be a week or two later that on her a whole new bearing with the recall - but it's killing me not to be able to drive her.

So, how hard is this thing to replace? Specialty tools needed? Lift (or can I do it on jack stands)? Is it worth saving $130 in labor, or am I going to want to kill myself by the time I get it changed out? Who's done it?

Some are easy .... some are a real beeeotch ..... depends on what kind of a mood the guy on the assembly line was in that day whether your pulley comes right off or need to be torched off like mine did ....

So.....um ...... you are under warranty ... why would you be charged a penny ??

Its not your fault Polaris cannot supply your dealer with the replacement swing arm so they need to replace your bearings for free to keep you on the road.....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• WHAT @Orangeman SAID!! Do not pay a penny for this repair ~> This should be covered under warranty!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Ok, here's the deal: I have to replace the rear bearing. Wheel shimmies as I drive. Not the wheel itself - that's been switched out with a known good. I haven't had the recall yet, but I'm "on the list." Problem is, they don't know when my new swingarm will be here (2016.5 LE with white swingarm), but they do have the bearing available at the shop (they say). $200 for the bearing, $130 (at least) in labor. I don't really want to pay $330 to get back on the road, especially when it could very well only be a week or two later that on her a whole new bearing with the recall - but it's killing me not to be able to drive her.

So, how hard is this thing to replace? Specialty tools needed? Lift (or can I do it on jack stands)? Is it worth saving $130 in labor, or am I going to want to kill myself by the time I get it changed out? Who's done it?

I paid $179 for all three pieces (2 bearings and 1 bushing) I keep as spares on trips for those just in case moments and the dealer does not have the parts. I have pulled and greased the bearings but have not changed a bearing yet myself. I bought a set of pullers someone else said would work. The one thing that I do know is to measure the depth that the original bearing has been inserted before pulling and install the new bearing to the same depth. I had the bearings replaced on warrenty just before the swing arm recall. Good Luck

• Local slinger was told by a dealership that due to liability, if they do any work on a sling that doesn't have the swingarm replaced the sling cannot leave the dealership until that recall is performed.

The slinger was rather pissed because he dropped it off for some work to be done and then they said that it would take a week to do his swingarm and the other work....that was 4 weeks ago.

He also wasn't happy that his slingshot had been sitting outside taking in rain and whatever else the whole time that it has been waiting for parts.

I thought they would at least cover them while under their care for extended periods of time.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Local slinger was told by a dealership that due to liability, if they do any work on a sling that doesn't have the swingarm replaced the sling cannot leave the dealership until that recall is performed.
    The slinger was rather pissed because he dropped it off for some work to be done and then they said that it would take a week to do his swingarm and the other work....that was 4 weeks ago.

He also wasn't happy that his slingshot had been sitting outside taking in rain and whatever else the whole time that it has been waiting for parts.

I thought they would at least cover them while under their care for extended periods of time.

Its not a stop ride ..... so I call BS ...... they would be failing to honor their warranty on all units without the recalls complete because of their inability to supply replacement parts in a timely manner ............ what say you @Bill Martin ?

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Wishful thinking. Not warranty work. See here. @ericastar76

Stupid humans and their stupid tricks

Local Slinger got fed a line of horseshit, and that's not my current diet. Someone would have a real bad damn day if they tried that shit on me.

Unfortunately, that doesnt mitigate the need for a new bearing....

• Even though my bearings were under warranty- I had Polaris overnight ship, so I would not have a lot of down time. The jerks sent the bearings from 2 different warehouses, so I had double the shipping charges. The mechanic and the service manager fought my sling for 3 hours to get the pulley off, 2 pullers stripped, torched the heck out of it and darn near beat it to death...... Assembly line apparently used the whole bottle of locktite on my sling......... They said it was the worst one they ever had to deal with..........
    I call BS on what the local slinger was told!

• Read all this and I gotta say it would be difficult to bring any action over holding a Sling until the swingarm is replaced. There was not a "stop ride" but was a "stop sell" for a while. Nobody has died from a failed swingarm yet but I am sure Polaris is tryin to cover their ass. As a general rule in any kinda of motor vehicle lawsuit the court is gonna fall on the side of safety - or lack thereof

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I have been riding the hell out of mine for 6 months when the bearing started making noise. I am still waiting on my swingarm, but I still ride my everyday with no issues.

Yeah, well, I rapped the side of my wheel laterally against a curb, and now the whole fitting is loose or something...

• Yeah, well, I rapped the side of my wheel laterally against a curb, and now the whole fitting is loose or something...

Hey - get that fixed before the "Bill Martin Event" - imma have a hard time fittin your bride and mine in my Sling :P

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I had my axle bearings replaced at a dealer last fall. They also replaced the axle as part of the procedure.

It took two mechanics about half an hour with hammers and torches to get the old out. I was horrified. Re-assembly appeared to be quick and painless.

Seriously swinging hammers rule out jack stands. Dealer had a lift.

Rear, still not right. Grrr.

• Swing arm bearings or the axle bearings

Good question @FunCycle the swing arm bearings will cause the entire swingarm to move and the axle bearing will cause the wheel only to move. Very unusual for the swingarm bearing to be an issue but the right side retainers may be out of place. If it is the axle bearing first try to torque the axle nut to spec to see if the play can be eliminated. If that works just ride it until the replacement is in. If you have no play but the bearing make some noise, you can get a lot of miles out of it. If you have play in the axle bearing after you torque the axle nut then you definitely have bearing failure.

• Good question @FunCycle the swing arm bearings will cause the entire swingarm to move and the axle bearing will cause the wheel only to move. Very unusual for the swingarm bearing to be an issue but the right side retainers may be out of place. If it is the axle bearing first try to torque the axle nut to spec to see if the play can be eliminated. If that works just ride it until the replacement is in. If you have no play but the bearing make some noise, you can get a lot of miles out of it. If you have play in the axle bearing after you torque the axle nut then you definitely have bearing failure.

Uhh... @mniron, given your details here, I'm thinking its the axle bearings. What's the torque spec on that nut? (That's the double nut, right?) Aaaannd....if there's still play, but I'm getting a new swingarm anyway....how bad it is to drive with bearings that are bad or going bad?