Pulling a steering wheel off

• About a month ago, I purchased a steering wheel puller. It has resulted in a problem I feel I need some advise on.

I attached the puller just like in @slingking s video's and tightened up the two side bolts nice & snug. I then threaded in the larger bolt and proceeded to tighten it down. Well, in no time I snapped off one of the two little bolts. That freaking steering wheel seems like it is welded on because no way was it coming off.

I have spritzed some good ol' WD40 for now, and need to back that bolt out yet. However, I am left trying to figure out just how to get this damn thing off now. Any ideas?

Seriously, this thing is on there but good. :cursing:

• @Painter and I use a hammer. One person pulls on the steering wheel and the other hits the nut with the hammer.

That will work at times. I've found the best way to pull one that's stuck really good (read as "How did they weld this thing?") is to use the puller, just as @MBMedic did. First tighten the side bolts until the thread tightens up and is starting to bottom out in the threaded holes in the steering wheel. Then, get good tension on the center bolt, and give a nice brisk tap on the end of the center bolt with a hammer. Metal hammer works best, as you are looking for the shock value to free up the tension you've put on the spline.

I just did mine, put this Assault D steering wheel (that I got from SlingMods) on last evening.

• what grade bolt did the puller have?
    Should have not snapped. Go get some graded hardware.
    @Goats_Hogs is correct. Apply tension and then give the center bolts some love with a hammer.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Here is the recommendation Painter gave me to help with ours:

1. Put the nut back on and screw it down only two or three turns. (We want a space between the nut and the steering wheel)

2. ((Get a Hammer) Put your knees under the wheel and grab the top of the wheel with your left hand. PULL the wheel hard toward you and hit the center nut several times pretty hard till the wheel pops loose. This has worked every time!
    3. Take the nut off and remove wheel

1. Put the nut back on and screw it down only two or three turns. (We want a space between the nut and the steering wheel)

2. ((Get a Hammer) Put your knees under the wheel and grab the top of the wheel with your left hand. PULL the wheel hard toward you and hit the center nut several times pretty hard till the wheel pops loose. This has worked every time!

When using this method, it is imperative to have the nut on.... otherwise you risk a black eye or bloody nose from the wheel hitting you in the face! Extra point... have someone video it if you don't put the nut on and upload said video to YouTube. You could go viral!

• Do you all see the size and design of this Frankenstein of a puller?!?

Ideally, no one has to ever use it because I'd like to put that sucker in a shadow box and hang it on my garage wall like the piece of art that it is!

This was how I was able to pull the wheel on my first SS.
    The new one would not budge. I made a simple puller tool that did the job. Sounds like some SS are really freaking bad.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• That is the puller I was trying to get someone to make, you see it will work without stripping the threads because you can use all of the bolts.

• what grade bolt did the puller have?
    Should have not snapped. Go get some graded hardware.
    @Goats_Hogs is correct. Apply tension and then give the center bolts some love with a hammer.

The bolts were just the ones that come from Slingmods on their puller. My next stop was to go to the John Deere dealer here and see if I could grab some graded bolts same size and shoot for a round 2.

May just apply a bit of love with the hammer on the center bolt this time. Though I am thinking I may set this all aside for the winter. Sling is put away in a tarp shed and it is ungodly cold out right now. -33 with windchill outside, or for you guys....-27

Don't think I want to hit anything metal till it warms up

I held off on buying the puller from Slingmods because I had hoped it would come off this way first. It laughed at me....