UK_Paul's - Slingshot Build & Other Adventures -

• UK_Paul good to hear from you! It sounds like you are doing what you can to keep from getting this virus. I have to admit, I am isolating much more than I anticipated at first. My biggest issue is the governor of my state, Washington, has closed the woods to recreation and the rivers for fishing! Just another power trip to let us know he is the man in charge. I sue hope we can move past this soon and get back to a normal existence.

Man, there's nothing I'd like more than to jump on a plane and come over there to help you with some Slingshot projects and go knock around the countryside for a few days. Maybe I could make that happen. I'd better start learning the language!

Cheers to you mate!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• UK_Paul I just read a post on another forum by someone looking to buy a Slingshot in the UK. He said he'd like to find a 2018 SLR or newer. He also said he was able to test drive a turbo unit but it ran poorly, made a lot of noise and had little power. I just thought I'd see if you know of any for sale and I'd get him in touch directly with you. Cheers!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• UK_Paul I just read a post on another forum by someone looking to buy a Slingshot in the UK. He said he'd like to find a 2018 SLR or newer. .......... I'd get him in touch directl. Cheers!

SlingLow

Sorry for the delay, in sending this reply.

With regards to buying a 2018 Slingshot, in the UK., that will be very difficult (actualy impossible) now, as the Slingshot no longer meets the European emission regulations, so the last model that would be available, will be the 16.5 model. I also understand that all European slingshots had a slightly different mapping of the ECU to US versions.

Any Slingshots, imported into Europe, before the regulations changed (known as EU4 emmisions standards - for motorcycles) will be leagal, however all subsequent imports did not meet the EU regulations and so, may not be driven on European, public, roads.

Well that's the bad news, now let's look at the good news.

Your contact can, initially, get in touch with me, through face book:

https://www.facebook.com/paul.andrews.3958

So can any other members of this site that may wish to, that read this. 😁

There may be a "slight" possibility of one, that may be available, just a little north of London. I think that the owner has not used his SS for a while now and may be persuaded to part with it.

The next option would be to join the French, Facebook page - Slingshot France - as they try to keep track of the European models, that may be for sale.

Conclusions...

Well it's going to be difficult to get a Slingshot over here now (as I've said in other postings "I only think we have 6 on the roads, in the UK.").

I think I know of the turbo model that was talked about (if it's a black one) and to be honest, I would avoid it, (but am happy to discuss, what I know of, its possible history).

Well, I hope this helps, move things forward, with your contact. If he's successful in getting hold of one, he will become part of a very exclusive club.

All the best, from UK_Paul

• Update time.

Things have not moved forward, much, from my last update, on how things are in the UK.

We still appear to be on a, very, much stricter isolation program, than the US. I have only seen 3 people, in the last 7 or 8 weeks now and they were all medical staff, visiting my home. I have not left my home or garden, in all this time and I am now receiving government food parcels, each week. The isolation is so restricted that any home deliveries are made the other side of a closed door. In France & Spain, you can not even leave your home, without the apropriate documentation. (Most of Europe is similar). We still do not have any shops open, except food shops & pharmacies, even attendance to the doctors, is discouraged.

Should I choose to take the Slingshot out, for a ride. (I'm not going to do that). You can be sure that I would get stopped, by the police and fined, for attempting to do so.

People are still allowed out, for essential travel or 1hr exercise, each day. But we must still maintain a 2m (6ft) gap between people, unless it is a partner that you are living with. We are expecting some relaxation of the restrictions, in the next few weeks, as our hospitals did not become overloaded, as rapidly as had been expected. Our "R" number is now running at about 0.7 (I understand the US remains 2.5 - 3.0). R is the rate of contagion/person.

Today, a phone app is being tried out, to track the spread of the virus. Some people have complained that this is an infringement of privacy. However these tend to be the same people that post about it on Twitter & Facebook and have been supplying the information to these service providers, for years. 🤔

Well life goes on, for now. We all put up with the conditions, as we have no other options. It's not something that we want to do, but it is something we must do, to stay safe.

Wishing you all well,

UK_Paul

• So let's see what's happening, in the UK.

(Not a Covid 19 update)

Polaris are still not importing the Slingshot, into Europe and the official goverment list shows a total of 16, on the road. Some of which are to be believed to be garaged. An additional 3 are registered, as not on the road (one of which is mine). So it still only leaves 5 or 6 actualy being used on our roads now.

We do however have one guy, trying to import (what I belive to be) a 2019 model. It has now reached the UK docks, so he will need to get it, throgh customs & pay the tax on it. Then get it registered for use on European roads and finally, taxed & insured.

I anticipate, that these are just the start of the hurdles, that may need to be negotiated before, it is cleared as road leagal. This may be an interesting story, to see how it pans out, as it may open the door to other European imports, if it can be achieved.

I'll keep you informed...

Stay Safe.

• life is getting a little easier in the England now. Yesterday was the first day that I was permitted to leave my home (until then I was instructed, by the government, to stay "inside" my home).

The weather is improving and it would normaly be time to get the Slingshot out and ride, but that's not going to happen, due to the lockdown restrictions, still and I also need an MOT. (road worthiness certificate). But all MOT stations are still closed, so that's not going to happen.

In France they are making plans for the 2021, Trike-Fest and Hope's are high that people will be allowed to attend, if we have made progress, with fighting the virus.

We are getting news, from the US about the civil unrest that you are having. It looks like your president is making things even worse (not political point), just an observation. I wish you all the best in resolving this dire problem.

That's about all the news, from this side of the pond, for now.

Stay safe.

• BBQ time, then on into the evening and time to relax, with Elaine, my wife & a beer, or two.

The picture, doesn't show it but the veiw out across the valley is, really, tremendous.

• Time for an update, about the guy, in Britain, that was trying to import a 2019 Sling' into the country.

I don't know the full details, but he was attempting to get one from Canada. When he started he appeared unaware of the fact that he'd need to pay... Import duty, Value Added Tax, Vehical Excise duty, 5 years road tax & customs fees.

If that wasn't bad enough. I hear from him, today that he was scammed!

Apparently the seller kept asking for more mony and eventually the buyer, appears to have cut his losses.

There must be a message in there somewhere, perhaps if the offer looks too good, it may be too good.

Anymore info that comes my way, I'll let you know.

• Sorry to hear a potential Slingshot Friend across the pond got scammed!

• Following up on the Slingshot import, to Britain.

It appears that it arrived in the UK, but I now suspect that, perhaps, all the additional charges just became way too much for the guy.

• Any Brits' out there that may be looking to purchase a (EU leagal) Slingshot, one may now be on the market.

It's a 16 model, with just 1,241 miles, on the clock.

Only a very few of these are legal to use, in Europe & the UK. This is one of those.

it is still in the original form,apart than a new steering wheel (the seller still has the original).

Get in contact with me, if you have a serious interest & I'll try and put you together, with each other.