UK_Paul's - Slingshot Build & Other Adventures -

• The "How I met my SlingShot" story continues.......
    We all meet up at BikeFest.

As me tioned previously, we all had a good trip over and were on our way from the ferry to the show at Killarney.

A couple that were bringing a Polaris bike over on the same ferry. getting ready to depart.

We'd all arrived and Elaine & I were camping, so we put up our tent. It was at this stage I started to suffer with my recent illness (Elaine said that was very convenient) but a friend helped set up camp and I was able to take a bit off a rest. (This year we have booked a posh hotel).

Time for a nice cup of tea, then off to the show.

One of our friends that had also come over with us (his back to camera) having a chat, with me (facing camera), before we head off to the showground.

Possibly the best way to show you all what BikeFest is like is to include a short film'#. recorded about 5-6 years ago now.
    The event has grown a lot since the time it was filmed but it gives a fair idea of what it's like.

Check out the link below:

All the best, from UK_Paul

• Friday evening......

Everyone started to meet up, at a very appropriate, predefined location.
    A bar. :thumbup:

Stories were swapped and more people arrived.
    The new Polaris Motorcycle distributor was fully aware of our timetable and I had coordinated with them to withhold the announcement of the new dealership opening. 17:00 hrs came around and it was "Official!" :thumbsup:
    The Harley Davidson staff at the show were surprised, but put on a brave face, the riders that had all come over with us were ecstatic. Next job was to get the bikes on the stand. We also organised a rotation of motorcycles, to display on the stand, enabling riders to also get out and ride the roads with there bikes.

We all took a cursory eye of the festival and then returned to the bar......

Almost everyone had now seen it............ (apart from, my wife Elaine).
    What?

8o A SlingShot was at the show!!!! 8o

All you readers knew it was coming (from my previous comments).
    No-one else, at the show, had any idea.

Now it was starting to get dark and it was time to hit the town and try out the "Black Stuff!"
    - What is a Pint of the Black Stuff? -

• After a good nights sleep, it was time to take a proper look at the show.

Many more people were arriving with different motorcycles and given the struggle that I'd had putting up camp we had earlier had a long discussion as to weather I would be strong enough to complete the ride through Killarney town, on Sunday. We decided that I'd give it a go, but I'd need to be careful. In discussion with some of the other riders we arranged to have someone, (that knew me well,) ride alongside me, just in case I needed any help. In addition one of our other riders was a nurse and they would also ride with me, for additional cover. (I had to admit... Yes I was in a pretty rough way).

Well before the Sunday ride we had all of Saturday to enjoy the show. Stands, bands, food and merchandise were all readably available, the weather was good and we spent the day relaxing and enjoying the show.

We had a good, long chat with the new distributors - AKB Distribution - Motorcycle Wholesale Distributor Ireland l Online Motorcycle Products - of the Polaris motorcycles.

Elaine even spotted a trike that she liked to look of.
    But she then, because I still felt under the weather, thought that I'd already seen it and by the time she had taken this photo, I'd jumped on it for a quick go.

At one point, I decided that I needed to make myself a little more inconspicuous.
    So I donned a very subtle wig, to hide my lack of hair. :P

As the day progressed Elaine and I drifted from stand to stand and then as we went around one row of stands.
    There it was........
    A Bright Red SlingShot!

We both walked onto the - - All Spares ATV - stand and Elaine was into the SlingShot, like it was just about to disappear.
    Elaine commented. "I didn't expect to see one of those here. Did you know it was coming?"
    I simply replied by saying "Yes." :D

A small stand but big interest.

After a few questions we were both back in it again.
    Just look at the grins on our faces.

We both got out of the SlingShot and THEN Elaine said to me.
    "I HATE YOU!"
    "IT'S GEORGIOUS!" - "It's so much better in the flesh than in the photos."
    Well that was it.
    The SlingShot became the hot topic of discussion. After a few (well OK, a lot) more visits, back to the stand a ride was arranged for the two of us.

Edited 4 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• Saturday night was great with some wonderful company. The event organiser also met up with me and we arranged to get all the Polaris vheicals (Victory Indian & Slingshot) together for the Sunday ride through Killarney.

