Alpha Supercharger Initial Impressions/Review

• Have you talked to Alpha @jaytee? Aren't they doing built engines now too? :whistling:

Just stirring the pot... X/

no I havent talked to alpha..more than likely it was my fault for red lining in 2nd gear..i dont know what caused it..only looking to get it fixed and back on the road at this point.

• Just my 2 cents... Mind you, it's all speculation. But -- if the MAP sensor wasn't clipped in or if for some reason it didn't stay clipped in, irrespective of RPM (redline or not) you would not be running the correct air/fuel/timing map...

I've also got an Alpha supercharger -- I've had no issues with it. After checking the MAP sensor, it is possible to fabricate a very simple strap/bracket from a strip of thin aluminum that would secure it even if the clip lets go... A quick trip to the hardware store, a few bends, a few holes and presto... This 2-bar MAP sensor is a commonly used part for both turbos and superchargers. I do remember when installing it I had to press down REAL DAMNED HARD on it to get the clip to "click". A safety bracket would be a nice idea for all boosted applications.

Sorry to hear about the engine problems... I'm pretty sure that Alpha will help and do something about this.

Edited once, last by gearhead: Checked MAP sensor to fabricate a safety bracket to secure it. ().

• First @jaytee let me say I am very sorry to hear this happened to you. I can personally relate with you about this gut churning depressing feeling of having an engine to blow. Its like a part of you just stoped working. And i completely know what it feels like.

Hitting the rev limiter is absolutely no reason for it to blow. The term "Rev limiter" is a safety precaution all by itself. It is "limiting" the amount of RPM to keep you in a safe range.

Now the MAP sensor popping out would cause some issues. As mentioned in a post above, it would have been unable to reference how much boost it was receiving and it would have run lean because the ECU would think it has NO boost going into the engine (and no need for additional fuel)

SO here is where you would kinda be in terms of what happened in my opinion. What came first, the chicken or the egg. Did the problem come from the MAP sensor popping out or did the MAP sensor pop out due to the engine coming apart and creating to much top end pressure for a second.

So many things could have happened in that split second that could have caused this.

What I can tell you is this. Get you some type of device that will drop boost as soon as the AFR values go lean. And if you get an engine from DDM it will be as tough as LAVA soap. I have witnessed my engine make 2 full days of rev limiter hitting 17 to 18 PSI of boost dyno pulls over and over. And you don't even have to ask what parts goes into his engines. Its like asking what your mom's chicken soup has in it that makes it so good. Just eat the damn soup and be happy that its full of love and caring.

I would definitely reach out to Alpha and see if they can help also. There may be something they can do to help you out.

Keep us up to date with your progress. We are all here for to help each other. And if you need any info that I can help you with just let me know.

• no I havent talked to alpha..more than likely it was my fault for red lining in 2nd gear..i dont know what caused it..only looking to get it fixed and back on the road at this point.

That is absolutely not a true statement . As mentioned above in my post. You should be able to hit the rev limiter in every gear every time you change gears.

I mean,,,, I wouldn't do it :D . But you should be able to.

• I had installed my Alpha Supercharger some time ago... I do remember some mention of checking hood clearance -- either reading it on a forum or on some paperwork somewhere (can't find it just now). Anyway, for those interested in where and how much to trim, it's pretty simple. In fact, the hood framework already has trimmed spots from the factory for clearance to the valve cover. I've attached pictures here... [moderator -- you can move this post where most appropriate]

• thanks for all the replies, fellas. I'm stumped at knowing exactly what happened, but going forward I am definitely going with a built engine and some kind of bracket to secure that 2 bar!

• thanks for all the replies, fellas. I'm stumped at knowing exactly what happened, but going forward I am definitely going with a built engine and some kind of bracket to secure that 2 bar!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune @jaytee. I hope you get back up and running as fast as possible!!!

Hmm....methinks I see yet another custom mod in the works, if only one of our esteemed vendors has the wherewithall to create such a bracket for the boosted community?????? I would certainly be one of the first in line to buy one!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Sorry to hear about your misfortune @jaytee. I hope you get back up and running as fast as possible!!!
    Hmm....methinks I see yet another custom mod in the works, if only one of our esteemed vendors has the wherewithall to create such a bracket for the boosted community?????? I would certainly be one of the first in line to buy one!!!

One that looks good. Until then, I'm going to try baling wire and gorilla tape to make sure mine doesn't pop out!

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• I remember having a issue with my 2 bar map sensor wouldn't sit right in the intake manifold and had a little squeak for a while when I first installed the turbo couldn't figure it out I thought it was the ported intake manifold but it wasn't took me a little while to find but had figured out it was the map sensor I ordered a new and that one didn't sit right either. So I grabbed some zip ties and now that map sensor isn't goin anywhere

• no resistance when pushing in i might have to double check. i mean it has the little side tabs that are suppose to hold it in place, but it never really sat in the the intake like air tight even with the rubber so i just zip tied it to the manifold and no issues

• I feel so bad for you Jaytee this is not the ride report I wanted to see!! I hope you are up and running very soon with many miles of smiles.

:GRAYSS: Its all about that base :HEADERSS::MOTOROILSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch, Welter duels

• @rabtech honestly no idea because I've tried 3 Different intake manifolds and 3 differnt map sensors all of them kinda sat there with a little play and like I said I use to get this faint squeak when I stepped on throttle and it was the map sensor. Zip tied and never had an issue now it's air tight