• I know this has been mentioned before in other threads but cannot find a separate thread on it. Has anyone considered coming up with a med to large hood scoop? One that would only be an inch or two above the hood as it is. I know of the bullet speed vented hood insert but it fits flat. I believe there is a market for a nice hood scoop that would allow only limited water in and yet allow heat out when stopped and cool air in while moving.

• started to make one when my Slingshot was at the dealer this past June. Made a steel prototype based off an extra plastic vent I had. I screwed up and didn't have enough arch in the steel scoop. It would sit about 1-1.5" above the hood line. Really need to go back and touch on that project. Maybe over the winter...

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• This is actually an idea I think would be a great way to move air over the motor and pass it out underneath the Sling. Help move some of that heat out of there.

I'd be interested.

• Just brainstorming here. For additional heat loss, you could put some small vents on the sides (even paint them a different color from overall scoop) to help out the front intake. Having a limited amount of vents on the sides would not significantly decrease the air intake but would help out a lot with additional heat loss. I was thinking along the lines of a roof vent where heat loss is from the sides. Having the vents pointed downward would keep water out. I would not recommend having any vents at the rear of it as a lot of air would go through when moving.

• the design above was intended to allow you to cut open the plastic fake center vent. The "cover" scoop would have a slight stand off from the hood and be mounted over the OE part. This would allow hot air to vent out (possible, air flow dynamics can be a LOT different than you think) but still keep elements at bay.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Just one question
    Do you all routinely drive the slingshot in down pour rain heavy enough that the little bit of water coming in the scoop would create more of a problem than the rain splash from following vehicles, the splash coming off the front tires of the SS itself, the rain coming in from the open front end, open sides, lack of wheel wells and everything else?
    If you all are driving in that kind of rain
    STOP IT
    :00008356::00008359::00008172::00008084:

• Just one question
    Do you all routinely drive the slingshot in down pour rain heavy enough that the little bit of water coming in the scoop would create more of a problem than the rain splash from following vehicles, the splash coming off the front tires of the SS itself, the rain coming in from the open front end, open sides, lack of wheel wells and everything else?
    STOP IT

It is not about the rain. It is about getting more air in and heat out coupled with the looks it would have with a scoop on the hood.

• Just one question
    STOP IT

Mine has been cut out since some time last summer. I have never had a water problem with it while driving or while sitting over night in the pouring rain. I have been a few floods while driving and also drove in 3 hours of rain while traveling.

• I have definitely been driving in raid greater than 4 hours. Once you're that wet, just keep going, lol.

But the heavy HEAVY rain, you get the hell off the road for that stuff.

• Just one question
    STOP IT

nope... I said elements... UV rays, even through small cent holes fades most plastics... also some of us have special painted valve covers... sooooo yes I do worry.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Installing hood scoops would increase the pressure in the engine compartment forcing the air to move out though the front wheel wells, under the vehicle, down the transmission tunnel, and through the porous firewall into the cockpit. Yes it will help cool the engine compartment with negative implications, wheel wells already have high air pressure which contribute to flapping fenders, increasing pressure under the vehicle increases drag and floating, more heated air moving down the transmission tunnel increases drag and heats the cabin area, and more heat coming through the firewall just makes sweat!

The heat fix on the new Slingshots is reducing the air pressure in the engine compartment by forcing the air that passes through the radiator down underneath the vehicle with a negative effect of increasing the pressure under the vehicle. The positive is the heat moves under the passenger area and not through the firewall into the cockpit or down the transmission tunnel. On the comfort side of things this was effective, on performance side it is a negative.

Vents that create a lower-pressure will draw out the higher pressure air in the engine compartment, this air then flows out and around the passenger area. Most performance vehicles move the heat out over the hood and out behind the front wheel wells by drafting.

The picture below shows the venting in the works, I have completed the vents shown. The front vents on the hood drafts air from the radiator and air behind the center lights. The center vent is above the engine itself. The fender vents relieve pressure under the fenders which reduces the pressure in the engine compartment. This picture was taken while I was working on placement of the front vents, final location was more forward. This weekend I can post a couple more pictures. I also have vents behind the front wheel splash guards whis is a natural low pressure location. I will post pics of these vents also.

• I can't speak for mniron because I don't know if they are the same flats @ fenders and center flat but the ones on mine were once upon a time part of my fund raising efforts for St.Jude :thumbup:
    A few of these sets made their way around the group before I stopped offering them up. They require committing the ultimate sin of cutting on your SS for the fenders and gutting the center cowl plastic.

When the demand slowed down for them I stopped having them stamped.
    I just wanted something functional.

• Yes these are the flats that I got from you! I was happy to contribute to a great cause. Good to hear from you, maybe this will spur some interest again. Glad to hear you are feeling human again.

The vents are functional!

• @mniron that looks great. I have been looking at using the new radiator deflector to my benefit by making a rear defuser. Want to convert the negative pressure for better down force at the rear. Have to shape the underside to a slight venture shape and add side skirts. Having something the works is the easy part. Making it look like it belongs is another story... ;(

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Ruptured Duck, I am also working on some skirting to help with air flow. I have to many projects in the works to complete right now. Good winter project. I did get some front canards mounted, not nearly as large as yours. You might recognize the side vents when I post a picture.

FYI, I want your top also ;)

• I can't speak for mniron because I don't know if they are the same flats @ fenders and center flat but the ones on mine were once upon a time part of my fund raising efforts for St.Jude
    A few of these sets made their way around the group before I stopped offering them up. They require committing the ultimate sin of cutting on your SS for the fenders and gutting the center cowl plastic.

When the demand slowed down for them I stopped having them stamped.
    I just wanted something functional.

WHAT DO I NEED to do to get a set .. please let me know