Garage/workshop storage tricks

• Inspired by @jaycanter, @rabtech, @MACAWS, @Painter, @av8ingtom, and more.

What neat tricks or organizers do you use to keep your work area clean and shipshape? I don't necessarily mean pegboard or a set of store-bought shelves or drawers, although that could be part of your solution, but what are the out-of-the box tricks?

For me, my dad used to build houses when he was a young man, and he used to attach jar lids to the underside of a shelf, and then screw in the jars, with various fasteners inside, or drill bits or whatever. I've used that ever since.

He also taught me how to build a really simple and basic set of shelves that I've recreated in every garage I've ever had.

I also like storing stuff up high, like the bike pulley systems, or building a set of shelves that will hold the large storage bins.

What about you?

• Not all garage "tricks" to store things, but here are a couple I did.

I built my own storage/work bench. Every panel is screwed, glued and nailed. I figured you can't stop someone from stealing your stuff, but you can make it difficult. It has all my power and pneumatic tools and my hand toolbox in it when they're not in the house or on a job being used, like now.

For hat wearers, I found this to looks good and holds a lot of hats. I had a spinning coat rack that I cut the top two feet off, flipped the hooks and mounted to the ceiling with 3"screws. I can't find a photo of it. :huh:

If you have cats and don't like the store bought litter boxes. You can make your own with a toy box, plastic sheeting, fluorescent light lenses, indoor outdoor carpet and a plastic tub that fits in the toy box. Just cut a cat sized "mouse hole" in the side. ;)

• Just put up 60 ft of double height slat wall. Made a rack for my wrenchs and now working on another for sockets. Heated area of shop is 36x60 and overall garage is 75x60. Way more tools than needed said no man. Just hate not being able to move around

• I love storage.... I have changed the way I use the pegboard. I used to hang everything up on it. Now I have drawers in several large Kobalt tool boxes that hold all my tools. I just walked in to the garage one day and said to myself that I couldn't stand seeing all the stuff hanging anymore. I use a bunch of those plastic tray organizers to hold stuff also. I will post up some pictures when I go out there tomorrow.

I do like the slat wall. I have a bunch of it in storage from when I had a retail computer store. I also have a ton of super heavy wire wall grid. I bought it to put shelves on the wall that would hold full computer systems.

• I have a farm but rent out the land, my tractor is a 50 hp toy. I like to buy bulldozers and equipment that need work and fix them up and sell them. Also do a lot of buying odds and ends when a deal comes up. Give it a going over and a earl scheib paint job and out the door. I like to tinker I guess. This was the last one that I sold. Made enough to pay for half my SS when I made the deal.

• I am with @rabtech on getting the tools down off the pegboard, just hard to keep the place clean.
    I just found a nice tool box at Costco for $600 going to get one next week. As for storage "Chinese Food Containers" or as we call it Italian Tupperware. Fill label it put it away. Those cheap organize bins you get at harbor freight work well and stack nicely.
    My bench tops are all Stainless Steel easy to keep clean, gift from a friend. Biggest mistake I made was an epoxy floor. Great for a show room but sucks in a working shop. I have been working on this building for 7 years. Just keep adding to it. Basic building is 30' x 50' the building with the camper is 24' x 30' with an 8' side pod. Behind the main building are 2 of those boat storage sheds connected together.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @MACAWS that will do, that will do just fine. ;) Nice setup.

Thanks @WOLF,
    Having a shop has always been a a dream of mine, when we were kids we built everything outside under tarps. then my first house had a garage so small I couldn't fir a car in it. When I was 50 when started building down here and the shop went up first. Could care less about the house! As you can tell I spend a lot of time in there.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I am with @rabtech on getting the tools down off the pegboard, just hard to keep the place clean.
    I just found a nice tool box at Costco for $600 going to get one next week. As for storage "Chinese Food Containers" or as we call it Italian Tupperware. Fill label it put it away. Those cheap organize bins you get at harbor freight work well and stack nicely.
    My bench tops are all Stainless Steel easy to keep clean, gift from a friend. Biggest mistake I made was an epoxy floor. Great for a show room but sucks in a working shop. I have been working on this building for 7 years. Just keep adding to it. Basic building is 30' x 50' the building with the camper is 24' x 30' with an 8' side pod. Behind the main building are 2 of those boat storage sheds connected together.

Having seen it personally, pictures don't do it justice! Mitch, you have the proverbial man-cave-castle-workshop. LOVE IT!!!! :thumbsup:

• That is a nice setups Macaw! I thought about the epoxy floor in mine but after being in a buddies with winter boots on and almost landing on my ass I had second thoughts and just put cure seal on the cement. I filled all the saw lines. Makes sweep up real easy. My floor is heated with an outdoor wood furnace and I keep it at 60 all winter.

@MACAWS get the 52 inch or better yet I think it is the 62 inch, you will not regret it. Or go to Home Depot and get the 62 inch wide with the split drawers. Instead of the 1 drawer all the way across it is 2.

• Thanks @WOLF,Having a shop has always been a a dream of mine, when we were kids we built everything outside under tarps. then my first house had a garage so small I couldn't fir a car in it. When I was 50 when started building down here and the shop went up first. Could care less about the house! As you can tell I spend a lot of time in there.

Back in 1982 after the divorce I asked the boys what we needed, a house or a work shop. Well we all agreed on the work shop which became the play room. I was supporting 6 bikes at the time. (26' x 36') TV's - Surround sound - Heat and air - freezer which is used for some other storage - Refrig. Never hooked up the bath room

• That is a nice setups Macaw! I thought about the epoxy floor in mine but after being in a buddies with winter boots on and almost landing on my ass I had second thoughts and just put cure seal on the cement. I filled all the saw lines. Makes sweep up real easy. My floor is heated with an outdoor wood furnace and I keep it at 60 all winter.

Thanks gooseman - I wish I though of a heated floor, I have a 5 ton heat pump that works pretty well. I don't mind the cold so much as the heat and humidity so I love the AC most. And yes I have landed on my butt many a time with wet feet.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!