Delaware, Dc, Virginia law

• Does anyone know if Delaware is a helmet or no helmet state. I will be traveling to Delaware from Maryland and need to know if I need to get a helmet or not. Also Virginia and DC is another state I will be traveling to.
    Thx in advance

• Hold on maybe I'm wrong. I just read the law for Maryland and it states helmet is required unless its an enclosed cabin. What does that mean???? for the short time that I've had mines (Day before Thanksgiving) I have definitely road it without helmet. With no problems from Police. I guess I'm not sure now!!

• Hold on maybe I'm wrong. I just read the law for Maryland and it states helmet is required unless its an enclosed cabin. What does that mean???? for the short time that I've had mines (Day before Thanksgiving) I have definitely road it without helmet. With no problems from Police. I guess I'm not sure now!!

Maryland is a required state for helmets on motorcycles. I would guess that sooner or later you will get pulled.

• Helmet is no longer required in North Carolina

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• Helmet is no longer required in North Carolina

When did the law change the North Carolina Law. I been to Bike week many times on my FatBoy and Ultra Classic and we always had to stop at the rest area when leaving South Carolina entering North Carolina to put our helmets on. I forgot one time and was pulled over but not ticketed. It has been a few years since I have been to bike week in Myrtle Beach so not sure if the law has changed.

• When did the law change the North Carolina Law. I been to Bike week many times on my FatBoy and Ultra Classic and we always had to stop at the rest area when leaving South Carolina entering North Carolina to put our helmets on. I forgot one time and was pulled over but not ticketed. It has been a few years since I have been to bike week in Myrtle Beach so not sure if the law has changed.

Only for Slingshots as far as I know. I ride up in the Blue Ridge couple times a week and never wear one, and cops just either wave or pass me by.

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• When did the law change the North Carolina Law. I been to Bike week many times on my FatBoy and Ultra Classic and we always had to stop at the rest area when leaving South Carolina entering North Carolina to put our helmets on. I forgot one time and was pulled over but not ticketed. It has been a few years since I have been to bike week in Myrtle Beach so not sure if the law has changed.

The law has not changed in NC
    New law for slingshots is no MC endorsement required
    Helmets are still required - Trust me this is 100% correct, lots of miss information out there

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @MACAWS is 100% correct. After the past year when I got conflicting reports from the State Police and Maggie Valley PD I contacted the NC Attorney Generals Office and this year I recommend EVERYBODY bring your brain bucket!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• @MACAWS is 100% correct. After the past year when I got conflicting reports from the State Police and Maggie Valley PD I contacted the NC Attorney Generals Office and this year I recommend EVERYBODY bring your brain bucket!!

Damn I feel like I just won my first court case!
    Thank You
    Your Honor

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Damn I feel like I just won my first court case!Thank You
    Your Honor

The law is the law whether we agree with it or not ;( No legal leg to stand on as far as I can tell - go helmetless at your own peril.....I HATE HELMETS!!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• A motorcycle endorsement is no longer required for an SS- helmets are still mandatory.I know there has been some confusion about this but I have had it verified twice

Virginia State Law: § 46.2-910. Motorcycle and autocycle operators to wear helmets, etc.; certain sales prohibited; penalty.
    Operators and passengers riding on motorcycles with wheels of eight inches or less in diameter or in three-wheeled motorcycles or autocycles that have nonremovable roofs, windshields, and enclosed bodies shall not be required to wear protective helmets.

• Goodness! This topic never seems to die.

In Northern Virginia, ride without a helmet, top or not, at your own risk. Finally got a top a few months ago, and talked to a LEO in a parking lot. He advised to wear a bucket.

If you want to carry a printout of some state law, and be your own lawyer on the side of the road, go for it. If the cops smile and wave as you go by bucketless, they just met quota, and are off to party. Doesn't mean you are good, just lucky.

I always reek of alcohol, and really don't want to socialize with the law. Get youself a shorty bucket. I wear mine like a hat. Drop it on my head, but never lace it up. Easy-peasy.

Lots of outstanding advice from folks 10x smarter than me on this forum. But, dang, I have heard some really wrong advice on buckets from forum members. So wear one. It won't kill you.

Last I checked, and it was a bit ago, Virginia wanted windshields with wipers (not me), and who knows what "enclosed body" means. Not gonna leave that up to a LEO who has NOT made quota. I think the Virginia language was for Elio (rest their soul) & maybe Tanom, not us good people in Slingshots.

@MACAWS should know very well the NC laws. Though visiting him last fall for a ride through NC, I was told no helmets necessary. Only to find out that it was one man's opinion that in NC "they just don't care". Sure.

And, maybe it is just me, for long rides I will always wear a bucket. Eating sand, rocks, dust, dirt, apple cores, banana peels, cigarette butts, fast food wrappers, chicken bones, bird shit, birds, blah in my 2 wheel days taught me the merits of a bucket with a pull down visor.