Question..... Alpha Headers with stock exhaust

• Quick question, (because I can't seem to find it referenced anywhere).

I am getting my CAI shortly, and am seriously considering just pulling the pin and grabbing the headers from Alpha as well. However, there is no way I can pull off the exhaust yet.

So ...

1) Does the Alpha Shorty 4-1 Header match up to the stock exhaust?
    2) Is it worth the effort to add these on with the Stock exhaust system, or simply wait a year until I can do both?
    3) Pull the pin a second time and grab the CAT delete? (that will be funds dependent)

My thinking at this time is that if I get the headers & the CAI, then I can go after the ECU tune this winter. (Does the Tune take into account the Exhaust? Perhaps I will need to hold off yet on that)

Needing input from those in 'the know' about playing these changes.

• I have a CAI already installed. Yes the Alpha shorty does match the stock exhaust. Just received the Alpha header and Cat replacement pipe. Will be running stock muffler. Hope to get it installed next week.

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

• Yeah, I have been looking to that video over & over. It is quite honestly what is making me think I want to swap out that header. I want the sound, lol.

Let's face it though, with the CAI and the Headers installed, outside of the exhaust, I can start to look at the creature comfort mods, lol. Seats will be next, then shocks. Might switch those us depending on how the seats are holding up. It's been pointed out to me that the smoother ride is worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks for the info on the hookups. Nice to know I don't have to rush out and install the exhaust too.

• Back up plan is in place....

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

• Oh, so the extra push from the headers & CAT delete become too much for the stock exhaust? Would it be best to suspend the CAT delete until I am ready to replace the exhaust, or will this still have the same 50 / 50 chance?

• @MBMedic save your cat-delete money for something else. I had just the Alpha CAI on my trip to SSITS, added the Alpha header at SSITS for the trip home. My wife (passanger) and I both noticed a nice bump in acceleration, even with stock exhaust and cat. I think the header and CAI will add the look and performance you are hoping for without the cat-delete cost and fears.

• I never had that problem, the stock muffler held up to the CAI, the cat delete and the 1320 header and got 34 mpg. I also liked the way the stock muffler sounded with the cat delete until the Welter Dual was at SSITS16 and had one installed.

• It ran better with the Stock muffler, or better when you changed it out?

It ran better with the stock muffler when it also had cat removed , 1320 header and Alpha CAI (as opposed to stock everything)...I eventually swapped out the stock muff for the Alpha variable, smoothness and fuel economy were about the same but there did seem to be more seat of the pants power.

• Well then that there would put you in the lucky 50% .... wink-squared

Mine lasted less than a day after adding the header with a CAT delete (already had the Alpha CAI), blew out the welds internally, many more have reported the same with no rhyme or reason as to build date .... like other parts of the Slingshot just depends on it you received a good one or not ..... best to be prepared rather than surprised if others do not share your same luck ......

First time I have heard of cat delete and header causing this problem, I thing your 50% is wrong. Faulty welds and bad assembly of stock muffler I would believe.

• First time I have heard of cat delete and header causing this problem, I thing your 50% is wrong. Faulty welds and bad assembly of stock muffler I would believe.

Lesson learned ...when first hand knowledge of a known concern with a production part which may present itself after aftermarket modification , backed up by others posted experience, tempered with the statement that not all suffer the failure, but may help riders be prepared for a possible negative outcome ...keep it to myself .... gotcha .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• So, basically, be aware that this may, or may not, cause an issue within the muffler. Did it banana the seams or blow it out internally? While I would suggest that perhaps the 50% could not be validated, the concern does in fact still exist, which was merely the point, and was in fact the 'inside info' I was looking for when I posted. I would also suggest that this beakdown would most likely occur under stress, such as high revs approaching redline which would be the time the greatest stress is placed on the muffler.

Standard driving habits, avoiding "play time" would quite likely stand up to the test. Which would be why others didn't experience the breakdown that you did. Not suggesting bad habits, just interpreting your bad luck vs their fortune is all.

While I will fully admit to some excessive slippage from my rear tire, I am now already changing out my tire to one with a much higher wet surface rating. (That whole hydroplaning experience was something else) So, while I am now enjoying a bit of playtime, I will be nipping that in the bud when I get the new tire on the ground. Coupled by the mods, which I think I will go ahead with, I will shoot for the best, and play safe until I save my funds for the exhaust. Damn tires are expensive in Canada. The Nitto I am picking up costs $300 up here. Won't spin this one off in 15000 kms I'll tell you that right now.

Thank you everyone for your advise. I am heading to Alpha on the 21st :) First time I get to meet Henry in person, to which I will also ask his thoughts on this as well. I look forward to it and getting able to post pics of the changes.

• IMHO if you are planning on getting the exhaust later then do not buy the cat delete. If not just get the 1320 and the cat delete and you have gained about as much HP as you can get without having to spend a bunch of extra money and besides that it will be hard to beat the way it sounds, unless you just like the loud exhaust. The choice is yours to make, but I would not worry about the stock muffler coming apart.

• Sound advise. I am leaning towards the Alpha because I am going to Alpha, lol. Makes no sense to look at the 1320 IMO simply because the product review shows them pretty much equal.

And I actually liked the sound of the alpha with the valve open over the 1320. But as the video stated, this part becomes user preference.

• As far as stock muff failure, I agree that the 50% is a bit of an exaggeration BUT without the cat (especially with the stock manifold), there is a lot of additional heat flowing at a higher rate into the muffler which would have been slowed down with the cat in place. I had bought a high end muffler wrap and tried to wrap the stock muffler, first trip (without the cat) the muffler wrap caught fire. I pulled the stock muff and had it ceramic coated which helped diminish the excess heat as well as hot air into the cockpit. If you're worried about stock muff failure, ceramic coating is an option. The other side of the coin is, if you're going to all that labor and expense, you may as well get a good after market muffler.

• For those who have installed the alpha header what is the install like. Do you have to remove the side panel and muffler or can you just replace the header if your not changing the stock muffler yet? Hope my stock muffler blows up so I have no choice but to tell the wife I have to 'fix it'. Mine came yesterday and the wife is already complaining about my kitchen decorating choices.