Heated Riding Gear

• Or you could wear some long johns, a layer or two and a jacket...take something off as you warm up. Totally pre 21st century but it works. No 'lectricity required. Won't ever fail either. Just sayin...

I have the heated vest and it works great but I am looking for something for the legs now. I have the long johns and the latest thermal pants but I am wore slap out with that after a day of riding and not being able to bend my legs. So I am looking for something else that is warm and easy to wear. (Comfortable to wear)

• I bought some flannel lined jeans. I also bought heated pants with a removable liner and a heated jacket liner.

Don’t forget I’m a sissy on 3 wheels no reason to freeze. I’ll post some pictures of my “electrical snake” for my heated riding gear I ran up to my neutrino.

• I have flannel lined pants from Duluth Trading Co. Those with a jacket, gloves, scarf, thin balaclava and full-face helmet have been sufficient down to 40 degrees. I have considered a set of Carhartt Yukon overalls, but I've been warm enough going out for up to an hour at highway speeds without the need for heated clothes so far.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I had to take a quick ride to upstate NY [160 Miles round trip] The temps were 38/40 [6:30 Am] degree's and raining when i started out, I wore my lined jeans and Under Armour ''T'' shirt with a pull over and my Milwaukee heated jacket....Coming back the temps hit 50 so i didn't have to turn the jacket on..I do have the Slingshade.....And that helps to keep me dry....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• I have flannel lined pants from Duluth Trading Co. Those with a jacket, gloves, scarf, thin balaclava and full-face helmet have been sufficient down to 40 degrees. I have considered a set of Carhartt Yukon overalls, but I've been warm enough going out for up to an hour at highway speeds without the need for heated clothes so far.

I have used the lined L.L. Bean Jeans for the past 35 years and have all of the Under Armour stuff. I am wanting something that will be comfortable for all day riding down to about 45 degrees and still be able to move around.

• Part of why I grabbed my wife's 335i hardtop convertible for a recent 1,300 mile round trip to Portland. (Quiet, safety, security, comfort and a kick-*ss stereo didn't hurt.) Temps along I-5 were ranging from high 40s at night to a high of 99 in the valley. I would have added probably 3-4 hours just ducking into rest stops to add or delete layers.

• I am just starting to consider heated riding gear and haven’t looked at this too closely.

I have the jumper ports behind the driver’s seat.

Could I use the positive jumper port to power the heated gear?

Most of the companies have 'cig lighter' units that will power the heated gear. I just picked up these for the Venture Heat --- about $30.00

• here are the advertised amp draws for some pieces of heated riding gear...
    Each piece comes with an in-line fuse holder...on the hot wire.

I wanted to have as much control over my gear as possible so I have each piece individually wired to do so. Now I can give them as much or as little voltage while riding.....I just hooked everything up in the driveway and haven’t had a chance to actually test them yet.

Last year I did temporarily use my between the seats cigarette lighter to power all 4 pieces. They have the ability to plug into each other. The gloves will plug in and power off the jacket wiring and the soles will plug in and power off the pants...

Using this controller. You can plug the jacket/gloves into one side and the pants/soles into the other to let you control them separetly. Just turn the knobs up or down. Now I can use my cell phone to control all 4 individually...

This shows how they connect to each other....

Adding all 4 of these up they come to 15 amps....the cigarette lighters are good for 20-25 amps.

I bought heated soles over buying the heated socks because I didn’t want to have to keep washing them if they got funky...LOL

• no I meant extra layers are bulky. I love the warm and safe gear. Wired directly to battery and the wireless controllers are great. No need for layers Just a tshirt jacket warmer, which is thin, pant liner amd sock warmers. Oh and of course glove warmers. All connect with one plug from battery.

• The Polartec 200 Bib Overalls (non heated) came in today, I am pretty sure they are just what wanted. Light weight and comfortable to wear, I will just have to wait and see how warm they will be with the lined jeans on under them. I was just worn slap out after a day of riding with the Under Armour and the lined jeans. These overalls have the full length side zipper and the front zipper.

• I’m sittings my in my SS with all my gear on. Nice and toasty.

I used a trailer lighting kit to make my snake under the hood to the neutrino. This socket is mounted right beside the driver seat. I bought it separately from the male plug.

The snake tucks in nicely along the frame and comes out under the hood latch before crossing over to my new electrical tray where I have the neutrino mounted.

This is the pigtail I made by cutting it off the trailer wire. It came pre wired with 8 feet of wire. I had to add wires to the leftover wire to hook to the socket and reach the neutrino.

You can see it plugged in and I brought the other end up beside me.

The pants are vented and I put the loose end of the plugs under the snap flap to hold it up so I can plug my ends into it and to keep it there do it doesn’t come unplugged.

This is a picture of the electrical page of the neutrino with all the gear on high. You can see the total amps being drawn. Just over 15 amps. I cut all of them to half and the amps only dropped by about 1 amp. So it doesn’t save much amperage when running at half.

This picture is of the neutrino mounted up and down. It still functions but the screens are sideways. You could keep your phone up and down if you don’t mind working it that way.

The riding gear without the electric wasn’t too bad. Once I covered my nose and neck with my leather neck thing it was ok. Kept my face warm without a face shield. I do wear googles.