Innovate SCG-1 Gauge Install

• Can someone PLEASE shed some light and take some pics on how your gauge connections are? I have this gauge but only looking to use the boost pressure and AFR function. I wanted to see if maybe I can attempt this install myself.

• As @VIPNiSS has already mentioned....You will only be able to use it as a boost and AFR gauge. The boost controller portion isn't going to work. I just wanted to save y'all some time before you tried that....

I remember reading about someone having problems trying to use the SCG-1 as a boost controller. I beieve it was a problem between what Bob's tune wanted to do and what the SCG-1 wanted to do. IIRC, the poster was trying to get together with Bob to see if they could come up with a solution. Don't know if anything ever came out of any effort.

• Yes sir. From what I gathered it can't be used as a controller in the SS with the MEFI ECM.

I messaged Innovative, but there only response was:

"It would have made much more sense to purchase a PSB-1 if you do not need the boost control function. That said, if you install the boost controller and simply skip the installation of the solenoid, it will still read boost and AFR."

But I still have to hook up the controller because the gauge itself doesn't have a vacuum tube. So the above doesn't help me all that much. Do I even use the 4 bar map sensor? If so, where?

• @djvj the 4 bar sensor what the scg1 comes with is where you will be connecting you vacuum line to and that plugs in to gauge

I think the confusion may come from where to mount the MAP sensor that comes with the SCG-1. There's only one spot for a MAP sensor and the 2-bar sensor that comes with our turbo kits uses that spot. Personally, I'd think all MAP sensors would be designed with the same output specs and there'd be some method to split the output to multiple devices. That would certainly simplify installation.

• I'm gathering we just have to stick that sensor somewhere it doesn't rattle around too much. Not in the spot the 2-bar one goes.

BKL, now that you mention it, I wonder if anyone has tried tapping into the wires from the 2-bar sensor and sending them to the gauge. I don't see why that isn't possible unless the ECM gets bugged out somehow.

There would be no need to put a T in the vacuum line then.

• Unfortunately, there does seem to be some variation in sensor performance, so the SCG-1 may NOT work well with the 2-Bar sensor supplied with our turbo systems. Also, simply splitting the signal may well affect the voltage delivered by the sensor to the gauge and may cause erroneous readings. IIRC, some folks have had problems with sensor-output voltages from different brands of sensors.I am definitely NOT an expert in this, but I do have enough knowledge to get myself in trouble sometimes! :/

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I know at least a couple of folks, either here or on TDS, have installed the SCG-1. I bought it to use the data logger Innovate offers, but if clear installation instructions can't be found, it may just be easier to sell the SCG-1 on EBay and get the waterproof Koso unit. It'll end up costing more, but at the same time I won't need to worry about rain.
    If you're interested in the Koso unit, here's a link to the installation instructions - BA029001.pdf

• It’s not that hard guys come on it’s basic install did you get instructions with your gauge. The sensor that comes with the scg1 is strictly for the scg it plugs into the gauge. Then you run a vacuum line to that same sensor.from where ever your pulling your vacuumm. Installing or mounting the sensor where it wont get cooked. Run power and ground to the gauge , solenoid has a connector and plugs into gauge it will get power from there. Plug o2 in to connector coming from gauge aswell. And if you want the shift light to work your gonna have to find tach wire off the main harnest coming from the ecu. There’s no need to start splicing wires no need to think this sensor will be replacing your map sensor . This sensor is strictly for the scg1 and how in delivers the info your trying to see. And if I remember correctly because I no longer have mine installed. It doesn’t save any info your trying to log .you have to run the usb it comes with to a computer and log . http://www.innovatemotorsports…manual/SCG-1%20Manual.pdf install instructions

• It’s not that hard guys come on it’s basic install did you get instructions with your gauge. The sensor that comes with the scg1 is strictly for the scg it plugs into the gauge. Then you run a vacuum line to that same sensor.from where ever your pulling your vacuumm. Installing or mounting the sensor where it wont get cooked. Run power and ground to the gauge , solenoid has a connector and plugs into gauge it will get power from there. Plug o2 in to connector coming from gauge aswell. And if you want the shift light to work your gonna have to find tach wire off the main harnest coming from the ecu. There’s no need to start splicing wires no need to think this sensor will be replacing your map sensor . This sensor is strictly for the scg1 and how in delivers the info your trying to see. And if I remember correctly because I no longer have mine installed. It doesn’t save any info your trying to log .you have to run the usb it comes with to a computer and log . http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/SCG-1%20Manual.pdf install instructions

Thanks for your help. I'm glad everything is so clear for you. We posted because we were confused. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, I have been finding the instructions for installing the SCG-1 overly confusing. Maybe I'm just making it harder than it needs to be, but when the SCG-1 refers to a MAP sensor, I think we've been expecting some type of opening similar to what the Slingshot's standard MAP sensor plugs into. After just having installed the 2-Bar sensor for my Hahn turbo kit, I was dwelling on the MAP sesnor mounting and didn't make the connection of remembering that the SCG-1 MAP sensor was not of the same style. Only after reading your post and taking another look in the SCG-1 box did it make sense. I hadn't realized we could just run a vacuum hose to the SCG-1's MAP sensor and that clarification will make the install much simpler.
    The comments about splicing, etc, were driven by the assumption that each MAP sensor needed a special mount (the equivalent of a second bung for the SCG-1's O2 sensor) and wondering why a single sensor couldn't support multiple devices, although I believe I addressed the problems using a single sensor for multiple devices might entail.
    Innovate does indeed sell several data logging accessories for their products
    It sounds like you replaced your SCG-1. What gauge did use instead?

Edited once, last by BKL ().