Factory Sway Bar Upgrade

• So I been thinking about starting this thread for some time. The goal will be to improve the stock sway bar set up with minimal out of pocket expenditure for anyone else wanting to get about 10% to maybe 15% stiffer rate from the stock bar and a relatively cheap bushing replacement. I will be posting the modifications as I go along.

(1) replacement of stock bushings with easy to source polyurethane replacements.
    (2) wider steel bushing bracket.
    Note: I will be modifying these brackets to increase rigidity and strength. An improvement over the stock brackets.
    (3) modify the stock sway bar with new mounting holes that will improve the stiffness of the bar.

The first two I will get started this weekend but the third will have to be on hold until extra OE sway bars are in my possession.

To start off here are pictures of the brackets and bushings I will be using. They are from a common bushing kit that can be found at most parts stores. I purchased these on the way home tonight from Advance Auto.
    I paid $23 but found them on line for as little as $15.
    Energy Suspension part number 9.5165R
    These are the red versions and I believe the black are part number 9.5165G. they are designed for the factory bar ID (1.25").
    They are also greasable. A big plus for poly bushings.

I will be welding trusses to the stamped brackets to help increase the rigidity but the Energy Suspension parts can be installed as is. The bushing and bracket are almost 1/2" wider than stock so the supplied bracket should be used.

More to come.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Ruptured Duck been running a similar setup since I did my air suspension almost a year ago. Since the air shocks have a wider diameter than coilovers I had to move the end links forward, and then trim it. To be honest it made very little difference.

Now the polyurethane mounts are great. The factory plastic crap is laughable.

What did make a big difference was the upgraded sway bar and Rist Rocket Racing strut bar. Wow!

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• @WraithSS nice info. A cross brace is another item I plan to build this winter, but that's for another posting.

I removed the factory bracket and as @WraithSS noted the very hard , assume plastic, bushing. To @Nemesis1701 question regarding stiffness improvement going to the poly bushing is going to be a little harder to calculate. We are now talking about a durometer rating of about 80-90 for the polyurethane bushing to a much harder plastic material with a higher rating.

Now Polaris either designed or sourced these bushings that have groves and a hole to allow it to be greased, but did not provide the Zerk fitting on the back of the mounting plate. another strange decision from them. The stiffer plastic will really limit sway bar movement but without a way to grease the plastic, in my opinion will fail quickly with spirited driving. An OE sized polyurethane bushing set is a good aftermarket part for someone to make.
    The factory mounting bracket is rather nice and solid and would have loved to reuse them but are a good bit narrower than the new Poly replacement as you can see in the images.

I have temporarily mounted the bracket and bushing to test the fitment. The Energy Suspension part fit perfectly but does move the sway bar back maybe 1/8" or so. This does not effect anything that I can tell at this time and feel comfortable recommending the part.

Now the next step for me will be to remove and weld trusses to the sides of the metal ES bracket and to also add a separate rear plate that moves it back out the 1/8" as well as providing more rear surface area for the bushing to rest.

The benefits of the new bushing is the width and the ability to grease. The added width should offset the durometer difference and prolong the life if the bushings.

I'll try to get the next steps done this week.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• For those that have a question about this mod, I just looked at my stock sway bar and there was starting to be a good bit of wear where the stock bushing is and also there was no grease. So the bracket mod and the grease fitting would be a good idea. Also RD the c to c should have been 1 1/4 inch, that is all you have room for without modifying the bar.