New North Carolina Autocycle Law

• Not sure if anyone has seen this :
    REVISE DEFINITION OF "AUTOCYCLE"
    SECTION 12.5.(a) G.S. 20-4.01(27)a. reads as rewritten:"a. Autocycle. – A three-wheeled motorcycle that has a steering wheel,pedals, seat safety belts for each occupant, antilock brakes, air bagprotection, completely or partially enclosed seating that does notrequire the operator to straddle or sit astride, and is otherwisemanufactured to comply with federal safety requirements formotorcycles."SECTION 12.5.(b) G.S. 20-140.4(a)(2) reads as rewritten:"(2) Unless the operator and all passengers thereon wear on their heads, with aretention strap properly secured, safety helmets of a type that complies withFederal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218. This subdivisionshall not apply to an operator of an autocycle of, or any passengers withinwithin, an autocycle. autocycle that has completely enclosed seating."SECTION 12.5.(c) G.S. 20-135.3(c) reads as rewritten:"(c) For purposes of this section, the term "motorcycle" shall not include autocycles.Every autocycle registered in this State shall be equipped with sufficient anchorage units at theattachment points for attaching seat safety belts for the rear seat seats of the autocycle. Theanchorage unit shall meet the same construction, design, and strength requirements under thissection for anchorage units in motor vehicles."
    Starts Dec 1 2016

• I've seen people all over NC with out helmets on , think its one of those unenforced laws. I see the completely or partially enclosed seating and then in the other section I see autocycle that has completely enclosed seating. So if you run the door strap across then it would be fully enclosed? Jeeps without doors?

• Don't think anybody does know what the law is in NC (not that they are different than some other states) because when in Maggie Valley I spoke to the State Police at the 800 number. He did not know but gave me the number of the State Police "in that area". WTF - I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer but even I know state laws don't vary in different locations of the state - state law means whole state. Anyway, called that number and was left on hold for so long pretty sure they didn't want to answer. Then called Maggie Valley PD and officer said very nicely either wear seatbelt or helmet - both are not required. Saw numerous troopers with no issues throughout rally and no problems except be careful on Dragons Tail. You do cross over into Tennessee and we got a warning to wear em in Tennessee. THE LAW - guess that's why I loved it cause it's like a box of choc.......you know :P8o

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• .........Saw numerous troopers with no issues throughout rally and no problems except be careful on Dragons Tail. You do cross over into Tennessee and we got a warning to wear em in Tennessee. THE LAW - guess that's why I loved it cause it's like a box of choc.......you know :P8o

@Bill Martin thankfully I was at the front of the pack on the dragon and @Slinger35 took the ass chewing for the whole lot of us..... but my thoughts on it is as these states pass autocycle laws. Then to some degree us hillbillies from ky still get by with the Ole saying "I thought for sure autocycle meant no helmets because of seatbelt and cage"

• i have been looking at the NC auto cycle law.

I am making a copy of the full auto cycle law and putting in the glove box. Will start riding without a helmet and see how long it takes to get stopped.

Looks like section (2) below excludes auto cycle drivers from wearing helmets. Auto cycles are clearly defined as not being motorcycles.

SECTION 11. G.S. 20-140.4(a) reads as rewritten:
    "(a) No person shall operate a motorcycle or moped upon a highway or public vehicular
    area:
    (1) When the number of persons upon or within such motorcycle or moped, including the operator, shall exceed the number of persons which it was designed to carry.
    (2) Unless the operator and all passengers thereon wear on their heads, with a retention strap properly secured, safety helmets of a type that complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218. This subdivision shall not apply to an operator of an autocycle or any passengers within an autocycle."

• I don`t think this is a law, it is a bill.

H6v4.pdf

• IN NC shortly you will no longer need a motorcycle endorsement to drive an SS
    However even with the autoccycle prevision you need a helmet because the SS does not have airbags

The president of the dealers association in NC is the owner of a local dealership and we have been thru this many times and he and the local police have reconfirmed.
    Many SS owners in NC are riding without helmets but it is just a matter of time before you all will be ticketed

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

However even with the autoccycle prevision you need a helmet because the SS does not have airbags

The president of the dealers association in NC is the owner of a local dealership and we have been thru this many times and he and the local police have reconfirmed.
    Many SS owners in NC are riding without helmets but it is just a matter of time before you all will be ticketed

While in South Carolina you can operate a three wheel vehicle with a regular drivers license and requires a helmet if you are under the age of 21.

Frustrating. So, the take-away is that in NC, the Slingshot doesn't meet the definition of an auto cycle as NC defines it? Meets all criteria except the air bag?

• You all got to get with it.
    I hereby offer for sale 2 different air bag options.

The 1st one is for "smaller frame" drivers and sell for only $1,199.99

The next one is our super deluxe "fat ass" model, with "extra air cushion" for that extremely soft and pliable sudden stop for only $1,999.99

Call now for free shipping!!!!! 1-800-URA-DUMA
    Call Now!!!!!