there could be another ecu on the market soon

• well i sometimes like to go against the grain and with the sling I've decided to do what with a couple things now, the first was the motor everyones going ddm so i had been waiting for alpha to let me know when they were going in to production which they did and will be receiving any day.and now my second my option which is replacing the faculty computer. now this is something i was very iffy about because i didn't want get sucked into something that wasn't going to work for me and spend a bunch of money tuning. I've heard from so many people, the vendors bob from california, this forum even turbo sling, had told me not to waste my time, it was just to hard they were saying. I'm not a tuner so their word. but now with all this down time i got bored and fellow forum member and i have been going back and forth about what we could do @Uglyrider954 tells me has a friend that tunes locally and he works on ariel atoms and he's very interested in the slingshot. so i was obviously very skeptic at first especially after what everyone has said. but anyway i said hell why not so we teamed up with ACE PERFORMANCE out of tewksbury, mass. and after meeting nick and baer (they own and run Ace nick tunes) i figuered he knew what he was talking about. so they use an after market ecu which is also australian and goes by the name emtron they have a website ACE Performance Tuning theres some info about it their. so with uglyriders sling being painted my sling was to be the guinea pig. i dropped it off about a month ago. they wanted to make sure there wasn't anything with the sling that they couldn't work around. they also plugged it in to a can bus sniffer.from my understanding it allows them to see how the can bus is communicating and how it sends it signals. after this our next step was order what they call a patch harness. this will plug into the new ecu and then into the slingshots existing wire harness that is connected to old ecu. this took a couple weeks to put together and then have a company make the harness.

couple weeks later already up and running

this acold start

This is showing proper idle mixture(currently NO oxygen sensor input configured in the ECU at all yet)

this is them giving it a little gas after timing and fueling was set
    video may sound a little weird but i think its their speaker.

this is a warm temp startup
    i still haven't got to see or hear in person but very amazed to be up and running after only 2 weeks and not even really, just kinda wondering why so many people said it was so hard.im not a tuner like i said so i don't know but i will have more and better videos next week. i know we still have a lot to do with getting all the stock safeties and gauges to work but i don't think its gonna take these guys to long at the rate they are moving .

Powered by ALPHA :WHITESS::TURBOSS:

Edited 6 times, last by jluna317 ().

• @MACAWS from my understanding these guys at ace have told me there is nothing special about the sling so they don't understand what all the fuss about the tuning is,nick from ace says this is just easy for him.they also tune higher end vehicles but they really want to get in to slingshot market.i kept trying to push the haltech on them and they kept trying to push the emtron system they told me it will allow me to do more then the haltech and it's just a better setup but that's just me repeating what I was told and that's their opinion I'm not into tuning so I have no idea all new ground to me and I'm trying to learn I mean I get the basics. And way sorry about the rambling @MACAWS to answer the rest of the question they said the olny thing that they don't see working is def the cruise control but that's just for now we're goin to hopefully be running a better traction control setup that the ecu has. Like I said we've only been at this for really a couple weeks if that we were waiting for the patch harness to come in . Once it came in they setup the new ecu and had the sling running in 2 days. We've already set timing and fuel which we will play with the fuel. Which they said the fuel will be issue with higher boost has to be stable pressure and the slings fuel system setup is clearly not . One last thing from my understanding ace performance is one of few or maybe the only u.s distributor for this ecu I will keep the forum posted

• they are a dealer for haltech as well and could have put in the 1500 but the emtron is Leaps and Bounds ahead of the 1500 from what they are saying and they had a very good explanation backing up that statement. Nick, the engineer, will be posting on this forum once everything is completed as I'm sure they will be eager to introduce their product to the market.

I always ride safe sometimes!

Toys in the Sand Box:
    2016 400hp Alpha Turbo Sling
    2016 BMW s1000rr - Austin Racing
    2015 AR 240 Jet Boat 4,000watt Stereo
    2002 CBR 954
    2003 CRF 450

• Fuel pump on the sling can push plenty of fuel to get you up past 450hp and even to 500hp. It doesn't really drop pressure even with 85lb injectors.

I think what @MACAWS is asking about is how does that ECU interpret the CAN data from the YAW and traction control modules? Those communicate over the CAN and have to be accounted for. AND once they sense the data of thelse sensors do they kill the fuel or the spark to bring the Slingshot back under control.

