I have a whining noise in the right angle drive​ (rear end).

• on 2016 SL I have a whining noise in the right angle drive (rear end).
    When I let off the gas and coast down a hill or just coasting.
    Whining is very noisy with the clutch in or out.
    if you give it gas the noise go away.

• You know about all of them whining so loud your ears will itch don't u? I say that because your new here. So I am assuming your SS is new also. Give it 1000 miles and drain the final drive and fill it with 75-140 royal purple gear oil....

No matter what you do it will get quieter the harder you drive it. And if you change the fluid in 1000 miles it will get a bit quieter....

• Give it 1000 miles and drain the final drive and fill it with 75-140 royal purple gear oil....

I don't know how much dirt on the belt matters, but I do know that rabtech's suggestion is effective. Change the final drive (right-angle gear box) oil and it will make a noticeable difference. I don't know how much the brand matters, but many folks swear by Royal Purple (RP), so that's what I've used in the past. I've also used Lucas 85-140 which works well too.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• While we're on the topic of changing the gearbox oil, does anyone have suggestions for getting oil into the box? Whenever I try to put oil in, I have to wrestle with tubing (slippery and constant kinking) and oil trickling out of the fill hole (and down my arm) even though the box is not yet full.

I've considered using a fitting that screws into the fill hole, but I'm concerned that it won't allow air to escape which could put excess pressure on the seals and possibly blow one out. Thoughts?

UPDATE: Looks like I may have found an answer to my question. Digging around on the web, it looks like a garden sprayer will do the trick. Wish me luck. :D

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by Gadgeteer ().

• Thanks for the pump suggestion, but I already tried that. They work better than nothing, but they're still messy and cumbersome. I decided to try the garden sprayer and I have to say it works way better. Here's my setup:

I got the sprayer ($10) and brass compression elbow ($5-6) from Home Depot. I cut off the nozzle from the wand and a stub of the remaining tube for the elbow. You could probably bend the tube enough to get it in, but installing the elbow is definitely worth the effort The elbow included small ferrules that slide inside the tube for the compression connection. The tube is really hard and a bit too small, so I used a heatgun and an awl to stretch the end wide enough to get the ferrule started into it. Then I used a hammer to seat the ferrule all the way in, tapping lightly to make sure I didn't mushroom the end of the ferrule.

Once the compression nuts were tightened up, I dumped in a bottle of RP 75-140w and pumped up the pressure. After that, it was just a matter of point and shoot. Zero effort (using the trigger lock) and practically no mess. I thought the flow rate was going to be slower, but it filled the right angle drive in less than 5 minutes. For less than $20, you can't beat it.

― Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by Gadgeteer ().

• So... did this resolve the whining noise ?

Depends on what you mean by 'resolve.' Changing the gear oil to a quality brand, especially one formulated to quiet noisy gears, definitely reduces the whining to tolerable levels. Unfortunately, all gears make noise, some make more than others. With the close proximity and little or no sound dampening, you're going to have some noise. On my previous SS (early 2016), the gear oil made a huge difference because the whine was pretty bad, especially at highway speeds. On my current SS (late 2016), the whine was milder and the gear oil did not make as much a difference, but it was still noticeably quieter. Oil level also makes a difference. My current unit has a minor leak in the right-angle box (scheduled for service, next week) and I know the level is getting low when the whining gets louder. Top off the oil and the whine diminishes again. Not the safest way to gauge the oil level, but it works for me. :D

― Douglas Adams

• Had the clicking and whine about a year ago. Dealer retorqued the axle nut and it went away but then loosened again. They replaced the nut with double nuts. Sound went away, until last week.
    Now high pitched whine under load. Dealer checked fluid level and it was good. We ran wheel to about 40mph on stands and no noise. Drove again and noise is there any time the rear is under load. Polaris told him to take out the axle and check the bearings. He ordered both bearings and will pull the axle next Wed or Thur. Didn't want me to be without the SS while waiting for parts!
    Told me not to ride very far from home till then in case something goes really wrong. He knows I won't stop riding unless something breaks. I am glad to take the chance. However, I won't be riding The Pig Trail this weekend as planned :/

• Yeah, the bearing issues are still happening, but on the upside, it seems like most of the replacement bearings are fairing better that the originals.

Just to be clear, for other readers, the noise from the bearings is different than the gear noise. The gear noise in more pronounced when coasting or decelerating while the bearings noise seems to be more pronounced on acceleration. Also, the clicking mentioned by @dangerdarrell is one of the most common symptoms of bearing failure. So, in general, if you have whine with clicking, probably bearings; if you have whine and no clicking, probably gears and/or dirty belt.

One other tip worth mentioning, with regard to dirty drive belts; do not use belt dressing. I've never used it, even on my Harley, so I don't really know what it does, but Polaris specifically states not to use it. If they went to the trouble to put it in writing, it's probably for good reason and better to follow their recommendation. Just my 2 cent's worth.

― Douglas Adams

• Goodness! Such talk!

I had my angle drive replaced two months ago, they told me my bearings were fine. Nope. At first, it was expected to have that new sling howl in the rear. It didn't settle down. It actually got worse. Under load, it was fine. Coast or decel, it was chaos. Not just clicking.

Dealer replaced the axle, both bearings, spacer and double nuts. Way, way better sounding, though only been a few hours. I was told it was #1 common problem.

And the words of Gadget Dude are smart. No belt dressing. Dressing will just pick up grit and grime and sand and other abrasives. My Harley days are a bit ago, but last I heard, the belt should last the life of the rig if you leave it alone. Harley has been doing belt final drive at least 32 years - they should know what they are talking about.

• It is strange how some have the rear bearing to go out and others seem to last and last. I get the popping and clicking when I back out off the garage. However, it has been doing this for a long long time. Im going to say it has been popping and clicking since before Maggie Valley for sure.

I guess I am waiting on fire to fly out of my axle. With over 500hp something will soon give way I'm sure. Im in Panama City now and nearly every time I take off at a red light I cant help myself. I have to lay into the gas....Nothing like having the rear tire beg me to stop spinning..... :D

• It is strange how some have the rear bearing to go out and others seem to last and last. I get the popping and clicking when I back out off the garage. However, it has been doing this for a long long time. Im going to say it has been popping and clicking since before Maggie Valley for sure.

I guess I am waiting on fire to fly out of my axle. With over 500hp something will soon give way I'm sure. Im in Panama City now and nearly every time I take off at a red light I cant help myself. I have to lay into the gas....Nothing like having the rear tire beg me to stop spinning..... :D

Please let me know what brand of tire you're running so I can buy stock in that company! :thumbup:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014