Rear Fender Bracket Design

• I was at Princess Auto the other day and saw the perfect metal fender. I know I have the skills to cut it with the perfect chevron on the tail end and if I have enough rum in me I can be shakey enough to get a nice bead when I weld a bracket
    However I don't have a clue what the bracket should look like. I have watched a few videos and I know where to drill on the swing arm but that's the extent. Is a bracket available for sale so I don't have to rebuild the wheel or if not is there any designs out there with measurements from someone who has been down this road. Any idea just thought I would post so I could get some points so I wouldn't be "NEW" :00008862:

• Have you had any problems with metal fatigue? I made brackets out of flat stock and it kept cracking so I chucked the whole thing

we have had a few issues along the way
    1st design - we used 1/2" round tubing- cracked
    2nd design - we used 1/2" round solid rod- and added a few more supports- - worked well, but due the fact that i did not use Blue Locktite on the two bolts in the swing-arm - the bolt on the drivers side swing-arm came loose and fell out. We were out late at night-dark, no tools - we continued to drive home and it stressed the welds on the two rods that bolts at rear shock - but did make it home with fender lightly rubbing tire - no damage.
    We have re-welded it, good to go'
    The Failure was due to that bolt coming loose & falling out - LOCK-TITE - BLUE #242

...................................................... tom n carol

• Thanks for responding! Well with this new info I may have to go that route. How you don't mind a copy cat?

carol & i are honored that you like our fender mounting
    But - we must give credit to my super good-friend
    Chris McNeil of CJM Chassis - he is the Fabricator that did all the work on this fender

.................................................................... tom n carol

• Anyone thought of mounting the fender from the top. I understand that there is a way to mount a hitch to the backend around the licence plate. As I haul my SS around on the trailer and use the tire tie downs the angled supports would get in the way. So the support on the front as all fenders but a vertical single support from the tail light area. Good idea or bad idea?

• With mounting the fender from above or on the body, there would have to be a considerable amount of clearance between the fender and the tire to allow up and down travel. Paramount plastic has a nice looking fender that mounts to bracing behind the back panel of the SS. If you want a more "hugger" look of the fender, it would have to be mounted to the swingarm.

• With mounting the fender from above or on the body, there would have to be a considerable amount of clearance between the fender and the tire to allow up and down travel. Paramount plastic has a nice looking fender that mounts to bracing behind the back panel of the SS. If you want a more "hugger" look of the fender, it would have to be mounted to the swingarm.

Here are some "Hugger"'s

HUGGING2.jpgHUGGING3.jpgHUGGING4.jpgHUGGING3.jpg

........................................ tom n carol

• So much love!! But could a long enough extension be put on fender so it sits lower. Just asking. I think it can be mounted at the front most lower part to the swing arm but if it could be mounted from the top with some kind of a artistic extension?

• Anyone thought of mounting the fender from the top. I understand that there is a way to mount a hitch to the backend around the licence plate. As I haul my SS around on the trailer and use the tire tie downs the angled supports would get in the way. So the support on the front as all fenders but a vertical single support from the tail light area. Good idea or bad idea?

We're working on a fender that mounts to our hitch receiver. Probably will go with plastic to match the rear underpanels. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• We're working on a fender that mounts to our hitch receiver. Probably will go with plastic to match the rear underpanels. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have seen some of the plastic fenders and they look cheap. Clean lines that expel water away from the rear tire. It should have a unique tail.

• It's up in my attic after I put Corbin bags on. I had to make an extension on the Corbin Bag fender for it to be useful.
    It did work quite well for the several months that I used it. Very strong with 4 attach points, you could probably sit on it. It worked wonderfully in the rain.