Riding Topless

• This happened on September 10th, 2016. A benefit ride to raise funds for local wounded veterans organized by Sons of Liberty Riders for motorcycles from all over.
    This was the fifth annual event and to be our fourth time riding with this group. In the three previous, we rode the Goldwing trike twice and the Slingshot once. We were looking forward to riding again but I still cannot sit the Goldwing for any extended time, so.... Slingshot is the pick again.

Understand that I consider the Slingshot a sport trike and not a true bike and it may not be accepted in any or all bike events. I approach the organizers and feel out the riders for any heartburn. I have no problem riding tail on the herd if accepted, or dropping a donation for the cause and cutting a ride to my own tune.

Two things you need to know. We seldom wear helmets unless we are leaving the state and we have a Bimini Canvas Top on the Slingshot. Getting ready to ride, @Guardian_Angel suggest we ride topless. We occasionally take the canvas off but have not removed the frame since week four of ownership. Okay, topless it is. Canvas and frame completely removed.

Day of event, we head into town topless, pass the event gathering and head up to Sonic for two Route44 Limeade Slushes to carry on the ride. Got the drinks and now heading back to donate and/or register to ride. Catch a stop light and from my left I hear, "Excuse me, but does that vehicle require you to wear helmets?" I look to my left and an Alabama State Trooper is doing the talking. He then says, "I'm asking because it's tagged as a motorcycle." Well, thanks to @rabtech, I told him, "No sir, not as the law is currently written." Light changes and I proceed on my way.

A half block later, @Guardian_Angel says, "He just blue lighted you!" I check the mirror, yep, he's on me. Pull into a parking lot and we compare notes. I pull out my print outs from those supplied by @rabtech from this site and the darkside. He digs up what he has. He states that he will not be writing a citation but thinks safety is a concern. After comparing notes, he contacts his Sergeant to determine what latest hash is. His Sergeant stated what we had already concluded. Things concerning helmets with the Slingshot are still muddy. The Trooper thanks us for talking with him and tells us to stay current with the helmet law and hopes we have a good ride.

Bottom line.... Riding topless can create problems unless you are prepared.

Somewhere there is a LEO who is only doing their job, don't argue with them. If they don't hear what you are saying, they won't read it in print. Don't provoke them by trying provide them with documents they have not allowed you to produce.

@Guardian_Angel snapped this shot while the Officer and I disgusted the helmet situation...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I hope SOMEDAY the laws across the US regarding Slingshots obtain some degree of uniformity. While in Kentucky visiting @Slunglow I was at a convenience store an officer stopped and asked me what it was, what it was classified as. Officers elsewhere are doing their own interpretation of the law and it should not be that way. There should be no question on the clarity of a law for LEO or the citizen.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Went out riding today for about two hours. Was riding without my @Guardian_Angel, her having to work. Was enroute to house when I spotted Sheriff's Deputy closing on me rapidly from behind and shortly after.... Blue Light Special!

Start round two... I pull off the road, shutdown, and place both hands top of the steering wheel. Looking over my left shoulder and as he approaches... Afternoon Officer.
    His reply, "Where's your helmet?"
    I said, "Behind my seat." And from there,
    "What's it doing back there?"
    "Well sir, that's where all the mud begins..."
    He says, "Excuse me?"
    So I explain... Alabama law states that motorcycle operators and passengers must wear helmets at all times with the exception of an enclosed motorcycle. Recent law as of September 7, 2015... defines a motorcycle as a vehicle that persons sit straddle of in-line and an auto cycle as a vehicle with side by side seating, steering wheel, enclosed, and requirement for seat belt usage. And although this vehicle is built to motorcycle regulations and tagged as such for DOT requirements, it meets the auto cycle description and exclusion of helmet, not the motorcycle description for mandatory helmet. And then he kindly let me show him state law that I had in the glove box. (Thank you @rabtech)
    He then asked me if I felt safe operating without a helmet... told him as safe as anyone else meeting other drivers.
    He then said he had been trying to stop me and the wife for a while but always got caught by higher priorities. So, in the end he agreed that it was still clear as mud. He also said that one of the younger fellas will write the ticket. Told him it would then be up to the Judge to waste his time.
    Shook hands and both went about our business

Was unable to snap a pic cause he was right there...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Every single policeman or state trooper has been super kind, and actually listened objectively to what was being said. :thumbsup:
    Have yet to meet a "Richard". :cursing:

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Have a feeling they know the law and its vague statutes..

They just seen one sexy beast and wanted to see it up close and personal... and check out the slingshot too while theys at it.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• ^^^^^^

Thats no imaginary name... thats Steves boss!
    Dont call him by his well known nickname though! Least not to his face!

• We came thru there Saturday stopped at Logan's to get hydrated, thought about you guys, we passed 1 trooper and a couple city officers here in town with no issue so far, but I know it's coming eventually....