• Just picked up the Twist Dynamics Sway bar...and I am really shocked just how much better it is vs stock. I think about 11 people at SSITR did the upgrade and all of them are raving over them.

okay - so let me take this a bit further.

It seems there are 2 choices with 3 settings

for reference we have the stock sway bar with a torsional stiffness of 350 lbs/in

next we have the DDM sway bar with settings for 462 lbs/in and the inner holes at 571 lbs/in

and then we have the solid twist dynamics which they say is 650 lbs/in

If higher lbs/in were always better the twist at 650 lbs/in would be the clear choice, but from what I have read there is the possibility of actually hurting cornering ability if you go to far. higher torsional stiffness in a front sway bar can increase understeer and actually make a car slower through the corners. I have been trying to read about this so I can choose wisely but I am not sure that everything I read about this will apply to a three wheeled rear wheel drive slingshot the same way it applies to a normal rear wheel drive car. In a perfect world one could go out with all of the options and test the various settings/options and "tune" the suspension to fit their driving situation, but I am not in a position to buy both sway bars and do this kind of testing/tuning

What I would love would be if the experts here who have actually experimented with the different settings and different sway bars could chime in here and help me understand exactly how these things impact the slingshot - @Dave@DDMWorks and anyone else - can you help me to understand this better so that I know better which way to go?

My logic tells me that going with the extremes will usually have the biggest compromises and trade offs - the extremes in this case being leaving it stock or going with the twist - this makes me think that the DDM bar being in the middle would be the safest bet, but this is not fact, it is just my very slightly educated guess

So please educate me if you can - - My first big mod was getting the JRI Grand Touring coil overs and at this point I am 90% sure my next mod will be to finish my suspension improvements with a sway bar - - please let me learn from you so that when I do make this move I make it wisely

Thank you

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• By all means I am not an expert. I have done Sway bar upgrades on about half the vehicles I have tracked and driven as a daily. I will definitely never say that going to the farthest end of the spectrum is the best. I have no experience with the DDM, only the Twist. From personal experience, it's just a noticeable difference. I am assuming if you push too hard, with the Twist, it could be detrimental...Not sure what the limit would be. I do know that the stock really didn't feel that good to me ever and making the switch made me feel more comfortable with cornering the Sling. Add to it...I picked up the double adjustable QA1's from Twist this past week and that combination is stellar.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• The Slingshot is a very unique vehicle when it comes to handling since all of the roll is controlled by the front, since the single rear wheel can not control any roll. That being said, since the front is controlling all of the roll, the inclination is to keep stiffening up the front suspension to keep the Slingshot as level as possible in the turns, keeping the biggest contact patch of the tire on the road, increasing grip. On a perfectly smooth track, that will work well, however on the different road conditions most of us drive on, it is not optimal. As the front sway bar rate is increased, the less the front suspension acts independently, and therefore when traveling over irregularities, the less contact the tires will have with the road. This is all going to be dependent on several different factors, tire choice, alignment settings, vehicle weight and shocks installed just to name a few.

To us the optimal setup for most street driven setups, with typical tires installed on them, is going to be a good set of shocks like our 3 way;s and a moderate sway bar. From what we have tested, that setup will help control the roll of the vehicle and still allow the most independent movement of the front suspension while optimizing grip in most conditions.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if there is anything else I can answer,
    Dave

• The Slingshot is a very unique vehicle when it comes to handling since all of the roll is controlled by the front, since the single rear wheel can not control any roll. That being said, since the front is controlling all of the roll, the inclination is to keep stiffening up the front suspension to keep the Slingshot as level as possible in the turns, keeping the biggest contact patch of the tire on the road, increasing grip. On a perfectly smooth track, that will work well, however on the different road conditions most of us drive on, it is not optimal. As the front sway bar rate is increased, the less the front suspension acts independently, and therefore when traveling over irregularities, the less contact the tires will have with the road. This is all going to be dependent on several different factors, tire choice, alignment settings, vehicle weight and shocks installed just to name a few.
    To us the optimal setup for most street driven setups, with typical tires installed on them, is going to be a good set of shocks like our 3 way;s and a moderate sway bar. From what we have tested, that setup will help control the roll of the vehicle and still allow the most independent movement of the front suspension while optimizing grip in most conditions.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if there is anything else I can answer,
    Dav

Thank you Dave for taking the time to reply I do appreciate it

• Thank you Dave for taking the time to reply I do appreciate it

No problem, also all of our sway bars have integrated lateral locks now. I know it is not up on the website yet, but the lateral locks keep the sway bar from moving side to side while driving hard. We were seeing them move a good amount on some of the setups, so we incorporated it on our newer batch of sway bars.

