Comparison between PRP Suspension and PRP SS Suspension seats

• I would like to provide my opinion on the two different seats sold by PRP. In our current situation we have a pair of the PRP SS seats in one Slingshot and the basic PRP Suspension seats in the other.
    First I would like to say the quality and comfort of both the seats are outstanding. The fact you can go online, build and design/customize the seats to your own taste for the price is incredible.

Both seats were fairly easy to install. The only problem I had was installing the seat base to the frame on the Suspension Seat because the fasteners are a bit on the short side. I had to use a clamp to compress the seat base against the frame in order to get the bolts started.

Suspension Seat (Photo on the Left)
    Wider seating position compared to the SS Suspension Seat
    Back area is wider and provides some lumbar support.
    Raises the seating height compared to the stock seats about 1 inch.
    Provides great stability for your body in the turns.

SS Suspension Seat (Photo on the Right)
    Removable base cushion. (can be removed when parked to keep it dry or cool)
    Back area has a cut down shape that allows a little more movement of the upper torso.
    Lowers the seating height compared to the stock seats about 2 inches.
    Provides good stability for your body in the turns.

The initial height of the base of each seat is about the same. The base of the Suspension Seat is firm and sinks just enough to make you comfortable. The base of the SS Suspension Seat is not firm, the padding will go flat within about 10 minutes. We added some memory foam to them to reduce how much they collapse. Even with the padding squashed down they were not uncomfortable. I weight just north of 210 pounds and they go to flat for my liking. My wife, who is smaller, finds them comfortable with the extra foam added.

Both seats are worth the money to us. We would purchase them again.
    The SS Suspension Seat is heated, it gets very hot on high.

• I have SS seats and really like the looks of my seats and agree that they bottom out and I weight 185 lbs and wife
    really liked the stock seats for comfort over SS.
    In winter I am thinking of trying to put car seat springs in to help do any with the bottom out feeling on seat bottoms.
    And since I ordered all cloth in summer hot sunny days not any problem sitting in them like the stock hot rubber seats .. They were Hot !

I found that if I used longer bolt than supplied to pull seat pan to frame on one hole it allowed you to put the shorter
    bolt supplied in with no problem.

• We purchased a two inch thick memory foam mattres cover from Target and cut it up. We actually stuffed two layers in each cushion. Wife says it made the difference. After riding around on the stock seats in the new SS we both agreed the PRP seat is a great improvement over stock even with the cushion flattened out.

• I ordered the stiffer memory foam from PRP. I found the standard was too soft and as you mentioned, after 10 minutes of sitting and riding, I felt as if I was sitting on the bottom metal frame. Was really uncomfortable. I paid a few extra $ either $25 or $40, don't quite remember, for the factory cut foam that fit right in without any issue. You might be able to order them from the get go with the firmer foam at no extra charge. You just need to call them before you order. It's worth a try. At any rate, it was a cheap enough fix and they're more comfortable this way. I do have to say that with the stiffer foam, I don't sit as low as with the softer one. Still lower than the stock seats, just not as low as with the soft foam.

• After riding with my PRP 2nd gen seats which I ordered with 2 extra inches of height, I felt that I could really use a good, stiff one (a drink--get your mind out of the gutter). I wanted extra height but the foam they used was too soft and I would slowly sink, conversely comfort was very good. I removed the foam from the cushion and cut the lower half off (retained the upper as that foam is shaped to the seat contour). I replaced the lower (flat) part with a much denser foam of the same size and problem solved.
    With a zip open cushion there are all kinds of options. I initially tried a piece of wood placed in the cushion to compress the stock foam.

• All of your posts back up what I heard from about 5 other owners at SSITS. The generation 2 seats in general are made very well, it is the foam used in the base that needs to be fixed. The cost of fixing the base is rather cheap and should not deter someone else from buying the generation 2 seats if they like the look. My purchase of the generation 1 seat was because I wanted more support.
    I hope PRP is seeing the comments and improves the firmness of the seat base.

