I have a whining noise in the right angle drive​ (rear end).

• You were close...I had a page of SS maintenance that I had copied when I changed mine in my SS file. Just posted what it said, "Fluid Change" no.#6, page 55. Said not to overfill but think from doing mine that it would be easier to underfill. Did use pump, but ever so slowly....

• the noise quiets down. How many miles do you have ? When mine was new 35k miles ago. It was very loud.

I would also check your belt tention. That also can create extra noise in there as well.

I’m just right at 1100 miles. Newbie

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

:SLRSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS: :00008862::00008698:

:00000436::00000436::00000436:

• Difference as in noise? I just did mine but I'm waiting on my windshields to show up so I can test it out. I got most of the bottle in my SS but I also ended up with some on the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Much quieter! You should end up with a little over 8 ozs left of your quart. 23.7oz (700ml) is capacity.

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• Difference as in noise? I just did mine but I'm waiting on my windshields to show up so I can test it out. I got most of the bottle in my SS but I also ended up with some on the ground.

I got my wheels and windshields in yesterday, you ordered yours a couple of days after I did so they should be there soon.

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

• I received my bottle of Royal Purple 85-140 oil yesterday and will be filling it up today. I'll let you know if it makes mine any quieter. I've loosened my belt up about 3/4 of an inch too.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

• I changed to Royal Purple 75w140 at first oil change on my previous SS and it it makes a noticable difference. So does greasing the U-joint. When I got my new SS, to replace my wrecked one, I changed to Royal Purple in both the right angle box and transmission, plus greased the U-joint, and it made an even greater difference.

If the whining from the angle drive is replaced by whining from the passenger seat, increase speed. The wind noise will drown it out.

Along that line of thought, I made an interesting discovery this past weekend. When I'm on the highway, buffeting from turbulence created by other vehicles bothers my ears, so I tried a set of ear plugs to buffer the wind against my ear drums. Worked great and actually made conversation easier, if that is desirable.

However, when I took the plugs out, an hour later, I was accosted by the amount of noise that flooded in, even at low speed. My ears had gotten so accustomed to the muting of the plugs that normal noise levels seemed amplified. It took about 10 minutes before my ears readjusted to normal sensitivity. Just something to be aware of if you decide to try ear plugs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Well, I filled the Right angle drive with 85/140 Royal Purple gear oil and took it out for a test drive. I'd say that it re leaved about 50% of the whining in the drive. I didn't have but a few minutes to drive it so ill let you know after i really get it hot if its still better.

Michael West
    Gainesville Ga.
    404-401-0841

• Well, I filled the Right angle drive with 85/140 Royal Purple gear oil and took it out for a test drive. I'd say that it re leaved about 50% of the whining in the drive. I didn't have but a few minutes to drive it so ill let you know after i really get it hot if its still better.

Half is better than none. Time and wear will further reduce noise, but it doesn't go away entirely. Gears make noise; always have, always will.

Don't forget to add grease to the u-joint. It helps dampen the whining and the factory doesn't fill it, so the first time it will take more grease than you would expect.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Half is better than none. Time and wear will further reduce noise, but it doesn't go away entirely. Gears make noise; always have, always will.

Don't forget to add grease to the u-joint. It helps dampen the whining and the factory doesn't fill it, so the first time it will take more grease than you would expect.

Dumb question time. How do you add grease to the u-joint if there is no zerk fitting?

• Dumb question time. How do you add grease to the u-joint if there is no zerk fitting?

Well, I filled the Right angle drive with 85/140 Royal Purple gear oil and took it out for a test drive. I'd say that it re leaved about 50% of the whining in the drive. I didn't have but a few minutes to drive it so ill let you know after i really get it hot if its still better.

Dumb question time. How do you add grease to the u-joint if there is no zerk fitting?

You don't unless you take it apart.