The cruise control is also lost on the Haltech system. This kind of confuses me because you would think that it would use the speed sensor on the wheels to control the amount of throttle voltage that it needs. And we know it's picking up the speed because it compares the speed on each of the wheels for slip. I need to look at that when I have time.

• well the ecu does come with inputs for the CAN system and ,and the ecu is picking up data and seeing how the CAN system reacting when they do certain things . i was basically guaranteed this system would work for the sling if not i get my money back. i guess great thing kinda about being the guinea pig. they needed a sling to tinker with. i wanted a computer works out for both of us. they told me that everything will eventually work possibly even the cruise control its all about some hard coding from my understanding @rabtech its not that the fuel pump can't deliver the fuel they just said that will be the issue they rather see a setup with a return system.they don't want to compensate by just throwing bigger injectors they want the fuel pressure to stay stable and as you know when we go to step on it sometimes it just flats out .

• @rabtech the guy i have tuning which his name is nick, had told me why but i kinda didn't take it all in these guys start talking and i kinda lose focus i like cars and motors and all that but man once they get into all this technical stuff i just say yup yup ok.and no issues about posting you opinion isn't that why we are here so we can all speak our minds and post our sometimes not so great ideas.ill ask again about the cruise control.and ill let you guys know once we got gauges up and all that other factory stuff.

• THE MOST ADVANCED 4.3" DISPLAY FROM PLEX TUNING

Featuring a fully configurable CAN BUS, along with preloaded Smart Alarms, auto display changing, permanent engine log, and up to 256 data channels, the SDM-500® is a true powerhouse in the aftermarket display sector. With 256MB of internal memory, users can record up to 7.5 hours of data, and can easily review logged files from within the display itself. Included with the SDM-500® is a 4D wired joystick for configuration on the fly, without the need of a laptop. In terms of connectivity, it has 2 CAN BUS ports, 1 RS232 port, and 1 Lin Bus along with 8 Math channels. Also included are 2 multi-purpose inputs, 2 configurable aux. outputs, and 2 EGT inputs. Included with the SDM-500® is a built-in 20Hz GPS module with a 3-axis accelerometer, making this display one of the best all around pieces on the market. (Note: Older SDM-500 units can be upgraded with the GPS module to enhance its capabilities in providing you information)
    4.3" Ultra-vivid Display
    Very bright (1000 cd/m2) 480x272 TFT display with anti-reflective coating to allow for maximum visibility in all light conditions.
    Smart Alarms / Warnings
    Easy to set-up pre-loaded alarms that record history of the last 100 alarms, showing duration, value, and time for each.
    On-Device Data Log Review
    Review the logged files easily on the device. Choose different data-sets, browse the files, and zoom-in/out.
    Quick-Glance UI™
    Optimized viewing ergonomics minimize distractions and convey engine status with just a glance.
    Fully Configurable CAN BUS
    Pro-level CAN BUS configuration for both receiving and transmitting messages.
    20Hz GPS Module
    Built-in 20Hz GPS module along with a 3-axis accelerometer for accurate telemetry measurement and predictive lap timing.
    Auto Page Changing
    Hands-free display page changing based on user defined contributions / engine events.
    Up to 256 Data Channels
    Display up to 256 data channels, from the ECU or OBDII port to individual sensors and internally calculated parameters.
    Performance Meter
    Full scale integrated Performance Meter that runs full-time in the background. Records 1/4 mile runs automatically when top speed is greater than 62mph.

trying to find out if the display unit is water resistant or proof i believe i was told that it was

• @rabtech ya trust me i was very skeptical about it especially after reading and hearing about how hard the sling was to tune. but once ace told me if it doesn't work then don't pay us. it changed my mind.nothing to lose but time they aren't hacking my slingshot up. and if it don't work out the faculty ecu is right there. i hope to have all this worked out before maggie. its just they will be tuning the setup now with the stock motor and turbo and then we will be retuning once my motor is here and the boost levels go up.

• Hi, ACE here. Started writing this while waiting for verification. Thanks!
    Figured we'd throw in some tech info for those that had questions. On our site we have some details about the ECU specifically we are using (Emtron SL4) - http://www.aceperformancesystems.com/emtron-sl4/, and you can read more about Emtron on http://emtron.world from the Emtron official site that is WIP.

First, we are not in the business of knocking ANY other competing control system (stock, or aftermarket). What we do is have constructive conversations with our customers about what they are trying to achieve with their projects. In this case, some of the features and functions that were sought after made the Emtron ECU a logical choice over anything else that is out there. We quickly evaluated Jluna317 slingshot and it was clear we could improve even the simple creature comforts like idle speed control, fuel management, and just basic drivability (which most don't care about at the standalone level - we do).

