New member meet and greet

• the part that I don't understand is I can light up the headrests and fronts but the wheels and underglow cant be blue. the cop said that if I was running any other color it would be OK. just NOT blue. I thought for sure that the headrests would be closer to Police roof height and "might just maybe" cause a little confusion, but he said "nope, its the wheels" lol.

• I just received this from a friend of a friend kind of thing lol, this is from the Virginia State Police -

Neon lights are illegal anywhere on or in a motor vehicle in Virginia, unless they are covered and UNLIT while the vehicle is being operated on a public highway.

• Blue & red, I get, for green I am puzzled.

Green and yellow are used in several states for warnings, usually because of stopped or often stopping vehicles. Thing US Postal Auto routes, Newspaper delivery, workers doing land surveys (drive by), and the like. Most red or blue are demanding right of way or requesting right of way, while yellow and green are requesting added attentiveness for the safety of all.

• I have searched for hours now on LED lights for Virginia and cant find anything. the only law that I have found so far is the one I quoted earlier showing NEON. which I get why it is illegal considering it a gas and third order implications, but nothing in the books about LED's. if anyone can uncover something that would be awesome. I am just wanting to make sure that when and not IF I get pulled over, that I have some kind of argument for the officer and wont get a ticket. However, I don't mind getting pulled over, it gives me a chance to show off the slingshot a little bit more lol. maybe even convince the officer to go buy one lol.

• You very rarely win an arguement with an officer on the side of the road. The court room is the place for that.

I don't know about that. When I was stopped after passing an off-duty officer doing 40 in a 40 and he asked if I "thought it was a good idea to pass him when he was doing the speed limit", I think I caught him off guard when I said "at the time I did". He still let me go LOL.

As far as LED or lights... I guess I'd classify NEON as a color, but that is me. In NY, you can have underglow and cabin lights, but they MUST be white at all times. No colors of any kind. But that is NY. Depends on the state. I did read somewhere about not even saying anything to anyone about IF the color can be changed... just say they are white. Mine <cough> are a very warm white :saint:

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Virginia State Police - Safety Division

Auxiliary Lights for Motorcycles Notwithstanding Section 46.2-1002, motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with standard bulb running lights or light-emitting diode (LED) pods or strips as auxiliary lighting. Such lighting shall be (i) designed for exterior vehicular use, and be (ii) capable of being permanently affixed to a flat surface. The lighting shall also be (iii) capable of steady burning when operated on public roadways, and shall not (iv) exceed 6 candlepower per bulb or LED. Such lighting shall not (v) exceed 36 inches on each side, with (vi) no single strip longer than 12 inches, and no strip shall(vii) exceed ¾ of an inch in width. The lighting shall be (viii) downward facing; and shall (ix) emit amber lighting onthe sides toward the front, and (x) emit red lighting on the sides toward the rear. Such lighting shall not (xi) be blinking, flashing, oscillating, or rotating; nor shall it be (xii) attached to the wheels of the motorcycle or autocycle.

• I think VA is the same. Blue & red, I get, for green I am puzzled. But there ya' go.
    Other than driving a SS in the first place, I try to not have contact with law enforcement. No LED bling for me.

In Arkansas, green lights are designated for use on Hazmat Response Vehicles. That’s why they frown on green. However that’s the only color I run and I’ve never been pulled over for them.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• You very rarely win an arguement with an officer on the side of the road. The court room is the place for that.

YES SIR!! I can tell ya from experience - even a lawyer ain’t gonna win in “the side of the road courtroom” ! Take your ticket and figure out how to beat it another day !!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• IF I get pulled over, that I have some kind of argument for the officer and wont get a ticket. However, I don't mind getting pulled over, it gives me a chance to show off the slingshot a little bit more lol. maybe even convince the officer to go buy one lol.

Fairfax County police are more than familiar with Slingshots. I have been tagged (no tickets) twice for being an idiot and burning massive rubber. FFX County cops don't like that. I was also taken aside in a parking lot, maybe 6 months ago to advise me that,there was an idiot in a base SS, and they were looking for him. The easily accepted it was not me, so all good.

@Tech_Rick in Burke can attest that you will get a chat from the cops if you run without a helmet.

FFX county cops have helicopters. Sometimes they are not busy... and are looking for something to hunt. A massive flaw of the SS, is that you cannot hide.

FFX county cops know where and how to buy a SS if they want. It is not that big a secret.

Don't play games with them. Don't let your new guy exuberance get the best of you.

There are ways to get your ya-yas out, not too far away. Respond to my text msg, and we'll hook you up. If you want a ya-ya crazy run, I can hook you up. If you want a way cool run in the countryside, I can hook you up for that too.

• So you are saying that you might have ruined it for the new guys. :whistling:

• Well so far. . . . . . and I have to caveat that quite heavily. . . . . . . so far, I don't peel out if I can help it, I don't go over the speed limit, this thing gets enough attention on its own. The only thing that I have done is show off the LED's once in awhile. Other than that I follow everything else by the book. I absolutely wont ride without a helmet. I have been in far too many crashes on 2 wheels that has taught me very valuable lessons, and last but not least, 9 times out of 10, I usually have one of my kids in the bike with me. Plus I am coming up on 50, I ran out of ya-yas a long time ago lol. I just enjoy riding.

• If you dump the stock Kenda tires, you won't burn out unless you try harder. I hated the stock tires. That's one of the reasons I blue smoked the snot out of the rear. I paid for that tire, and wanted to get my money's worth out of them.

If you are a cruiser and not a speed racer, we really need to hookup. Hoping for a bit warmer and no rain!

And, it seems like you found another wonderful thing about a sling. I would never ever consider riding one of my kids on the bitch seat of a two wheeler. Sling, no worries. I could even take my grand kids for a ride, as you can buckle in a child safety seat. 4 year old not so impressed. 2 year old, cries when I pull back in the garage, and refuses to get out.