UK_Paul's - Slingshot Build & Other Adventures -

• @kev You also asked if they were based on the Lotus 7. Yes they were. As Colin Chapman started producing newer designs he dropped the 7 and Caterham cars took it on, in 1973, with the production rights.

However, they have continually developed the Vheical and although it may look the same as a Lotus 7, it is now a very different machine altogether.

All the best, from UK_Paul

• So, what's the latest with UK_Paul over in Britain

This weekend I travelled up to Birmingham.
    - Birmingham - Wikipedia -
    For those of you that may not know about Birmingham, it was, to the Industrial Revolution, what Silicon Valley is the the I.T. industry today.

The reason for my visit was to see a guy and his band that may or may not be as well known to you in North America, as he is in Europe. He was a founder member of The Movie, E.L.O. & Wizzard.
    - Roy Wood - Wikipedia -

Roy Wood is a very talented rock star that started his chart career in the mid 60's. He plays very many different instruments but never liked being in the spotlight. He went from a "Mod band" and lead musick into the 70's "Glam Rock" age.

This year Elaine and I went to see him in Britain's second biggest city's Symphony Hall. It's a large venue and I must admit that he did look a little nervous when talking between songs, however I was very lucky to see him a couple of years ago at a venue, close to where he grew up. That venue could probably not hold many more than 100 people and he played like a true :00000156: "Wizzard" :00000156:

So... You may still be wondering who he is.
    You may recognize his face.

Would you just believe it ???
    As I type this one of his songs is being played on the radio, along side me.
    It gets massive air play, every Chrismas and will always keep a good roof over his head.
    I'll post a link at the bottom of this posting.

The picture above was what he looked like when he made the song, playing on the radio, just now.

The picture, immediately, above this is what he looks like today. Still rocking and over 70 years old.

The eveing was a great one. A very talented man, a legend in the music industry and someone that could have been sitting in Beverly Hills, alongside his mate Jeff Lynn, had he not have disliked the fame.

Now if all this means nothing then check out the link below.

-

-

This record has charted a few times since it was first released in the 70's and now it has charted each year, in the download charts, for the last 10 years.

Edited 2 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• Those of you that have been following this thread, from the start will have seen, I have experienced some major problems with the Polaris radio that was fitted, from the factory.

You will also know that I have taken steps to resolve this, myself, as Polaris have not made any effort to help. During my efforts to find what was wrong with the factory product, I was persuaded by some very clever people to fit some additioal equipment into a new, replcement radio.

One of the additions to the radio, is a device that wilk recognise people standing near the SlingShot. It will know who they are and will be able to send them an email (after they have spent a pre-set time by It, or if they return). The SlibgShot can even great them, when they come back a second or third time (yes it can count to).

I discussed this with a journalist that I respected, in the UK only to be shot down in flames. (OK everyone to there own opinion). But it is the way things are going to change in our world. This technology will eventually be used all over the place. So even though he didn't think it a good idear, I continued with the development.

Well, it is already used now...
    You can see from my posting above that I spent time in Birmingham, last weekend.

Today I received an email...
    This is my experience.
    It was from a resterant, (Wagamamas), located across the other side of a pathway from where I had eaten a meal in an independent restaurant.

The restaurant had known that I was at/near them (for the time it took to eate the meal) and had therefore assumed that I was eating at their outlet. Today they sent me a nice message to my personal email account, using my full name and details and giving me incentives to go back to them again.

They wanted to know if I enjoyed my meal and wanted to promote the local restaurant, near where I live. This may all sound a little spooky, but it is just what we will all be living with and also working with, very soon. (Wallmart will even know what section of the stoor you stop in and for how long). I know that, in the UK, McD' and Starbucks use this technology but only think they are using it to harvest information, at this time.

This is all made with the same technology that is in my SlingShot and wired into the radio (and then off to the cloud). So if someone takes toooooo much interest in the SS, then I'll know just who they are.

Looks like Big Brother is finely with us all.

Edited 2 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• @kev - @SlingLow - @WOLF - @FunCycle - @dangerdarrell - @Spudinator
    It's all to do with something known as "iBeacon and Eddystone technology."

It may also become known as proximity marketing, as this is what will enable the industry to develop. If you keep passing a particular coffy shop, the next time you do it you will be reminded that you could go in... you go in... they recommnd that you buy a muffin, with your usual coffee.

So, these devices can be set up to work as people pass by, or check who is doing the passing and if they come back. The developments will just grow and grow, it's all part of the Internet Of Things that we are all starting to hear about now.

At a recent big exhbition of Pink Floyd props & artwork, in London. All you had to do was aproch an inividual display and it would then tell you all about it, on your cell phone. (No scaning of codes or making calls. Just appoach the item). All at no cost to the person receiving the information.

The European Union is considering legislating these things, but it won't stop the development of it.

• Can @MACAWS get in his time machine and go get us a few flip phones? Do they even still sell them?

Listen up wise guys - Flip phones are not only still available they are making a come back.
    Laugh all you want soon I can break my bell bottoms out of the closet and they will be in style. It is a shame I can't muster up enough hair for a mullet or I would be the cool kid on the forum - Just Sayin

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• YOU GOT MY VOTE COOLCAWS ! anybody who can travel the world regularily as much as you do and still manage all that without a smart phone must know something the rest of us don't ! I'm lost without mine, but then again my wife says that about me even when I DO HAVE MY PHONE !

• YOU GOT MY VOTE COOLCAWS ! anybody who can travel the world regularily as much as you do and still manage all that without a smart phone must know something the rest of us don't ! I'm lost without mine, but then again my wife says that about me even when I DO HAVE MY PHONE !

I actually manage to run an import business with just a laptop and a flip phone. Can work from anywhere in the world. The real reason I do not carry a smart phone is because of business. Text messaging can create more problems than they can solve. There is nothing better than direct conversation. Texts tend to be very short and easily misunderstood. So I avoid them. Unfortunately the upcoming generations do not like any personal contact and god forbid there is a confrontation and they can't hide behind a phone.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I actually manage to run an import business with just a laptop and a flip phone. Can work from anywhere in the world. The real reason I do not carry a smart phone is because of business. Text messaging can create more problems than they can solve. There is nothing better than direct conversation. Texts tend to be very short and easily misunderstood. So I avoid them. Unfortunately the upcoming generations do not like any personal contact and god forbid there is a confrontation and they can't hide behind a phone.

YES how true, I was just reading an article by one of Americas top Salesmen turned successful business tycoon in the Tech Industry,but I cant remember his name right now but I REMEBER HIS QUOTE and words of advice, and this was within the last year, he said ''Never, never substitute a phone call with an email if you want to be successful in todays world, and teaching our Millenials that will be our biggest challenge ! " So I guess all great minds think alike eh Mitch?

• I actually manage to run an import business with just a laptop and a flip phone. Can work from anywhere in the world. The real reason I do not carry a smart phone is because of business. Text messaging can create more problems than they can solve. There is nothing better than direct conversation. Texts tend to be very short and easily misunderstood. So I avoid them. Unfortunately the upcoming generations do not like any personal contact and god forbid there is a confrontation and they can't hide behind a phone.

Aha! So you really DO own a smart phone!!!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014