Louisiana Helmet Law Discussion

• So today the wife and I rode in the Run with the Nuns charity ride in Lake Charles. I have tried to ride in as many as possible because the monies raised goes to the local hospital. This is the first ride with the Sling. There are about 4 to 500 riders and that takes a lot of police resources to block the intersections on the planned routes. Anyway we had ridden over to Lake Arthur, a little town east of Lake Charles and we all took a break at a local store/gas station. I was talking with a couple of my motorcycle buddies and I looked over and a motorcycle cop was talking with my wife. After they talked she came over and said that he informed her that we were required to wear a helmet. She assured him that we didn't and he told her yes you are because I just wrote a guy a ticket "the other day" for it in his town of Westlake.
    So I tracked him down and told him I thought he was mistaken about the law since it has just been amended. He wouldn't hear of it. So I said I had SB 50 downloaded on my phone and could show him. He told me in his arrogant voice he didn't believe anything on the internet. He said he would go back to the office and look it up.
    We finished the ride without helmets but I don't think I want to drive through his little town on my Sling for awhile.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• So today the wife and I rode in the Run with the Nuns charity ride in Lake Charles. I have tried to ride in as many as possible because the monies raised goes to the local hospital. This is the first ride with the Sling. There are about 4 to 500 riders and that takes a lot of police resources to block the intersections on the planned routes. Anyway we had ridden over to Lake Arthur, a little town east of Lake Charles and we all took a break at a local store/gas station. I was talking with a couple of my motorcycle buddies and I looked over and a motorcycle cop was talking with my wife. After they talked she came over and said that he informed her that we were required to wear a helmet. She assured him that we didn't and he told her yes you are because I just wrote a guy a ticket "the other day" for it in his town of Westlake.
    So I tracked him down and told him I thought he was mistaken about the law since it has just been amended. He wouldn't hear of it. So I said I had SB 50 downloaded on my phone and could show him. He told me in his arrogant voice he didn't believe anything on the internet. He said he would go back to the office and look it up.
    We finished the ride without helmets but I don't think I want to drive through his little town on my Sling for awhile.

You should pass back and forth thru there every hour on the hour. ... I absolutely live for those moments.

I am the kinda person that when I have something to prove I will make sure I get my point across. Even print a few copies and run them to city hall and tell them you want to see the chief and highlight the parts he needs to see. I HAVE DONE THIS IN NEARLY EVERY CITY I RIDE IN AROUND MY HOUSE. It works. I get a friendly wave now from all of them....

And just for shits and giggles. Make sure you ask for it to be posted in an area that the officers have to read.

• I'm a new owner of a 2015 sling shot . I live in DeQuincy , LA but I work in Lake Charles . I just got stopped by the state police in Lake Charles and he saying I need to wear a helmet. He allegedly called his boss and said that i was wrong and indeed needed a helmet. The gentleman I bought my slingshot from told me I do not need a helmet.

• I'm a new owner of a 2015 sling shot . I live in DeQuincy , LA but I work in Lake Charles . I just got stopped by the state police in Lake Charles and he saying I need to wear a helmet. He allegedly called his boss and said that i was wrong and indeed needed a helmet. The gentleman I bought my slingshot from told me I do not need a helmet.

I ride in North Louisina with no issues. @Bill Martin might have something better, but check this out:

ViewDocument.aspx?d=977304

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

@wesconjr the bill was passed June 2, 2015 and was made into law August 1 2015. Here is the address: ViewDocument.aspx?d=989206
    Where do you work in Lake Chuck? What color sling did you buy? Need to hook up sometime.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• I ride in North Louisina with no issues. @Bill Martin might have something better, but check this out:
    [*]ViewDocument.aspx?d=977304

[/list]

I can’t believe there are some still stopping folks for helmets in a Slingshot. From your post Section D clearly defines a SS as an autocycle....here is the helmet law
    http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/law.aspx?d=88170 - Section D here clearly states the helmet law does not apply to autocycles. Sorry but LEO IS WRONG on this one. I have copies of this law in my glove box but haven’t been stopped in a long time. I suggest you print out both of these 2 statutes and do the same... good luck !!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it