MAKING THE SEATS ADJUSTABLE VERTICALLY

• I have a friend that bought a SS after looking at ours. The problem is that he, being an old Harley rider. has broken his neck twice. He asked me if I knew of any way to raise the the seats automatically, air bag, electric motor, or manually, etc. I can't figure it out. :cursing::cursing::cursing:

He needs to raise the seat base about 4 inches but retract so he is not above the hoops.

I know that there are a lot of SS owners that have knee and hip problems, so this might be a niche that someone might has not thought of.

Devon

• Not aware of any such kit. I would imagine it is doable with something already on the market but for other applications.
    But, for clarification... is this being asked to assist getting in and out of the Slingshot? That opens it up for other options...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I have a top installed on mine... the overhead rails make getting in and out pretty easy plus the bonus of removable canvas for shade or sun... About a year ago they were developing an assist handle that mounts above the mirrors on both sides, but haven't found anything current...

Sure others here have similar problems and can add to this.... it may be a few moments as most are probably out riding. :)

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• there are a lot of companies out there that work with modifying vehicles for assisted living.

(ie: wheelchair accessible vehicles and such)

I've even seen a truck have the passenger seat turn and face the door, then extend and drop so that a person is able to transfer from a wheelchair into the seat, and lift them into the truck again.

Given some time and knowhow, (and someone wanting the feature bad enough), something could be done.

• I read this earlier... and have been trying to think of some ideas that could be thumbnailed up in my head... I have knee injury from Military so I understand - that said I am struggling on how to come up wth something - but I will keep thinking.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I have kicked the idea of an airbag like the ones used to lower motorcycles. Then I thought about a small hydraulic ram. Then
    a lift like is used in a barbers chair. Scissor jack or lift. I have tried to think of every possible idea that comes into my little mind but realize that this might be above my pay grade.

Devon

• I have kicked the idea of an airbag like the ones used to lower motorcycles. Then I thought about a small hydraulic ram. Then
    a lift like is used in a barbers chair. Scissor jack or lift. I have tried to think of every possible idea that comes into my little mind but realize that this might be above my pay grade.

Devon

Thought about that too. But it has to be small enough to sit under the existing frame. If not then you would eat a lot of bugs

Scissor lift with an electric screw actuator. The right set will not take up much room. Or use like a hinged lever with the screw actuator to lift.

• You know.... if it is just to raise and lower the seat, our Ford Focus has a pump lever on the side that raises and lowers the seat about 3-4 inches.

Would that be something that would work?

• wow, thanks guys for your confidence in me. There are far smarter people here than me but I'll add some thoughts.
    (1) if someone were to offer a kit don't expect it to be cheap. Not because they are taking advantage of anyone but because it's a very limited market. They will want to recoup development cost in the fewest units possible.
    (2) as a seat modification involving the seat frame and mounting to the the SlingShot there is a high liability issue to think about.
    (3) with that said the seat must be able to be locked in place when riding. Unlock , rise , then lower and lock again.

I agree that a special firm that deals with vehicle conversation will be your best bet. Couldn't even begin to think of the cost.

If I were wanting to do it for myself I would look into possible finding a 2007 to currently Jeep Wrangler driver seat frame. It has a built in hand lever on the side that raise the seat about 6" upward. The frame would need to be cut and resized without effecting the seat frame slide and raise function.

That would be my first idea but remember .... It's not about plan A but how well you execute plan B

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• ^^^^^^^^
    those side hand lever height adjusts are on lots of vehicles now, heres 2 i know of

Dodge calibers
    Chevy cavaliers

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)