I have a whining noise in the right angle drive​ (rear end).

• Hi @rnj12 there is a fitting but a normal grease gun cannot reach it.
    On the dark side there was a video of how to do this from a couple of years ago. You can by a 6" needle fitting to go on your grease gun that you can put against the zerk fitting and pump grease into it. I bought the needle fitting but it seems like a 3 handed job.

I only want to know how to get the whining sound out of the passengers seat :whistling::whistling:

• Dumb question time. How do you add grease to the u-joint if there is no zerk fitting?

You don't unless you take it apart.

Hi @rnj12 there is a fitting but a normal grease gun cannot reach it.
    On the dark side there was a video of how to do this from a couple of years ago. You can by a 6" needle fitting to go on your grease gun that you can put against the zerk fitting and pump grease into it. I bought the needle fitting but it seems like a 3 handed job.

Not a dumb question and technically, @FunCycle is correct. No fitting, no grease. However, as @Stairgod noted, there is indeed a zerk on the U-joint and here's how to find it and grease it...

1. Get a needle adapter. This can be a bit tricky as not all needle adapters are the same. The first one I got was too small and would not seat into the zerk. The one in the picture seemed kind of big, but it works perfectly. This one is about 1/8 wide at the tip and 5+ inches long. My finger is pointing at the end that slips over the standard grease gun tip and connects to a zerk inside the sleeve with the knurled bands.

2. Remove the cup holders (which is easier said than done). They simply pop out (no mounting hardware), but not without some effort. As you can see in the picture, I use a plastic prying tool for automotive interior panels which I picked up at Harbor Freight. DO NOT USE ANY METAL OBJECT (i.e., screwdriver) or you will mangle the cup holder or the console (probably both) and then you will want to cry. As I said, it takes some effort and just when you think something is going to break, one of the tabs holding the cup holder will pop. Also, pull the front holder first. It's easier to get to and once out, you can reach under the rear cup holder and push from the bottom while prying from the top. It helps.

3. Find the zerk. Looking through the rear hole (where the cup holder used to be) you can see the U-joint very easily (might need a flash light) and it's easy to reach, unless you have massive Hulk hands. Even if you can't fit your hand through, you should be able to reach it with the grease needle. As you can see in the picture below, there is the elusive zerk that @Stairgod spoke of. Now you can see why you need the needle. If you don't see the fitting on yours, roll the SS (in neutral and very gently) and watch the joint turn as you go. If you're on level ground, you should be able to toss a leg out, while sitting in the driver's seat, and push the SS backward enough to rotate the shaft. I'm only 5'6" and can manage it. Anyway, the shaft will rotate and when you see the zerk, pull the handbrake and grab your grease gun. Although not required, jacking the rear up will help make the zerk easier to see/reach, but not enough for a standard grease gun tip. You will need the needle adapter, so don't bother trying until you get one.

4. Grease that sucker and grease it good. With a pistol-grip style gun, this is a two-handed job. The only reason it would be 3-handed, is if you have the lever style gun that takes two hands to operate because you will need at least one hand to hold the needle on the zerk. As I mentioned in my initial response, the factory doesn't completely fill the u-joint, but there is some grease in there. I think I put 3-4 pumps from my pistol-grip gun into it before any hint of squeeze-out. Anyway, keep going until you get squeeze-out coming from all around the joint. Wipe away the squeeze-out as you go, so you can tell where it is coming from. Also, clean up as much loose grease as you can when you're done. If you don't it will just get slung all over the bottom of your cup holders and everywhere else. Once you're done, pop the cup holders back in place and you're good to go. Shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes. Easy-peasy. :thumbsup:

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Thanks that was very helpful.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Thanks so damn much. I was trusting someone else when they said the 2016.5 doesn't have a zerk fitting but yes you are correct it most definitely does. I have just 2,000 miles on mine so at what intervals should this be done?

RNJ12