Lee at Alspares ATV.
    - All Spares ATV -
    Had told me that if I was still not feeling too well then he'd take me on the ride through town, in the Slingshot but I was delighted to manage it on the Vegas (but the offer was still on, if I needed it).

Elaine and I talked that evening and decided I would ride......

• it's Sunday!

Time to get up and get everyone together for the ride, through Killarney.
    We had agreed to meet outside the Gleneagle hotel that was located at the centre of the show at 09:45 for a 10:00 departure. (Wow yes! Everyone turned up promptly).

Spot on 10:00 hrs. we joined in with the main group and headed off for the ride, through town.

The SlingShot was at the head of our section, with both Indians and Victorys following.

The parade is extremely well attended and the town is full to bursting with motorcycles and people, having a great time.

All sorts of people and vehicles turn up.

Even the occasional Can-Am was there.

But.......
    Guess what got all of the attention?

As, I'd previously mentioned, the riders were keeping an eye out for me (to make sure I was OK) and had arranged for a nurse to ride along side.
    :thumbsup: It looks like I did all right, as the SlingShot moved over and let me through the main street in front. :thumbsup:

• The run through Killarney was spectacular.
    It just gets bigger each year.

Arriving, successfully, back at the place where we started. ^^

It was hard work for me but well worth the effort. Everyone had been great looking after me, as I rode and I was just so pleased to have completed it. Elaine had gone into town and had taken some of the photos that I've posted.

Next job.....
    Time for some more beer.

Everyone was pleased to have taken part and we all had memories to talk about.
    After that we went off into town, with some of the others to experience some of the great hospitality of the local people. You would be unable to walk into a pub without someone starting up a chat and giving you their life story.

I had previously visited this pub, some years ago now. The evening that I had been in a, well known, English drummer had decided to sit in and help out the local teenage band, as their normal drummer had gone off on holiday, to Ibiza, for a couple of weeks.
    The drummer had been living in Killarney, before moving on to a new home in South Africa and one of the people that I gone to the pub with knew him, quite well.
    I was very doubtful that this particular drummer was actually going to be playing a venue like this, but thought... I've got nothing to loose by going to watch. (The tables in front of the stage, in this picture, weren't there, at this time).
    Just before the band came on I nipped of the bathroom and they started playing.
    WOW..... It sounded just like him, but NO.... it couldn't be.
    When I returned to the bar' I thought. "Well maybe it is him", but you couldn't really tell.

So Who Was It???
    Just hold on a while and you'll find out.

As he continued playing (no vocals at all). The drumming was just amazing and on the last number, someone picked up a Bar Stool and offered it up for him to play on. Well yes, he got one stunning tune out of it!!! 8o Yes a tune, not a rhythm.
    So the gig was now over and he came straight off stage and over to my mate & I at the bar.......

His first comment (in a very deep, gruff voice) was......
    "I 'ate playing fu€k!*g furniture!"

It was Ginger Baker. :thumbsup: Yes the very same man had been hiding all night under his hat and not making a big show of the fact he was the stand in, for that night.
    For any of you under 45. Ginger Baker was the drummer in Cream.
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_(band) - Simply one of the best bands ever.
    We had a great evening and it turns out he used to know my dad, when he was younger, and recalled him riding through a shop window, when on a (with a fixed wheel) bicycle.
    A great evening was had by all and none of could stand properly, at the end of the evening.

Well that was many years ago now and we ended up in the same state on this trip without any help from Mr Baker.
    Time for bed.

Edited 2 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• One thing that I missed, in the last instalment, above.
    This whole event is big and it is totally free, for all the attendees!

It looks like Polaris may have missed a trick by not attending themselves. It's a great potential market, with visitors from all over Europe.
    To give you all (including Polaris, if this gets to be seen by them]) a perspective of the size of the event.
    The picture shows the music & entertainment venue, (again all free, during the festival,) attached to the show ground. This fills out every night, of the show, with the visitors watching various bands.
    It gives an impression of just how big this event is.

