Slingshot Hood Latching Problem Discovered

• This is something we have all experience at one time or another. This video will show the problem. One corner does not latch down after closing. To show you what is going on with the Latch System, I take you under the hood and you see the action of the latching system during closing. You will see the problem for yourself. I show some tips to get better closings with good latching results.

Edited once, last by Samowens44 ().

• Can the bracket be trimmed?

No, trimming is not an option, the hood clip does not hit the top of the bracket. It hits the flat part. I just wanted folks to see the problem and come up with some ideas. I just have found the grease and high drop closes all the time.

• I showed my dealer my hood latch problem, seems my latches at rear by windshield would at times unlatch on there own while driving. Even stranger I noticed at times front latches would not engage, push down on hood and hear them latch but rear would pop loose and you could not get it to hold unless you opened hood up and started over. They were at a loss for words when I showed them. We finally shut hood hard and while one person held pressure at rear latch and I pushed down on hood at front one, everything stayed latched, I'm going to re do cable setup and just use release latch to operate 2 front ones and manually unlatch rear 2. I've had them pop open more than once at 80 mph on hiway and that really distracts you as rear of hood lifts up, glad I have my zip ties up front!

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• I am wondering if the cables are not adjusted properly. That would be my first check, also if the cable was kinked it may be binding and holding the latch from letting the catch detent to release to proper home position. Good luck, maybe put your camera under hood with light and see what is happening.

• Can the bracket be trimmed?

Rando, I have evaluated the problem more and found that the Red Clip is hitting the Flat Latch Bracket part and not the raise edge. I have another video to document the findings. Do not make any removal of the bracket at the raised area, that is not where it is hitting. All should watch my new video coming with the Failure and Solution. Sorry for misleading before final analysis. Don't do anything yet. With the new video, you will see that trimming is not an option. I repeat, do not trim anything at this point.

• This is something we have all experience at one time or another. This video will show the problem. One corner does not latch down after closing. To show you what is going on with the Latch System, I take you under the hood and you see the action of the latching system during closing. You will see the problem for yourself. I show some tips to get better closings with good latching results.

After reviewing the video and looking at the problem more closely, I have come up with this additional video to show the failure location and the solution. There is nothing you can really do other than adopt the closing method I discuss in the video. Lubing is another thing that will help closing success.

• Thanks for sharing video. On my hood it was also rubbing the front latch bolts and you could hear it squeak. This was on the drivers side. On the 2017 models Polaris has turned the latch bracket around and using different latch mounting bolts. With that said I had the dealership turn the brackets around to match the 2017 models. What this did is move the location of where the latch and the striker meet. This made a big difference on releasing the front and much easier to open. Basicly it stopped any binding.

• After reviewing the video and looking at the problem more closely, I have come up with this additional video to show the failure location and the solution. There is nothing you can really do other than adopt the closing method I discuss in the video. Lubing is another thing that will help closing success.

I watched your update video. Some time last year I rounded off the black area you were pointing to until it did not hit anymore. As for the red tab/clip I trimmed it back about 1/4 inch ( the flat area ) so that it no longer hits. I was using modeling clay to check these areas. I think there was one other area that was hitting also, I would have to go out and look to see where else I trimmed but those first two were the main problem. I think I even wrote it up but it would have been over on the dark side. Good informative video. Thanks

• @FunCycle Let us know how it performs now. I have not trimmed anything yet, just dropping from high level. Does the hood latch well at low level drops? Thanks for your comments and your mods to fix the problem.

• I did all of that over a year ago and put the heavy brackets on when they first came out. I still drop from about 12 inches and they latch every time. I rounded off the black area like I said until it did not hit the bracket anymore. Then I found the red clip was hitting and trimmed until it was also clear. Oh, I remember what else I did check now. That was the screw that was hitting some of the valve covers, mine was not hitting but I counter sunk the hole and installed a flat head screw anyway where I would not have that problem. See you again at SSITS17. As far as the hood every once in a while the pass. side back does not unlatch all of the way. Not enough for me to even try to adjust the cable.

• Photo? Confused on which brackets to reverse?

These brackets are the located in the front on the left and right side. Will take a picture of bracket and post later. Also look at where the windshield slides into the holding slots. There is a hole there. Polaris has round rubber bumpers there also. They also made a big difference when you close the hood. It is now a solid point for the hood and the rear brackets do not move when closing. Close tight now. Will post pictures later today.

• @Roadhouse Looking at the latch, it looks like they switched the passenger side front latchassembly with the Drivers side assembly. The striker is quite long and would be able to work with that nicely. Just wanted to clarify that they did not just reverse the latches on each side, but reversed the whole latch assemblies. Thanks for your input into this problem of the hood latching system failure. All of our input is valuable info.This will also help with access to the cables in case the hood release fails to release the latches.

• About 6 months after I got my SS, I grew tired of latching issues and with discussions at that time around spring of 2015, I made the following mod and have not have issues since. Just took the dremel and removed and shaped a small amount off that corner where it was hitting near the clip.