As the videos above showed. We already have the platform running with nearly everything configured. We should be finalizing the calibration soon here on our Dynojet, which we plan to document in one of our blog posts like these : http://www.aceperformancesyste…e-management-integration/

Ironically (that's a joke), that vehicles "troubles" with management were totally cured with a full ECU replacement like the one we are doing here. That particular vehicle had a very fast turn around time as well even though we came from a "clean slate" just as we are with the Slingshot.

So far Jluna317s slingshot already starts easier, runs cleaner at idle, and has faster/better response regarding throttle input. The ECUs fine control of injection PW at low engine speeds already has his larger injectors characterized well enough to run a proper stoich gasoline mixture. This is with only a few minutes worth of mapping after start up. It really demonstrates the Emtron ECUs ability to properly control engines.

A "short" list of new features the ECU will support (in no particular order of importance) :

Closed loop Boost Control that can be mapped for limits, compensations for temp/gear/speed/etc (patch kits come with a flying lead for boost solenoid)
    Closed loop fueling correction with short and long term learning (using wide band sensor - additional)
    Closed loop individual cylinder knock detection with short and long term learning
    Closed loop idle speed control using DBW (with idle ignition functions)
    Speed density air/fuel mass modeling
    Launch control (ECU function - separate of stability)
    Traction control (ECU function - separate of stability)
    Engine protection (temp, pressures, limiters, limp, etc)
    Additional safety features (limiters, limps, etc)
    Flex fuel capability (future, requires additional hardware)
    Continuous logging (16mb of looped logging up to 500hz per channel)
    Expansion function to add more sensors and outputs
    Separate CAN stream for connecting to theoretically ANY other aftermarket component/data logger/dash/expansion system (user definable, not limited by brands, etc)
    Fuel flow corrections based on differential fuel pressure (effective pressure, especially during boost) using the factory returnless fuel system, and the ability to upgrade to proper rising rate fuel systems and take a real fuel pressure input for active correction.
    Turbo speed controls functions like Boost control, Launch Control, and even Anti-Lag
    High speed Ethernet communication for the ECU (for calibration, live data, ECU log file download, and more)

This all on top of supporting the following factory functions :

All factory sensors (temps, cam, crank, position, knock, etc)
    Factory Drive By Wire (with complete ability to remap sensitivity, offset target by speed/traction/boost/limp/and more - with all factory safety features)
    Factory safety features such as Roll Over Protection (interface with factory sensors)
    Variable valve timing control
    Factory ignition coil control
    Factory injection control
    Factory fuel pump control
    Factory fan control
    Factory switch inputs for Clutch/Brake position (enables launch control functions, and more)
    CAN integration features (TBD, so far we have defined nearly all the CAN PIDs, have the steering working, and more)

Everything has open config and full mapping capabiltiy. The ECU also is like a "black box" and continuously records a specific logging set

** CAN support for aftermarket systems is generally limited. It is too early to say what will or will not be supported completely. Projects at this level of modification should be more concerned about proper EFI control which is the main purpose

** Vehicles pushing higher boost pressure should have proper rising rate fuel systems to maintain effective fuel pressure

Our time is limited for forums/social media as we concentrate very hard on completing these kinds of projects, but we will do our best to monitor these threads to reply accordingly.

• Would be curius to know what it does more / better than the elite 1500?

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• Hi iNewton,

I think the best way to make comparisons is to look at the ECU specifications side by side, however this is difficult as different ECUs support different functions in different ways (but they are all called the same thing). The last thing we want to do is turn this into an ECU bashing thread (not that you are, just saying).

That being said, things that come to mind quickly regarding Emtron VS Haltech:

More logging space (and faster if needed)
    Ethernet comms
    More tables and runtimes (provides more flexibility, especially for closed loop functions. There are 5 setup pages and 24 tables available for boost control alone)
    User definable CAN bus (not locked to brands, which allows us to have more control in house with developing packages like these - quick development time)
    Closed Loop Traction control (on top of launch and anti-lag)

Tons of other stuff can be enabled at no charge as well. Gear shift for sequential transmissions (including air system control), and more.

In general, ACE actually supports Haltech products as well, but in this case we looked at what was out there and found enough advantages to design this with the more advanced control system.