New approach for a SlingShot top...

• Nice design...The rear bracket pointing up...is that to connect to the lightning wire for the flux capacitor?

very, very close but no. I assume you are talking about with the top removed. If so it is the rear mount for the single striker needed for the center mount single latch. The top has been designed so only one latch is required to secure the top closed. This centrally located latch can be released by either occupant to, again make entry and exiting easy. As you can see in the image the striker is located at the center point and could be lowered (for even more of an aggressive look) or raised for a little extra headroom.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Just showed my wife. She really likes it. My only thing is I would prefer the canopy center supports were front to back. Maybe even angling in from the front corners then straight back similar to the hood panels.

@dangerdarrell it's funny you say that because @Joker256 had a similar suggestion to run them front to back. To me this had three drawbacks at the time I was designing the frame.
    (1) it would require 3 front to back bows to produce the similar side height (shape) to clear helmets. Two of the bows would be pushed close to the edge and then a center one would be needed to support the center and help keep it crowned so that water would not pool.
    (2) would not be a simply design ( would not be less expensive to produce) and not easier to design in the break points for shipping and rigidity.
    (3) because the design allows a mesh top to be installed the cross bows were placed so that there was nothing blocking your view. Front to back bars would have been visible. As designed you cannot see the bows unless you look up for them.

Not that it's not possible it was just not the direction I chose to take. Didn't take pictured but I did do some early shape testing and used both paper and tape to replicate the top shape with the bows placed in different orientations. What I found was the fabric when stretched over the frame (very tight) pulls very far down between the bows. You may be able to see this in some of the images. Joker256 will know what I'm talking about when I tell you I had to install support straps between the two bows that run front to back (at the edges) to help hold the fabric up better and maintain its shape. The Jeep JK Wrangler uses a similar approach on the back of its soft top. For the next frame I may pull them all the way to the front to help keep it from diving down.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @dangerdarrell it's funny you say that because @Joker256 had a similar suggestion to run them front to back. To me this had three drawbacks at the time I was designing the frame.

Yeah, my Trek Top on my JK has bows. I think it looks right on the JK because it's pretty square. Not saying I don't like the top, I do very much. I want to order one from you as soon as you start production.
    I had the second UP top produced and liked it a lot but my wife loves to drive the Sling and couldn't get in and out of the drivers seat with it on. She has had both hips replaced. She really likes your top and wants one ASAP. She has had malignant malinoma is supposed to avoid too much sun.
    If you need a guinea pig feel free to contact me :thumbup:

• @Ruptured Duck, can you take a picture directly from the side? Also, what's your day job? SpaceX engineer?

Last question: ETA?

will get it to you tomorrow...

Wish I had a firm ETA.. honestly don't want to get hopes up just yet. This post it more to have you guys give feedback and input before I proceed to the final development prototype.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Speedr117 RD does R&D for RR. :D

Get the best jeep accessories here, designed for you by our, one and only @Ruptured Duck
    Jeep Accessories, Bumpers, Lift Kits, Seat Covers, Soft Tops, Wheels, Winches by Rugged Ridge

@WOLF we have a very talented team at work. Remember there is no I in team.

I'm just lucky enough to have a rather fun day job and I'm sometimes not able to stop thinking about stuff at home. The Slingshot is that outlet.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Thanks @Ruptured Duck. I understand not wanting to give an exact ETA, but can you give a ballpark? A week, a month, a year? Also, is there a sign-up sheet somewhere. If not, I'm creating one and I'm first!

I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, so I not only know about Rugged Ridge, but I'm a "user"! Thanks for your efforts! Between bikes, then the Jeep, and now the Slingshot, it's hard not to mod the wife's SUV!

• @Speedr117 let's say a year if I had to be realistic. I'm not a business nor do I personally have any manufacturing capability at this time. I have a huge amount still to do on establish a buisness. My better half will be a huge part of this and we have been trying to get past other comments first. As with any new startup I have to cut my personal cost and find start up capital, and build a buisness case (part of why I started this post), but that's none of your concern.... I know people want the top otherwise I would have not spent as much time an money getting to this point. I'm really trying to go after that American dream. Just so humbled by all the support and belief in me from this group. Words cannot express my gratitude. Now all l have to do is not let you down.

As for side images these are the best I have on my phone at this time. I'll grab some better images tomorrow. My son Graduates college today so will be a little busy... 8o

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Random thought....

In the front of the top, between the front bar and the first cross arm, I have a couple questions.

1) Does the wind not push this down a lot at higher speeds?

2) For us tall folks, could a clear panel of heavy plastic be stitched into this point, allowing visibility up to stop lights? We had a heat houser on a tractor back in the day with this as a feature for when the bucket was raised. If this is your concern for people with height, perhaps something along this manner would help.

• (1) The angle of attack is set so that the wind just hits the leading edge and does push up and over the area just ahead of the first bow. At speed there are no issues and the top is very stable.

As a side note this same air flow when applied to the mesh top produces the most wonderful non-turbulent air flow directly onto the occupants...

(2) That is something that has been considered and (may) make it into the next sample. There will be an issue with heat amplified through the plastic window.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• (1) The angle of attack is set so that the wind just hits the leading edge and does push up and over the area just ahead of the first bow. At speed there are no issues and the top is very stable.
    As a side note this same air flow when applied to the mesh top produces the most wonderful non-turbulent air flow directly onto the occupants...

(2) That is something that has been considered and (may) make it into the next sample. There will be an issue with heat amplified through the plastic window.

I was wondering about that mesh top. The moment you said mesh was an option, it was my choice in the back of my mind. Plus, I think if the plastic panel was applied to a mesh top, it would resolve the issue of heat all on it's own.

Great work. I honestly can't wait to see this thing one day up close.