Nitrogen filled tires

• Although our atmosphere has around 20% O2, some tires have several atmosphere's worth of pressure in them. The partial-pressure of O2 is then greater than 100% O2 at atmospheric pressure. This can start to spontaneously combust things. Aircraft tires, which often have 8 to 9 Bar (atmospheres) of pressure in them all run nitrogen. Given a high enough partial pressure of O2, aluminum will burn.

Ever let the air out of a tire and smell it? Smells like rotten eggs... The 2 to 3 Bar of pressure in a tire brings the partial-pressure of O2 up high enough that it's oxidizing the rubber. Your tires are rotting from the inside out.

Most street vehicles don't have 200 PSI of pressure in them. But, Nitrogen (no O2) will keep your tires happier longer. Also, N2 (the gas) has a larger atomic radii than O2 or other trace gasses. This larger diameter allows membranes or semi-porus aluminum castings to hold the tire pressure without slowly leaking.

Just my 2 cents.

• More like $10 worth of info - Thanks

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I work in an air separation plant and our two products are pure nitrogen and oxygen. Our nitrogen is 99.999999% pure and 100% dry. Every one here puts nitrogen in their tires. I see our name on tanks at a lot of tire shops but have often wondered how many people are told they are getting nitrogen filled tires and being charged for it but are really just getting air? You really wouldn't know unless you seen them actually using a line from the nitrogen tank.

• @gearhead just pointed out what a lot of us are having a problem with.... We've been breathing air for so long that we are rotting from the inside out. Anybody else feeling oxidized?

As for nitrogen... not running high pressure aircraft tires, landing struts, leveling cylinders, head pressure for anti-foaming hydraulics, hydraulic accumulators, or any other systems that require moisture free air... and although it may look like I am flying, I won't be hitting altitudes that would be a problem...

gonna continue to run the free stuff.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I work in an air separation plant and our two products are pure nitrogen and oxygen. Our nitrogen is 99.999999% pure and 100% dry. Every one here puts nitrogen in their tires. I see our name on tanks at a lot of tire shops but have often wondered how many people are told they are getting nitrogen filled tires and being charged for it but are really just getting air? You really wouldn't know unless you seen them actually using a line from the nitrogen tank.

That is a train of thought that is scary and is best avoided, what if my premium gas is not really premium, what if my purified water is dirty river water, "what ifs" is not a road you want to go down.

As far as whether we have nitrogen or not is easy to find out for us northerners, as soon as the temp goes -10F or lower tires with regular air will drop 10lbs easy and trigger a TPMS light, I know i didn't have to put any air on my SUV even when we hit -25F so I am good.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I could tell you how much PSI of each gets put in, but it's all very complex mathematical formulas and I don't want to hurt any of your brains! I know, I'm very considerate that way!

:00008356::00008172:

+ 78.09%
    + 20.95%
    + 00.93%
    + 00.04%
    ------------
    s 100.01%
    - {complex math}
    ------------
    t 100.00%

*thanks for being considerate... math really hurts my brain! X/

:evil:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• How much liquid nitrogen do you want? We have a 60 thousand litre tank and 3 that are 11000 litre that we use as buffer tanks for our pipeline. We also have 20 thousand of liquid oxygen. Liquid nitrogen is so fun to freeze things with and smash them. Bananas shatter like glass