How to Install Halo ON/OFF LED Indicator Light For Cockpit

• Here is a solution to a common problem. For those of us that have halo lights controlled by remote, we cannot see what the halos are doing unless we are standing in front of them with remote in hand.. wouldn't it be nice to know exactly which mode the halos are in from inside the cockpit??

The light mimics whatever the halos are doing, including dimming from 100%
    Here's how its wired:

I used a 5mm / 12 volt LED light.

I used spare 2 lead / 20 gauge wire that I had on hand, and cut a piece long enough to reach
    from the point of the LED indicator light to the wiring between the RF controller Unit and the Halo LEDs.

For the position I chose for the light, I taped off, and measured out the center for my drilling position. I needed to remove the infotainment center, to do so, loosen the 4 screws in each corner that holds the faceplate, once removed you can pull out the infotainment system and unplug the 2 plugins on the back side of the system. don't worry, the wires are labeled, as well as the back of the system. ( I reinstalled the faceplate, just for placement, while measuring for center).

3/16 drill bit for the hole

I slipped on appropriate sized heat shrink wrap onto each lead coming from LED Indicator light, soldered the LED indicator leads into the spare wire leads, keeping the positive and negative leads common. Then slid the heat shrink down over my solders and applied heat.Test your soldered wires, by holding corresponding +/- leads to any battery that has a separate +/- posts, if the LED lights up, your good to go. I used a 6 volt battery to test.

With the indicator light installed into place, I ran the two lead wires down, spliced and butted into the OEM halo wiring between the Halo RF Controller Unit and the halo lights.
    (A lot of people do not like butt connectors, however when I use butt connectors, I use Dielectric Grease to stop any oxidization of the two connection points)
    The wiring coming out of my RF Controller Unit for positive is RED, the negative is RED and BLACK (funny thing about the halos, if power is interrupted to the controller unit, when power is re-established the halos will be on, as the circuit will be hot).

Finished by wrapping wires with electrical tape, then adding loom over wires.

*Thanks to @rabtech for supplying the indicator light for this project, and I didn't have to give up a rocker switch using this method*

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

Edited once, last by airoutlaw ().

• As we have complained so many times.... that has been our biggest aggrevation during ALMOST every ride. Somehow, we both almost always forgot to turn off the halos. We left them on the other day at while at Rabtechs X/ Luckily, we only killed the battery once. And it wasnt long after that, steve installed a big battery.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• i remember your thread @SlingJockey, believe it or not, it was me that "nagged" husband for a rocker switch to be installed. Nonetheless, I felt confident my nagging was bound to accomplish something at some point. :P;)
    @NucitoutSS also did a light indicator install, and actually opened up the RF Controller Unit, but with the very small solderings, and such inside that small piece, you surely have to have steady, gentle hands :S and we (steve, i have been sick with sinuses) just did not want to chance making a small project turning into a big project that invovled replacing halos all together... X/

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• i remember your thread @SlingJockey, believe it or not, it was me that "nagged" husband for a rocker switch to be installed. Nonetheless, I felt confident my nagging was bound to accomplish something at some point. :P;)
    @NucitoutSS also did a light indicator install, and actually opened up the RF Controller Unit, but with the very small solderings, and such inside that small piece, you surely have to have steady, gentle hands :S and we (steve, i have been sick with sinuses) just did not want to chance making a small project turning into a big project that invovled replacing halos all together... X/

Clarification: I didn't actually open the RF unit....just tapped into the +/- leads that exit the RF unit going to the LEDS.

Never sacrifice integrity for popularity >..<

• Hey, @NucitoutSS you got the job done alot sooner than we did... :00000436:

And if you ever seen a kid play a game of Operation, you'd understand why we didnt touch what was under that wrapping :00008359::00008359:

• I am planning to use a lighted LED switch that turns the Halos and LED lights on / off and the switch illuminates when on. There are many styles / choices with blue, red, white "on" indicators.

Search Amazon for lighted LED switch to see examples

• Hey, @NucitoutSS you got the job done alot sooner than we did... :00000436:

And if you ever seen a kid play a game of Operation, you'd understand why we didnt touch what was under that wrapping :00008359::00008359:

Lol I bet. Well it's not a super whamadine professional and clean install (very close though ;)) but if you go to the other post (sorry I don't know how to link it here using Tapatalk on my phone) you can see the pics. Just lucky I found an unused LED in my junk bin. Good luck! I never knew how badly I needed that little LED until I had it .... #firstworldproblems

Never sacrifice integrity for popularity >..<

• TAKEN FROM THREAD:
    "Anybody going to be out riding this weekend or first of next week in North AL"

• NucitoutSSMonday, 12:58pm+3
      So here goes I took the blue LED out of a crappie old 12v plug in El Cheap-O interior accent light purchased ages ago and sitting in my junk bin.

Wired to the output wiring from the RF unit on the halos. Ran to the left side of the steering stalk after loosening the bolt on the left side and tucking the wire in

BOOM! Thanks for the tip!

:00008674::00008674:

• I read this thread earlier today. Since my Halos are on a switch by themselves, I'm looking at just getting a lighted switch. It lights up when you turn on the Halos, and goes off in the off position. Pretty simple, I think.

That will work. Depending on weather the wire to the switch it hot or a ground you will have to run the opposite to it to get a light to work.

• That will work. Depending on weather the wire to the switch it hot or a ground you will have to run the opposite to it to get a light to work.

Could this be explained more? I have lighted switches, but currently they only switch and don't light... Not sure if they are broken or I wired wrong... I'll post picture when able of the wires going to the switch.

• That will work. Depending on weather the wire to the switch it hot or a ground you will have to run the opposite to it to get a light to work.

Houston, we have a problem!!! @rabtech, are you saying I need to run a hot (or negative) back to the switch to make the switch light up? I was reading up on this particular switch...