Review of @mniron's Hood Button Installation

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Review of @mniron's Hood Button Installation

      I was given the opportunity to install a set @mnirons hood buttons and thought I would provide a review of the product.
      The kit includes everything needed to complete the installation to include the buttons, hardware, hole saw, center punch, and instructions.

      The instructions are very thorough and provide confidence in completing the install with step by step directions that have very clear pictures.
      The step of drilling a hole through the hood could have been the most nerve racking part, but it wan't because of the well thought out method used to find the exact location to drill

      What I would like to point is how this kit places the button in an area of the hood that mounts through the hood sub-structure and panel versus mounting just trough the panel.
      The following shows the difference between mounting through the outer panel on the left and the sub frame and outer panel and the right.
      After cutting the holes in the hood it is time to place the post through the steel structure the indicators mount to. Following the instructions and using the center punch with the nylon spacer, it was easy to mark the exact location to drill.

      The initial set up of the height of the pins was simple by using the measurements provided.
      After installing the pins you will have to close the hood to verify they line up with the holes you drilled in the hood. On both of the installations I have done I found the right signal arm was not aligned from factory correctly. I had to use a breaker bar to lower the end of the mount bar the indicator mounts to about 1/2 inch. It was a real easy process that took about 1 minute to complete.
      After verifying the pins lined up with the holes I installed the buttons. The hole saw provided was the exact size needed and the buttons installed snugly.

      Now all that was left was to close the hood and verify operation.
      One thing of importance to me is how this kit leaves the hood bumper intact and doesn't remove it. By leaving it in place it provides and added measure of strength to the hood when closing. If the hood is allowed to slam it will come in contact with the bumper and reduce the chance of damaging the pin.

      I am very pleased with this kit. The instructions are written very well and the engineering behind the installation was very well thought out.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Slingrazor ().

    • @Slingrazor, Thank you for the review of the instructions and the install. You had some insight of tweeking the frame from watching me do your install in Eureka Springs. Of all the installs that I have done yours was the first that I needed to adjust.

      This is important to note because I found it be be rather rare. If any one finds a similar issue or any other problem with their install, the directions provide my full contact information for any assistance.

      Thanks
    • Slingrazor wrote:

      I was given the opportunity to install a set @mnirons hood buttons and thought I would provide a review of the product.
      The kit includes everything needed to complete the installation to include the buttons, hardware, hole saw, center punch, and instructions.

      The instructions are very thorough and provide confidence in completing the install with step by step directions that have very clear pictures.
      The step of drilling a hole through the hood could have been the most nerve racking part, but it wan't because of the well thought out method used to find the exact location to drill

      What I would like to point is how this kit places the button in an area of the hood that mounts through the hood sub-structure and panel versus mounting just trough the panel.
      The following shows the difference between mounting through the outer panel on the left and the sub frame and outer panel and the right.
      After cutting the holes in the hood it is time to place the post through the steel structure the indicators mount to. Following the instructions and using the center punch with the nylon spacer, it was easy to mark the exact location to drill.

      The initial set up of the height of the pins was simple by using the measurements provided.
      After installing the pins you will have to close the hood to verify they line up with the holes you drilled in the hood. On both of the installations I have done I found the right signal arm was not aligned from factory correctly. I had to use a breaker bar to lower the end of the mount bar the indicator mounts to about 1/2 inch. It was a real easy process that took about 1 minute to complete.
      After verifying the pins lined up with the holes I installed the buttons themselves. The hole saw provided was the exact size needed and the buttons installed snugly.

      Now all that was left was to close the hood and verify operation.
      One thing of importance to me is how this kit leaves the hood bumper intact and doesn't remove it. By leaving it in place it provides and added measure of strength to the hood when closing. If the hood is allowed to slam it will come in contact with the bumper and reduce the chance of damaging the pin.

      I am very pleased with this kit. The instructions are written very well and the engineering behind the installation was very well thought out.

      mniron wrote:

      KayTwo wrote:

      @mniron, are you still selling this kit? I remember the discussion starting some months ago, but I don't remember if/how you were selling them.
      DIY kits are available, PM me for more information. Thanks
    • Very Nice @mniron. I'm still hoping for a professional install by you, but with the supercharger on, I'm thinking I may have to do this myself soon! I'm not sure Polaris did a wind tunnel their hood at 120 mph.

      Not that I've ever been that fast... or exceed the speed limit at all. This is not an admission of guilt or an acknowledgement of any kind, in any way of any nefarious activity.
      Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.
    • Texas T wrote:

      Very Nice @mniron. I'm still hoping for a professional install by you, but with the supercharger on, I'm thinking I may have to do this myself soon! I'm not sure Polaris did a wind tunnel their hood at 120 mph.

      Not that I've ever been that fast... or exceed the speed limit at all. This is not an admission of guilt or an acknowledgement of any kind, in any way of any nefarious activity.
      I would be happy to do yours when I am in Texas in April. You installed your supercharger, I know you can install the Fender Buttons. You can always get the kit and if you decide not to do it yourself, I will certainly install when we meet. Thanks
    • Texas T wrote:

      Very Nice @mniron. I'm still hoping for a professional install by you, but with the supercharger on, I'm thinking I may have to do this myself soon! I'm not sure Polaris did a wind tunnel their hood at 120 mph.

      Not that I've ever been that fast... or exceed the speed limit at all. This is not an admission of guilt or an acknowledgement of any kind, in any way of any nefarious activity.
      Supercharged or not... We need them!

      Photo is of @Texas T... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

    • Awesome review @Slingrazor!!! Thanks for posting such an informative and useful write-up!!! :00000436: I have the LED headlights, so thanks @Red for the heads-up about covering those assemblies!! :00000436:
      I purchased the hood button kit earlier this morning, and have just now read this thread. I knew I was going to buy the kit once it became available, but this thread simply confirms that I was smart (for once in my life) for waiting on perfection!!!!! Kuddos @mniron for putting together such an awesome kit, and also for taking the time to write detailed instructions that will make it so easy for us to install!!! :00000436:
      Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

      2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi
    • Live-a-Little! wrote:

      Does anyone have a PDF of the instructions they could post?

      I would like to read so I can compare the different approach with these buttons vs others offered that mount through the existing hood bumper location.

      Thanks
      @mniron will send you instructions when you buy a set. Not available before. Industrial espionage, and all that. :P
      :BLUESS:
    • Live-a-Little! wrote:

      Does anyone have a PDF of the instructions they could post?

      I would like to read so I can compare the different approach with these buttons vs others offered that mount through the existing hood bumper location.

      Thanks
      Two major differences:
      Mnirons mount through both layers of hood plastic not just the skin.
      It also retains the hood bumpers so any downward force on the hood doesn't push up on the buttons.
      Plus the springs are attached not just sitting on the post.
      I have them and they make a huge difference.
    • Live-a-Little! wrote:

      Does anyone have a PDF of the instructions they could post?

      I would like to read so I can compare the different approach with these buttons vs others offered that mount through the existing hood bumper location.

      Thanks
      @Live-a-Little! PM me and I will answer any question you have. I have money back policy if you purchase and you don't use them. I just offered the same to @kenny_h today and it was not even the same kit.

    Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.