Just got Laser Alignment

• I just picked up my slingshot from the shop after getting a laser alignment plus a couple other things and noticed a huge difference in the steering. The steering seems to be 'stiff' and doesn't self correct itself after a turn. Is this normal or is something wrong? Wanted some info before I go back to the shop.

• the plastic housing around the steering wheel was messed up.

Shannon- that might be suspect in my opinion.... don't think it is laser alignment, at all. If laser alignment was screwed up- driving straight down the road, your sling would want to wander, and a hard braking would beg for her to pull to one side or another. The sling (at least mine,) does not "self correct" itself, after a turn, though. (either sling - old or new.) After a turn, if you let go of the steering wheel- it is not going to turn the wheels back straight. Your lower plastic housing was really messed up- it is a possibility that vehicle is now "normal". Did he replace the lower housing? Wonder if it is possible that something inside was broken........

• Shannon- that might be suspect in my opinion.... don't think it is laser alignment, at all. If laser alignment was screwed up- driving straight down the road, your sling would want to wander, and a hard braking would beg for her to pull to one side or another. The sling (at least mine,) does not "self correct" itself, after a turn, though. (either sling - old or new.) After a turn, if you let go of the steering wheel- it is not going to turn the wheels back straight. Your lower plastic housing was really messed up- it is a possibility that vehicle is now "normal". Did he replace the lower housing? Wonder if it is possible that something inside was broken........

Dee, Just the plastic was messed up, the tabs were broken to hold it together....you saw it. However, before the laser alignment, it would correct itself after a turn....now it's so "stiff" that it takes two hands to turn it back after a turn.

How does the steering feel stopped with the engine running ... is it hard to turn ....

Read through this and your post elsewhere ..almost sounds like your EPS is turned off or they disconnected/damaged the steering angle sensor in the steering column (its under the plastic they replaced) ... if so the EPS would not be registering your action at the steering wheel.... so no power assist..

If they did the alignment after fixing the column they should have found this, since calibrating the sensor and a test ride is part of the alignment ... but if they did the alignment first they may not have even driven it after the other stuff .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

A blown EPAS fuse should throw the EPAS warning light in the dash .... I know it does when you pull the fuse to run in manual steering mode....

No warning light in the dash. I know they had a problem with my horn wires when they straightened out my steering wheel after the alignment....and he mentioned a wire that was getting pinched that ran up the column....so maybe Orangeman is onto something. I'll check the fuse also.

• I know they had a problem with my horn wires when they straightened out my steering wheel after the alignment....and he mentioned a wire that was getting pinched that ran up the column

That right there is concerning since you do not adjust the steering wheel to match the alignment... you align the wheels to match a centered steering wheel .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

That right there is concerning since you do not adjust the steering wheel to match the alignment... you align the wheels to match a centered steering wheel .....

I have an after market steering wheel and it was off center, so they did do the alignment to match a centered steering wheel but it was still off by one tooth so they had to take it off and move it one tooth.

• Just tried that and it does turn easier on than off. My husband thinks they might have over tightened the steering wheel if that is possible.

very possible- Jake has never worked with an aftermarket one, I don't think..........
    it should NOT be hard to straighten than to turn.......
    email & call him.... maybe there is a simple fix, rather than having to drive all the darn way there again!! I think that they are open tomorrow

• very possible- Jake has never worked with an aftermarket one, I don't think..........it should NOT be hard to straighten than to turn.......
    email & call him.... maybe there is a simple fix, rather than having to drive all the darn way there again!! I think that they are open tomorrow

Dee, they're not open today. I'm going to email him in the morning.