But then Polaris Britain couldn't be bothered to make the effort, last year.
    Perhaps Polaris' US HQ will put a big boot up someone's back side, next time ?( and get something done about it.

Edited 2 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• Don't say the word free to loud Paul :00006725:
    Perhaps one day soon there will be snake bites on the table for all at a Pub near you :00008674:

• Last day of the show.

After a wonderful Sunday, with great company, riding through Killarney, along with all the other bikers, we had now reached the last day of the show.
    Everything starts to wind down around midday, Monday and the traders begin to pack up the stands. The show continues, for the rest of the day and evening, but everything now starts to slow down.

We said our goodbyes to the Victory/Indian dealers and arranged to meet up with them again. They were so pleased to of had our help with the bikes on the stands and anyone that had theirs on the stand cleaned, by them, with an incredible cleaner, that they had imported from France, into The Irish Republic. And it worked unquestionably well.
    - Motorcycle Products Online Ireland l Motorcycle Accessories - - Welcome to Noline ! -

I know how good it works, as the guys cleaned my Vegas and also gave me a bunch of labels, that I'll certainly be using with both the Victory and now the SlingShot.

I had not mentioned, in my previous posts, that we had both arranged with Lee, from All Spares, to go for a ride with him, in the SlingShot, on the Monday, so this is what we now intended to do. We had arranged to meet at the back of one of the hotels and Elaine & I were, now, both getting pretty excited.

First ride was for Elaine.
    See.... I'm a polite English gentleman. :love:

Well, it certainly didn't impress Elaine. (British irony).
    We didn't get the opportunity to ride it ourselves, as the insurance wouldn't cover us for a test drive, in a foreign country.
    When Elaine got back, she was ecstatic! Lee, from All Spares is a great driver and had taken her for a ride through some country roads and she was now inspired.
    I followed on with my ride and sure, Lee drives great. However one of the highlights for me was that as we pulled onto the highway, outside the showground a guy in a Ferrari was coming along, what is an understandably busy road and he just stopped......

His jaw dropped in wonderment!!! :thumbsup:

I suspect that I'll be seeing, just a little, more of this as time goes in with the SS.

Edited 3 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• Agree! Makes for very enjoyable reading & we appreciate the time & effort involved. Hope you continue to heal thoroughly & rapidly... :thumbup:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• The show was now over, but we stopped on for an extra day and headed of to an archetypal Irish fishing port called called Dingle.

The road out to dingle runs along the Atlantic coast and would it be great to ride in the SlingShot. Perhaps this year we will take it for a ride, to the same place, or maybe it will be time to discover an unfamiliar location.
    The day had lots of discussion about the SlingShot and it was apparent that we were both very taken by the idea of getting one. This day out, to Dingle confirmed things. I was not strong enough to ride my motorcycle all the way out and back, from Killarney, so we had taken the car. Had we owned a SlingShot, then we would have had the best of both worlds. Elaine & I could share the driving, we would have the thrill of the coast ride and shear joy of riding in it.

Some of the views, along the way, are absolutely breath taking.

Time to head back to Killarney and a final evening in the town.

• It's now time to head off, back home, again.
    The show is over and everyone has now gone or is leaving today.

One of the leaflets created to help the riders, know what was happening.

The showground is now cleared and ready for the next event. Life, work and business will go on.
    After a long journey, back to the dock, at Rosslare, we arrived for an early evening departure, back to Britain.

We had a good trip back over the Irish Sea and finally arrived home in the small hours of Tuesday morning.

So. What comes next????

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().

• The pictures are absolutely beautiful.. I hope to make it over there in the year or two. I have never left the US borders. But I'm thinking it's about time to see what is beyond them..

Rabtec.
    You must try and make your way over to Europe. It's a very different place to the North America and you will probably look at life in a very different way, once you have done it.
    Hey! My house would have first been built almost 100 years before you had your war of independence with us, as I believe that it was made of ship timbers, taken from the wrecks of the Spanish Armada, in 1588.
    - Spanish Armada - Wikipedia -

I'm not so sure about my shed, in the garden though. ;)

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().