LED headlight stopped working

• Discovered this morning that one of the LED upgrade lights I bought from @slingmods last spring is out. When I pulled it out to inspect, @V-SHOT and I noticed that the internal fan is way louder and rougher sounding than the other LEDs. Is that an indication that the whole unit failed, or is there potentially another reason that the LED isn't illuminating? Anyone smart with LEDs who might know?

In the meantime, I'm running around with 5 of 6 LEDs on, and it looks dumb. It's gonna drive me bonkers.

• Discovered this morning that one of the LED upgrade lights I bought from @slingmods last spring is out. When I pulled it out to inspect, @V-SHOT and I noticed that the internal fan is way louder and rougher sounding than the other LEDs. Is that an indication that the whole unit failed, or is there potentially another reason that the LED isn't illuminating? Anyone smart with LEDs who might know?

In the meantime, I'm running around with 5 of 6 LEDs on, and it looks dumb. It's gonna drive me bonkers.

Let's tag @slingmods & see if they won't help you out... With less than 1 year of service, maybe they'll be kind enough to replace the defective unit?

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• A couple easy troubleshooting steps would be place the non working light in the socket that is working to rule out faulty wiring/connections.

If it works then you are one step closer to the issue since now you know there is something wrong with the wiring.

Place the working bulb in the non working socket if it works fine without issue then you might just have a defective bulb.

When working with car electronics one thing to always be in the lookout is for wires that might short circuit themselves with movement, a loose strand of wire can create havoc and can be easy to overlook.

Don't know about Slingmods leds specifically but most leds bulbs have a 10 year warranty, so they should be under warranty unless it is clearly user error.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I thought about that, but I figured that if there's power going to the fan in the LED, there must be power going to the LED....bad assumption?

• I thought about that, but I figured that if there's power going to the fan in the LED, there must be power going to the LED....bad assumption?

Here is a question for you kind sir.

When handing a gun to someone after removing the magazine even when you know the chamber is empty do you not still check and make sure it is ?

Same principle applies here, things can be overlooked and you should never rely on assumptions , always double check and confirm your assumptions.

• Here is a question for you kind sir.
    When handing a gun to someone after removing the magazine even when you know the chamber is empty do you not still check and make sure it is ?

Same principle applies here, things can be overlooked and you should never rely on assumptions , always double check and confirm your assumptions.

Pretty good way to get my attention, but this is slightly different in that I don't really understand the interaction between the fan and the light. I thought that if power was going to the fan, it should go to the light. What you're saying, I think, is that the light could be blown even if the fan is working? I thought LEDs don't blow like normal bulbs?

Also....is there any significance to the extra noise from the fan? It's not quiet....sounds like an older computer fan. All the others are quiet. One of these kids is doing his own thing, one of these kids just doesn't belong....

• First i would like to state that i have never seen a led bulb from slingmods and my assumptions are based on other leds that i have encountered.

You could very well just have a bad led bulb and a simple replacement could be all you need but given how sturdy good leds are if one fails i always assume something is up and double check everything, I have seen too many terrible wiring jobs to the point i never trust ANYONE's wiring until i check it myself and always think someone just fracked it up.

Main reason for the swap besides the obvious is that during the man_handling you should be able to rule out faulty/loose wiring that can be the result of cheap manufacturing/poor QC, loud fan noise could be indicative of bad bearings, cheap fan or debris caught in there.

Another reason for the swap is to test and make sure that the other bulb is not going to die as well while in that "faulty" socket using the same ballast.

You could also have a bad ballast not sending the appropriate voltage for the leds to work(leds are quite fickle) which might also make the fan be working harder hence the noise.

Swapping parts is the easiest way to figure out what is bad before you get replacements.

Also wouldn't it suck to get new bulbs just to find out that the same thing happened and you could have figured it out by a simple swap.

Electric problems in cars can quickly become a nightmare to troubleshoot and create more trouble than you think, which is why I always tell people to never leave a stone unturned and always double check all your connections.

The last thing you want is to have to pay for a technician to troubleshoot a random short and have to rewire your vehicle, that is not a pretty or fun bill.

Most problems are created by poor workmanship and easily avoided mistakes and if they are caught early can be solved but if allowed to linger can create a nuclear havoc.

Hopefully all you have is a bad bulb.

Edited once, last by Neosolidus ().

• Let's tag @slingmods & see if they won't help you out... With less than 1 year of service, maybe they'll be kind enough to replace the defective unit?

I missed this earlier. I had tagged them too, but I was also looking for an education on the fans/noise, and maybe a QA of my thought process. Hopefully it's just a bad unit, and it'll be covered under warranty.

• @KayTwo Apologies just now seeing these notifications, if you could please PM me some pictures of the light going out along with some personal info ( name under order and zip code, order ID if you have it) and we can get a warranty replacement going for you!

Our Collection:
    Rykers: 2019 Ryker 600 | 2019 Ryker 900 Rally
    Spyders: 2017 F3-S | 2018 RT Limited | 2019 F3 Limited
    Slingshots: 2015 Base | 2015 SL | 2016.5 SLE | 2018 SLR

forum-footer-image-2.gif

• @KayTwo Apologies just now seeing these notifications, if you could please PM me some pictures of the light going out along with some personal info ( name under order and zip code, order ID if you have it) and we can get a warranty replacement going for you!

Sure thing, I'll take some pics and send pertinent info. Thanks for getting back, I was going to email tonight after the kiddos go to bed. Saves me a step.

• @KayTwo Mine just went out the other day too!! At first I though "I just bought these thing less than a year ago and the damn thing is blown already!?! WTF??" and having upgraded to ALL LEDs with the conversion kit from the old HIDs that @slingmods had done for us early buyers from TDS, (those were crap IMHO and at NO FAULT of SLINGMODS!) They gladly hooked me up with the added housings and LED lights for a great price!

So back to the story.....I was driving in town on Saturday when i pulled up behind a pick-up truck with a chrome bumper and was admiring the nose of my slingy when I noticed "SHIT I THINK I HAVE A LIGHT OUT!" So right away I get on the slingmods site and send them a customer contact email hoping for some answers. The next day, Superbowl Sunday(lets not talk about how that day ended!!) my buddy who helped me install them was over and we decided to trouble shoot the issue (because the fukin game was OVER @ halftime, RIGHT??!! NOT!!) After taking them apart we realized the LED was still good but the little black box that's before the LED inline was bad! Today Slingmods is on it. Sent them a pic, and have a claim going to get it replaced! (What an awesome group of people!)

Moral to my story is that I too am annoyed that I have a "Popeye" effect on my slingy right now and its bugging the hell out of my OCD!!

Hope you get yours worked out soon cuz it sounds like a different issue! Below is a pic of what went out on mine!

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• Typically you pay per blow... I think buying stock would be getting married?

Nope thats not true!! All that stops once you put a ring on the finger!! I think women nowadays have figured out the trick to no more BLOWJOBS!

Kinda like some guys that never get married...."why buy the cow when the milk is free!"

Owner of Three's Da Life Fenders and Three's Da Life Apparel

Proud supporter of S.O.G. (Slingshot Owners Group) :thumbsup:

WWW.ROCKMYBLING.COM

• Nope thats not true!! All that stops once you put a ring on the finger!! I think women nowadays have figured out the trick to no more BLOWJOBS!

Kinda like some guys that never get married...."why buy the cow when the milk is free!"

That milk reference always seemed odd considering how man cows farmers tend to have.