• No problem, also all of our sway bars have integrated lateral locks now. I know it is not up on the website yet, but the lateral locks keep the sway bar from moving side to side while driving hard. We were seeing them move a good amount on some of the setups, so we incorporated it on our newer batch of sway bars.

Thats very nice - I love the built in lateral locks - that and the fact that there are 2 settings for torsional stiffness make this seem like a better choice than the twist for how I drive. Heck I am still non 100% convinced that the stock bar is not stiff enough for my usage - Now that I have the JRI's installed I need to go out and go back over some of the twisty roads I have driven in the past to see exactly where things stand.

• You can also always look at doing the @Ruptured Duck method of modifying the stock bar to pick up a little more stiffness also, just another option also.

I thought about this, but without a spare I am not sure I am comfortable doing this. my sling is my daily driver so down time waiting for a replacement should I some how F it up would be a bad thing :D

• No problem, also all of our sway bars have integrated lateral locks now. I know it is not up on the website yet, but the lateral locks keep the sway bar from moving side to side while driving hard. We were seeing them move a good amount on some of the setups, so we incorporated it on our newer batch of sway bars.

That cinched it for me....Your bar is the one Im buying!!

Thank you @Dave@DDMWorks

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• That cinched it for me....Your bar is the one Im buying!!
    Thank you @Dave@DDMWorks

SSREAPER

I'm down for this sway bar also. Just waiting on funds to show up (soon)! I did the JRI GT shocks a while ago and @mniron recommended the sway bar upgrade at that time. I do like to get some miles in before upgrading a major component so I can fully appreciate the improvement.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Thanks @Dave@DDMWorks and I have to agree with him in regards to overall stiffness. If you do choose to upgrade the OE bar I suggest getting a good bushing set and bracket. The hard plastic should be replaced regardless of what bar you choose.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Thanks @Dave@DDMWorks and I have to agree with him in regards to overall stiffness. If you do choose to upgrade the OE bar I suggest getting a good bushing set and bracket. The hard plastic should be replaced regardless of what bar you choose.

Thanks @Dave@DDMWorks and I have to agree with him in regards to overall stiffness. If you do choose to upgrade the OE bar I suggest getting a good bushing set and bracket. The hard plastic should be replaced regardless of what bar you choose.

Thank you very much for your input it is appreciated. At this point I must admit I am still unsure - If I do go with a sway bar I do know it would be the DDM, but I am still not sure how much it would benefit me. there is a very good chance my slingshot will never see the nice driving conditions of a track, but I can guarantee it will see windy mountain roads where the curves are full of ruts, bumps and potholes - Now that I have the JRI's installed I need to go drive some of these roads again to see if I feel body roll is an issue and to also see if the bumps and such might be an issue if things were more locked together with a stiffer bar

Thank you very much for your input it is appreciated. At this point I must admit I am still unsure - If I do go with a sway bar I do know it would be the DDM, but I am still not sure how much it would benefit me. there is a very good chance my slingshot will never see the nice driving conditions of a track, but I can guarantee it will see windy mountain roads where the curves are full of ruts, bumps and potholes - Now that I have the JRI's installed I need to go drive some of these roads again to see if I feel body roll is an issue and to also see if the bumps and such might be an issue if things were more locked together with a stiffer bar

Back in 2015 at the SSITS I was told that I was picking the inside tire up off of the pavement by a couple of people that followed me with the stock sway bar and the stock shocks. I now have the JRI's double adj. the DDM sway bar and the RRR frame stiffner

• I went with the DDM Works Tripple adjustables...I am ordering the DDM sway bar...unfortunately RRR is no longer in business otherwise I would get that as well.
    SSREAPER

please post back here with your thoughts after you have had a chance to drive with the sway bar - - - :D