Cold Air Intakes

• Looking to get a new cold air intake for my SS. What are your opinions on the best thats out there. And if I do a Cold Air intake, does my engine need any kind of tune-up for this Mod? Thanks in advance....

• I have the Vi intake. Pretty sure he's out of business bu love th intake. And with only an intake tune is not necessary.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• I have the Alpha CAI. I chose it for 2 reasons. First, they have multiple colors available and if you are looking to accent your engine compartment, that is a big help. There is no added charge for the extra colors. The second reason is that I like the aluminum piece that is placed in between the manifold and the throttle body. It makes a nice clean, unrestricted transition into the engine. I don't know if it is overkill or not, but it looks cool.

As far as a tune, do you need one, no. Do you want one, hell yes. The change in drive-ability is huge. The throttle response is much improved. If you plan on an exhaust, I would get that as well before you get the tune so you will only have to do it once. In my opinion, it was some of the best money I spent on my sling. It is so much more fun to drive, especially if you are a "spirited" driver. I sent my to Bob on a Saturday, and had it back by Wednesday, so you won't be down long. You won't be disappointed.

• I bought a Hahn CAI during last year's Slingshotonly Black friday Sale. Engine seems to run like it did before up until about 3500 rpm, at which point the CAI's kick can definitely be felt as there is a distinct difference once you hit 3500 rpm!
    I picked the Hahn over the Alpha because I liked that the Hahn sealed against the bottom of the hood and I didn't want to hassle with re-positioning the TBI. I had originally planned on going the DIY CAI route using the Cobra-headed adapter to provide a smooth-flowing transition fromt he CAI tubing to the TBI, but the Hahn CAI's sealing against the hood mad me decide in favor of the Hahn.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I installed the injen Cai. It looks good and serves the purpose but it is not as pretty as the alpha. I never open my hood to show anybody anything except when to change the oil. So if you're into looks get the alpha if you're into performance and price matters ingen is the same. Buy from the injen site. Slingmods is $100 more.

• alpha for the win.

Aren't those Eastwood lights awesome?! Love mine...

For those "in the dark" on what I'm talking about, I'm referring to the LED light bar Chad is using across his hood in his pics. Here's my thread on The Dark Side about these awesome lights (even back then, was trying to bring Slingers to The Light... :thumbsup::thumbup: ). BTW, I have no affiliation with this company, just really like the product:

Eastwood LED Light Bar for Maintenance | Polaris Slingshot Forum

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

Edited once, last by Tripod ().

• The only time a tune, or an ECU modification is required, is when the engine uses a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor to control the air/fuel mixture. These engines don't use MAFs, thankfully.

• While it is true that any mod(s) short of a turbo/supercharger doesn't REQUIRE an ECU reflash, I don't recall anyone who has gotten an ECU reflash after adding a CAI and/or a muffler/exhaust system who has stated they wished they had NOT gotten the ECU reflash. Typical reports are smoother engine performance and more output than obtained just from the CAI/Exhaust/Muffler changes.
    The ECu reflash is included in turbo/supercharger systems and for a normally aspirated engine costs an extra $500 ($400) if the Group Buy on the other site is still in effect. The thread hasn't been updated for several months. See - ACTIVE Group Buy - ECM Tune from Mefi Bob for NA Slingshots | Polaris Slingshot Forum as there are comments from folks who have gotten the reflash w/o going turbo/super.

Edited once, last by BKL ().