Georgia Autocycle bill

• wanted to consolidate other posts in one easy to find post so Georgia members can see it.
    Thanks to @NucitoutSS for letting us know about it!

Georgia has house bill 1040 going through legislation to add autocycle definition to code 40-1-1 but it won't help us as written:
    5.1) 'Autocycle' means a three-wheeled motor vehicle on which drivers and passengers ride within a completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with air bag protection, a roll cage, three-point safety restraints for each occupant, and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals."

If they were to do away with the portion regarding air bags ans roll bars, that would be awesome!

Here is a link to all of the members of the house motor vehicles committee.

House Motor Vehicles

@Ruptured Duck, Kevin Tanner is from your area. Hes's on the committee.
    Representative Kevin Tanner

• check with @NucitoutSS as he recieved additional information late this afternoon. It didn't make it this session and looks to be a 2017 bill. This gives us time to see about getting it written correctly.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Yes, after a surprisingly fast reply from the chairman of the motor vehicle committee in the house of Representatives (retired) and the chairman of the tag and Title division of the revenue department they gave me a little lesson in government affairs. The bill previously named HB 1040 was proposed in February 2016 as written in the post above. It didn't pass. Because it was presented in the second year of the two year session it's now dead. If a legislator proposes it again it would be presented in January 2017 time frame, it would be a new name (HB ###) and would most likely have been revised. I think the key here is to communicate now and help adjust the wording, or at least provide our input as much as possible. I have already written to Allen Powell-R to explain the changes I believe need to be made in order to allow the SS to be exempt from the motorcycle law, thus allowing the SS owners a choice (that comment was specific to those wishing to not wear a helmet in GA). It's clear as written (and failed) it's specific to one....not quite on the market 3 wheeler.

My comments to him were as follows:

Good morning Mr. Powell,

In searching for the status and wording of HB 1040 as it applies to the proposed definition of Autocycle I had some questions I couldn't seem to find.

A) What is the status / schedule of the proposed changes?
    B) Will it be revised at all in order to not be so specific to one manufacturer of vehicle? (Ex. Elio)

The polaris slingshot as an example (and there are others) should be considered in a revised definition so all autocycles may be exempted from the motorcycle requirements. Specifically the definition of enclosed cab (should revise and remove "completely"), remove specific requirements for airbags or use "may have" when defining and revise roll "cage" to roll over protection (which can include roll bars, cages, or other roof devices).

Thank you for your time.

Again this was my personal decision and you have the right to write to your local legislator and provide your perspective.....or not. :)

Edit: Allen Powell-R was the legislator who originally proposed HB 1040 to the house.

Never sacrifice integrity for popularity >..<

• Long time since I posted but an update after another round of emails with GA House of Representatives member Mr. Williams this quarter of 2017. HB 1040 failed last year (2015-2016 session) and this year HB38 has gotten much farther. Unfortunately the autocycle definition specifically is not included. What IS included is that a class C license will be granted for those "three wheeled motor vehicles with a steering wheel for directional control"....note it says motor vehicles and not motorcycles. Other changes HB38 is proposing is how one should ride a motorcycle vs a three wheeled motor vehicle with a steering wheel for directional control.

In the several emails I exchanged with the representative from Georgia we discussed other states and their autocycle laws...why some believe no helmet may be safe with a roll bar, three point seat belts, and partial side protection. He was enlightened and stayed he'll be looking into it more next week and will get back to me. Promising but not holding my breath.

Would be nice if it was classified as a three wheeled motor vehicle and not a motorcycle....maybe that would be just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never sacrifice integrity for popularity >..<