• I am glad others are seeing and feeling what I have said all along about the SS seats since the first ride I took in mine. I've put all kinds of different foam densities and material to try and make them more comfortable. I even ordered the denser material from PRP, and still had to put extra foam in mine. I spoke with Josh @slingmods about this very thing at SSITS. The first generation seats are actual suspension seats that support you completely. The SS seats are a cushion on top of a plate. No suspension. I feel the cushion provided is not wide enough to properly support your butt. Feels like you sit in the first generation seats, and ON the SS seats. For the price they should cradle you like a baby. I inquired about getting the first gen bottoms to go with my SS uppers but at $450.00, I'm going to have to pass.
    I currently have trimmed my original cushion and installed a 2" thick gel setup under it. I also cut out a section in the center rear so my coccyx didn't have any extra pressure on it. I'll try this one out on a 5 hour run next weekend. I sure hope it is better as I will be driving 6,000 miles in the next month cross country.

Stephen

• I just got my gen 2 seats installed and first run tonight. I found them to be super comfortable and much better than stock. I found that I am actually sitting a bit higher in my seat, but deeper back than stock, also no big bump in back of your head. When I ordered mine and talked to PRP they said that they have upgraded there seat foam. So this maybe a differance than earlier models. We drove for couple hours tonight, with a supper break in between and both of us agree they are way better than stock.
    Really like them so far :D

• Thanks very much for all the discussion on the difference between these two seats. As someone who is looking into the investment, I was leaning towards the Gen 1's simply because of the price difference. But not I may be a little more happy with them simply because of the fit too.

• I just got my gen 2 seats installed and first run tonight. I found them to be super comfortable and much better than stock. I found that I am actually sitting a bit higher in my seat, but deeper back than stock, also no big bump in back of your head. When I ordered mine and talked to PRP they said that they have upgraded there seat foam. So this maybe a differance than earlier models. We drove for couple hours tonight, with a supper break in between and both of us agree they are way better than stock.
    Really like them so far :D

If you are sitting higher in the gen 2 seats then they must have upgraded the foam. The reason I sit lower in my gen 2 seats is the foam compresses flat when sat on. Might be worth calling PRP and seeing if they will replace the foam. Or better yet maybe Slingmods could be an advocate since they sell so many of there seats.

• I am glad others are seeing and feeling what I have said all along about the SS seats since the first ride I took in mine. I've put all kinds of different foam densities and material to try and make them more comfortable. I even ordered the denser material from PRP, and still had to put extra foam in mine. I spoke with Josh @slingmods about this very thing at SSITS. The first generation seats are actual suspension seats that support you completely. The SS seats are a cushion on top of a plate. No suspension. I feel the cushion provided is not wide enough to properly support your butt. Feels like you sit in the first generation seats, and ON the SS seats. For the price they should cradle you like a baby. I inquired about getting the first gen bottoms to go with my SS uppers but at $450.00, I'm going to have to pass.
    I currently have trimmed my original cushion and installed a 2" thick gel setup under it. I also cut out a section in the center rear so my coccyx didn't have any extra pressure on it. I'll try this one out on a 5 hour run next weekend. I sure hope it is better as I will be driving 6,000 miles in the next month cross country.

Stephen

@Toobad4u I've ridden on Corbin saddles for more years and miles than I care to remember and I was used to the almost solid feel of the type of foam they use. While it does take some break-in time, after a couple thousand miles on them I'm finally comfortable with my SS style seats. I spoke to the Factory about the suspension vs plate (because I too felt as if I was sitting on a steel plate after 10 minutes on the soft foam) they told me that the gen 2 are indeed suspension. There is no metal plate under there, it's just a platform made to accommodate the removal of the bottom cushion. It just feels like it :/ . At any rate, I asked them for the firmest cushion they have. "I want it like a Corbin feels when new", and that's what they sent me. It was rock solid when I first put it on, but like is said. now that I have a couple thousand miles on them, my arse is happy again. :thumbsup::thumbup: . As a side note, the factory rep did mention that they have several different options of firmness. I got what I think was the hardest they carry.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Oh, I'm 6'1 220 so not quite a little guy if that makes any difference.