Home made rear fender...

• The texture comes from paintable gravelguard. I hope it was the right choice. Brackets will be done in black trim paint. May relocate the licence plate to one of the brackets across the top of the fender. Counting the paint and the welding, it will top out at about $55. While certainly not as nice as the $700 and up fenders, its not bad looking either.

• Thanks all. When I get the brackets back and paint them, I'll put it all together on the SS. If it looks decent, I will post some pics. I have no expectations it will look as nice as the forum vendor sold ones, but for my expenditure it will be just fine. In retirement there is lots of time for fabbing stuff. Except this week - have our grandkids at the cottage. A different kind of fun for sure!!

• Wanna do a second??

I can post full size templates and dimensions for the brackets. All you need other than that is (and I am not absolutely certain of these details) the front fender from an early 1980's Honda Big Red. Look at the pics in my earlier posts, and maybe note the casting number. The fender I used measured about 24" tip to tip across the arc. If I can accurately determine exactly what it is off,I will post it. Gently heat it with a propane torch (fan tip) to spread it a bit. I ended up at about 26.5" so it reduced the severity of the angle. Really, I have only four or five hours in this - most spent measuring and trial fitting stuff.

• I can post full size templates and dimensions for the brackets. All you need other than that is (and I am not absolutely certain of these details) the front fender from an early 1980's Honda Big Red. Look at the pics in my earlier posts, and maybe note the casting number. The fender I used measured about 24" tip to tip across the arc. If I can accurately determine exactly what it is off,I will post it. Gently heat it with a propane torch (fan tip) to spread it a bit. I ended up at about 26.5" so it reduced the severity of the angle. Really, I have only four or five hours in this - most spent measuring and trial fitting stuff.

Or third? :whistling:

• Before I trashed my red SL, I started working out my own fender, from scratch. I've been meaning to get back to it since I got my blue LE SL, but I've been busy with other stuff. Anyway, here's pics of a mockup I made out of cardboard. Hope to have a hard prototype soon.

Obviously, I'll also need to relocate the license plate, most likely to the underside of the fender.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• I can post full size templates and dimensions for the brackets. All you need other than that is (and I am not absolutely certain of these details) the front fender from an early 1980's Honda Big Red. Look at the pics in my earlier posts, and maybe note the casting number. The fender I used measured about 24" tip to tip across the arc. If I can accurately determine exactly what it is off,I will post it. Gently heat it with a propane torch (fan tip) to spread it a bit. I ended up at about 26.5" so it reduced the severity of the angle. Really, I have only four or five hours in this - most spent measuring and trial fitting stuff.

hehehe, thats a good one..

• The fender is done! And it came in about $1000 "under budget" with a total cost of $60 (Cdn). $20 for the Big Red fender at a salvage yard, $15 for the paint, $20 for the guy who welded my aluminum brackets and $5 for stainless steel fasteners. While it isn't 100% perfect, I certainly can live with it.

• Ha!! But thanks for asking. It really wasn't difficult. I can share the template for the aluminum plate I made that is bolted to the swingarm using the 3 shock mount bolts (although you will need 3 bolts longer by the thickness of the plate). My plate is 3/8" thick. Hopefully will keep vibration to a minimum. The angle brackets size and mounting location will be established by the fender you use. Mine was from an early 1980's Honda Big Red. I used a 3 wheeler ATV front fender as they are wide enough and made of molded plastic so it is very light and somewhat rigid (its ribs help keep its shape). For those who want to to something similar and need info, just PM me. I will try to provide the needed answers.