Heated and cooled seats? This could be interesting.

• OK ......I need your help on this one and I have already promised help when you get yours
    You have openned a can of worms for a must have

The install would be easy. The trick is to figure out what seat material. It would have to be a perforated material to get airflow. I'm curious if PRP has any perforated materials.
    With the factory seat, you could theoretically have an upholstery shop recover the seat with a perforated material (leather, vinyl, cloth)
    My only worry would be weatherproofing.
    Let me do some research.

• Found this. Pricey!

The new DegreeZ system is the only aftermarket kit with both heating and cooling, says Katzkin, although luxury car models offer the feature from the factory.
    If it’s 90 degrees outside, the driver hits a button and the seat starts to cool. If it’s cold out, you hit a button and it cools off.
    The kits uses an electrical voltage system that creates both hot and cool air, known as the Peltier effect. When the current runs one way, you get hot air, and when it runs the opposite way you get cold air. It takes an experienced installed about 1 1/2 hours per seat to install. and costs $995 suggested retail price per seat (by comparison a heating only element costs $399).

• I have some old CPU coolers that do this. You can plug them in and they will actually freeze. However they have two terrible side effects. They get super super super hot on the opposite side. And they draw a ton of power.

I'm sure Katskins has figured out something that would work fairly well but peltier properties haven't really changed much. So I would be interested in 3 things.

1. How much energy they draw?
    2. How do they dissipate the heat that they actually make when cooling?
    3. How long are they guaranteed for?

• Most auto seats just draw air thru the perforated holes in the seat covers when on cool. Some use the cars air conditioning to force cool air thru the seat covers.

Just did a Google search and confirmed what I initially thought. GM uses this technology in some of their high end seats . However they never use the strips to come in contact with the cushion. They use a copper heat sink (cool sink) to cool down a chamber that the blower blows thru.

• Trust me. If this fat ass could effectively have truly cooled seats for less than $500 I would. But for a little more than $1500.00 to $2000.00 i feel sure you can have air conditioning installed in the SS. And with a vent on each side of the console I bet you could feel it very good. There is a company in Birmingham that specializes in aftermarket air conditioning system in vehicles. I just haven't had time to drive by and check on it.

• Yes they are... They are brushless 12volt computer CASE fans...

I have some that are wicked strong and loud. They are so strong that I zip tied 2 of them on the back side of a transmission cooler on my Boss Hoss and it made a huge difference.
    So just find the right size and CFM for what your doing and your good to go....

Anatomy of Computer Fans - The Brushless Motor of 6 - Hardware Secrets

You can even light up you butt...... :D

Amazon.com: Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Blue: Computers & Accessories

• This is getting better all the time ..Best of the Best . We have two Jeep Professors and a solid Slingshot/ IT Professor working on a very beneficial product for many of us . @Ruptured Duck we need to see your prototype working and in action in Blairsville .. ( come on , I know you got something ! ) genius-squaredgenius-squaredgenius-squared

• Peltier TEC devices are good for a small amount of special applications. They are about 10% efficient, which may not be so bad accept the other 90% of heat generated plus the 10% heat removed (cooling effect) is on the other side of the 1/4" thick plate. This means a cooling vest would be pretty hot on the outside and a little cool on the inside. If this is in a seat cover then the heat will be trapped and overcome the cooling effect. Similar to putting a vehicle A/C condenser coil inside the cabin area. The net result is a hotter vehicle.

The Peltier TEC devices can work as a seat cover (kind of), by designing a thin hollow layer on the hot side with fans to remove the heat. The key point is, if I put a TEC device in box then the temperature will get hotter. TEC devices create about 8-10 times more heat than cooling.

I love experiments, so please purchase some of these TEC devices and post some reviews about the heat generation issue.

DDM Stage 3 Turbo / Intercooler / Fuel Rail / Track Clutch

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

Stock: 305/45R18 Nitto NT555R not enough traction

• Yeah, I had thought about that Airborne and years ago, we experimented with peltier in PC builds, long before water cooling became a thing.

If you vented the heat out of the seat, it could help alleviate that issue, not sure how well it would work, but would be a fun experiment

• I was looking at these seats as an option when I was getting ready to buy my R model. Two things made me drop the seats. One was the price. When they quote a price for just one, that shows that they are quite expensive. The second reason is that I probably wouldn't use them that much (as least for that price). I have these kind of seats in my car and only on a very cold day do I start out with the seats heated. Getting in after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while is about the only reason to use the cooled seats. Can you imagine what a load on the electrical system would be if you had two of them and they were both on. You had better have your engine running to keep that 140 amp alternater going or your battery would go dead pretty quick.