Oil change?

• Almost at 5000 miles and considering where to do oil change...

I read on the forum that shall not be named (the other one) that oil changes at dealerships were running $150 or more... I haven't checked my local dealer (Team Mancuso Powersport), but Zorro did provide his 500 mile service record from Bert's Mega Mall and it was like $150...

Anyway, got a quote for Eneos Oil 5w-30 for $80. This is from DeviateAutosport in Houston TX. They work on many high-end vehicles and the guy's wrapped a couple of SSs... Great work in my opinion! You can see his stuff on Instagram or Facebook (@deviateautosport).

But back to the point... Recommendations? What would you do?

• Change it yourself! Pick up a 5-quart bottle of Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic at Wally World, get a good oil filter (I like the Wix 57082XP, made for synthetic oil). Don't forget to lube your U-joint (can access via cupholders, see @slingking video on YouTube; you'll need a needle adapter; I use Royal Purple NLGI2 hi performance multipurpose grease, part # 01312; for the needle, I use a 4" Lincoln, part # G901). It's best to do your own maintenance to the max extent possible.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Copied this over from (Over There)

Ok here is my new Oil Drain Setup! No-Spill™ Systems: Eliminate Messy Oil Changes
    Size info for our Slingshots and parts to get are right there below!
    If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

There is a magnet in the end!

With the drain tube screwed in, it pushes the valve open to drain the oil

Installed on the Slingshot baby! (Make sure you install the crush ring when installing on the side toward the oil pan)

Drain tube attached when ready to drain oil

Yes I have a long tube

Capped off when done. It has a rubber seal on the inside for extra precaution!

I will get to use it on my next oil change, so far I like it

Hope you all enjoy the product photos!

• Let the damping.. er.. dampening.. er.. whatever you want to call it, begin! :)

To the OP, some folks have taken theirs to regular Jiffylube type places. They just have to remember to stop short, and back out of the bay.

• Okay, now you've got me thinking of DIY... I used to do it on my previous vehicles back when I was younger and wanted to save, but heck, now I don't even cut my own lawn... It's more an issue of time and having two little girls on the weekends...

I'm not even sure I could get under her... Need a jack... Eh.... :00008862:

• Do it yourself, the initial cost of the oil cap wrench, needle tip for the u-joint, oil and filter will be less than having it done at the dealer. Plus it can be done without a lift.
    Mobile One oil and K&N PS7000 filter.

• Okay, now you've got me thinking of DIY... I used to do it on my previous vehicles back when I was younger and wanted to save, but heck, now I don't even cut my own lawn... It's more an issue of time and having two little girls on the weekends...

I'm not even sure I could get under her... Need a jack... Eh.... :00008862:

I have no jack or ramps- easy to do on the ground- watch Slingking's vid. (not safe for your little girls)
    Pop the plug, and go play with the girls for awhile.........
    I don't cut my lawn either (HOA)

• We did our 5000 mile service. New oil and filter, grease needle for u joint... hope your u joint greasing goes smoother... :00008862: dont forget to check the gear oil, we replaced and used royal purple. The magnet on the ? ? "Thing" had metal shavings on it, the gear oil looked fine, but because of the shavings, steve said drain it... also bled brakes for possible air bubbles, found none... dealership charged us 400 for the 500 mile.. yeah, we be changing our own :00000030:

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• We did our 5000 mile service. New oil and filter, grease needle for u joint... hope your u joint greasing goes smoother... :00008862: dont forget to check the gear oil, we replaced and used royal purple. The magnet on the ? ? "Thing" had metal shavings on it, the gear oil looked fine, but because of the shavings, steve said drain it... also bled brakes for possible air bubbles, found none... dealership charged us 400 for the 500 mile.. yeah, we be changing our own :00000030:

you may get the award for the highest price 500 mile service! is that the only dealer in your area?
    My first attempt at greasing the joint was a total farce- took over an hour, and probably 1/4 tube of grease before I actually got the darn tip PERFECTLY aligned with the zerk. (Too damn stubborn to give up on it, though. What- admit that I cannot grease a freakin' fitting? Hell no!) I had grease everywhere and was cleaning like crazy. The next service- just missed on the first try, and it was a done deal on the 2nd. Changed the gear oil at 5000- plenty of shavings, too. Will do again at 15,000 miles, (presuming I get my ride back from the shop.)

• I see what you did there. ;)

Caryn was in the other room when I watched your shock video, she started laughing and wanted to know what the hell I was watching when you were talking about the difference between damping and dampening. I'm afraid to let her see the oil change video. ;(

• Caryn was in the other room when I watched your shock video, she started laughing and wanted to know what the hell I was watching when you were talking about the difference between damping and dampening. I'm afraid to let her see the oil change video. ;(

Go with your gut man, go with your gut. :saint: She may not laugh so hard on that vid. She may question your association. =O

• So, my dealer does free oil changes for life, so I'm going to let them do the first one (500 mi), since I don't have a lift, or even jack stands anymore, and I'm too damn gangly to go crawling under anything lower than my Silverado.

Curious what else I should ask about, depending on price...I keep reading about having the ECU checked, but as new as the machine is, I don't know if it would need it. Also, I'm guessing 500 miles is too early to change the angle drive oil? What else should I try to get in front of?