Slingshot's future

• I had a little discussion with the manager at my dealer and he filled me in with what he has heard. Polaris is in on the Slingshot for the long haul. He said he was told that the next special color will be navy blue. There are plans in the works for a model with an automatic transmission and a model with the turbo installed at the factory. They are also planning a model under $20k for the budget friendly and the mod to the extreme crowd. No idea no the time frame.

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• That pretty much fits with the questions in the survey I filled out for Polaris after buying my 2015 Base Slingshot. IIRC, I completed the survey in Sept 2015. One of the questions specifically addressed a lower-cost model. Automatic transmission and turbos were also addressed in different questions.
    Polaris has also been talking about developing their own engine. Having the GM motor and transmission was one of the big selling points for me, especially as the main Poalris-designed and built component (the right angle drive and axle setup) has seemed problematic for a sizable number of purchasers.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• IMO...they should fix the problems with the current design before trying to come up with new options / variations.

Just REFINE what they already have:

Design / Source a whisper quiet right-angle drive.

Solve the passenger area heat problem in a meaningful way.

Etc.

They have a great concept which simply needs refinement...they shouldn't start messing with the recipe.

Look at the debacle with the 'Slingshade' roof. They can't get something that simple done. No way I want them building the engine / trans...

Zim

• What was the debacle with the slingshade?

• @Cameron Roberts I think Polaris jumped the gun a little on letting the buying public know about the top. I know who is making it for them (If I'm correct) it was a joint development. With the 2017s having the mounting holes already placed in the hoops they kind of needed to let people know why.

The ones seen in the videos I can promise you were development prototypes and not production. My guess is yes the system they used to hold the panels up have been reworked. I think what we will see used are standard gas struts. Simple design that can easily be replace under warranty for far less money.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• While I can understand @ZimDogs concern about refining what already has problems, unfortunately, that is NOT Polaris' approach to marketing. They never viewed the noisy right angle drive as a design flaw, instead thinking of it as another way of extracting money from their customers. The survey I took back in 2015 specifically asked if I would be willing to pay more for a quieter drivetrain.

• After This Slingshot I will probably not get another. Ticks me off Polaris is pumping out 2-3 models a year and changing every time. I get it, keeping up with what people want, but when a SS is "Out dated" a year later, Not good for owner. Plus trade in will probably deplete like crazy. MHO

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• I've had Polaris snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, side by sides, and all have problems, think I'd learn by now. Thought it would be different. Nope. I love my sling, but if another company made one, I would be the first person to buy. This is a G2 I'm thinking about.

• I've had Polaris snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, side by sides, and all have problems, think I'd learn by now. Thought it would be different. Nope. I love my sling, but if another company made one, I would be the first person to buy. This is a G2 I'm thinking about.

That is a little busy for my taste. I have a hard enough time with the Slingshot. Sometimes less is more. I say this but here I am sticking a top and wings to my SS. Go figure.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

when you get it, let me know.
    I will make a trip to Vermont to see it, and pick me up some maple syrup and cheese while i am there from Sugarbush farms. :thumbsup:

• ...Vermont, beautiful state, fond memories from my teens to early 20's

Hell, if I jinx myself, oh well. But, my 16.5 has been pretty solid with only a few minor issues such as hood latches, radio reception but not much rear angle drive noise. A few gremlins but nothing major.

Cross my fingers and throw salt over my shoulder

• There are some benefits to having an early 14 build. For one the subframe on my sling is steel. For two, there were hot wires under the seats for powering heated seats. Can't complain about that.

Interesting. Mine was built 4/14 and I don't recall seeing those wires under the seats. I'll have to look again. I do have the steel subframe.

• @Shatneyman I hear ya! Polaris was a swear word when I was into ATV's. No one had a Polaris in the club, well over 100 quads. However, I hear they've gotten better? I'm happy with Sling just not liking what I mentioned above. Pics look like a T-Rex with body kit? I almost went that route but not for $60-70k X/

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• You can get a kit or a complete version. Kits are about $25K and complete is about $35-$40K. The company is about 100 miles from where I live. They contacted me last year and had a rolling chassis complete, with everything, minus motor for $22K. I was all set to buy one a couple years ago, before the SS was released. I went with the SS and having a ball!