Making your current rear Spoiler/Wing motorized adjustable - using linear actuators

• I can't believe I read this thread..... Damn you @lrobbi! I have this pneumatic project in my head. I didn't even like rear wings until I saw your wing move.... Now I have to have a rear wing!!!!

I am digging through my air cylinders now. I am positive I have some cylinders left from when I made air shifters for bikes...

• Couldn't say it better! @lrobbi, I'm surprised I only just found this recently. Everything is on point, your mod, instructions and photo/video documentation.
    How is it working these days since the installation?

Would you mind if I share this around our social channels? We love showing off what others have done - especially work of such high quality :thumbup:

Thanks... absolutely - your welcome to share this ...just as seen in the video it works well. Still one of my favorite mods!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Thanks @rabtech I am looking forward to having this function done automatically under braking and speed control... unfortunately my skills are not up to that level - that said ... @Dave@DDMWorks might have something for me when his work load slows down. Dave is swamped so I am patiently waiting - this mod is one of my favorites. I have tried a few things but just have not figured the complications of activating the wing when braking and then adjusting itself when back to a specific speed.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• @rabtech I been wanting this for some time. Have been trying to come up with a look I like. This includes a rear wing (maybe) and side diverters on the rear corners. Want it to be a duration or force activated dynamic aero system tied to the brakes ..... So yes an air brake system if you will. Think it would be rather cool.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• DAYUM ~> That is SWEET... Well done @lrobbi!!

Now you got me thinking about that automation piece... Maybe take the sensors out of the Garmin VIRB which handle speed/pitch/roll, whip up a mobile app to relay that to a control board, design new mounts to handle the up/down motion in addition to the forward/back of the wing, install vertical actuators to give you roll ~> all to maximize down force while turning!

^ ^ at least it sounded good in my head... :S

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Now what you are looking at is the shifters that I used to make. Basically you wouldn't have the solenoids mounted next to the cylinder. You would just have the cylinder mounted on the wing with 2 air lines running to it. And the air tank is a heavily modified oxygen cylinder. Because you don't need a ton of air on tap like you would with a horn or some other device. Very little is used each time it moves the piston. I have a small compressor and regulator that is so small it fits neatly under the hump of a Hayabusa. I just can't find it yet.

Anybody got an extra black adjustable wing that they want to send me????? :):) :p

• Guys and gals I just need an adjustable wing.......

I have everything else.

1. 12 volt air compressor.
    2. Pressure regulator switch to turn on and off compressor.
    3. Dual acting air solenoid
    4. Air storage tank for up to 120psi
    5. Adjustable pressure regulator
    6. Air line and lots of SMC fittings
    7. Double acting air cylinder
    8. Air guage to monitor pressuring the system.
    9. Clevis for the cylinder to hook to wing.
    10. Power wire and ground wire
    11. Fuses and switch to arm it
    12. Tap to the brake light circuit to trip the relays to activate the solenoids.
    13. Schrader valve to air up the cylinder in case the compressor dies. It would hold the wing in the down position.

This is my first stab at what it would take but I bet I'm real close on all the needed parts.

• I can remember when I built my first air tank out of 6" schedule 80 pipe and ends. I cleaned the ends good and then glued them and patiently waited on it to dry good.. Then I drilled the center of one end and threaded the plastic and put the fitting in with more glue.

I knew it could possibly explode so I put it on the counter in my shop and hooked it to a long hose. I started airing it up and when it got to about 60psi it exploded. Believe it or not the cap on the side that I didn't drill came off. Just like the pvc glue never had been applied... I looked around for the cap and I couldn't find it. So I finally gave up the hunt and went to making the tank with a metal oxygen cylinder (much safer)....

About a week later I kept hearing a bird that was really loud. I had the doors to the shop closed and that is what made the bird noise unusual. I walked over to the window and there was a perfect 6" hole punched thru the glass.. Apparently it was just plate glass. I could see the cap about 100 yards away from the shop.. That cap had some serious force to pop a perfect hole thru the window and not even leave a crack in it anywhere else....

I always use steel tanks after that... :)