Starter Help???

• Has anyone had trouble with their starter?

Story is as follows. Got in my sling one day and all it would do is click when I hit the starter. I assumed it was the battery due to all the post on the crappy stock batteries. I ordered a optima blue top, charged it to 100%, and installed it this evening. I'm currently about 70 miles from home. I get back in it and I get the clicking again. I hit the starter button 8 times with it clicking, and bam it pops off. Ideas?

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• That sounds like a bad starter solenoid to me. Or, your negative battery cable where it connects to the frame could be loose.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I fThat sounds like a bad starter solenoid to me. Or, your negative battery cable where it connects to the frame could be loose.

I figure that would be a warranty item?

The starter would be covered by warranty. You can verify all of your battery connections - I would check them first.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Yes I would check negative cable where it connects to the frame. I had the same problem and it was loose. As a matter of fact I touched the ground/frame connection as I was turning the key and starter engaged.

Has anyone had trouble with their starter?

Story is as follows. Got in my sling one day and all it would do is click when I hit the starter. I assumed it was the battery due to all the post on the crappy stock batteries. I ordered a optima blue top, charged it to 100%, and installed it this evening. I'm currently about 70 miles from home. I get back in it and I get the clicking again. I hit the starter button 8 times with it clicking, and bam it pops off. Ideas?

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems I remember seeing a main fuse located back in the battery compartment as well. If this is the case you might want to ensure it is not loose.

• That is correct,,,, There is two fuses in the back... Check both... Bit I'm leaning toward a bad solenoid.... It happens.... I used to carry a hammer in a chevy 3/4 ton truck i had one just to beat the starter with.

I would check the ground to frame connection also.... After that I would use the warranty and get a new starter....

• I used to carry a hammer, a large screw driver, and pair of monkey grips. The hammer was for a sticky solenoid, the screw driver was for making a connection between the positive post on the solenoid & the ignition post on GM's, and the monkey grips were for the Ford solenoids (you could open them up and use their handles to jump across the electrical posts)
    Oh.....and I always had an extra ceramic ballast fuse for the old Mopars.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Well, I pulled the compartment and checked all connections. Everything is tight. Since I made the post last night, it has started up 4 times with no problems. I'm leaning towards the starter "starting" to go out?

• Replace the starter relay. It's located in the fuse panel with the other relays and the spot is marked on the inside of the fuse cover. You can test by pulling the horn relay and replacing it with the starter relay (I believe they are all the same) and see if that fixes it. If so, buy another relay (or 6).

I fried my headlight relay during the whole Polaris recall. They replaced the entire thing under warranty but it may have affected other relays that I had.

My V8 was doing the exact same thing and after I replaced the relay it starts every time.

• My starter acts up after a long ride 20-25 miles...try to restart after a few minutes it won't start...no battery clicks just a light starter button click. Rock the SS in gear and it starts.

That said I explained the problem to my dealer and of coarse they couldn't get it to act up...but they just hold me they are ordering a starter and it will be replaced under warranty...

• My starter acts up after a long ride 20-25 miles...try to restart after a few minutes it won't start...no battery clicks just a light starter button click. Rock the SS in gear and it starts.

That said I explained the problem to my dealer and of coarse they couldn't get it to act up...but they just hold me they are ordering a starter and it will be replaced under warranty...

Do you have a car alarm system installed?

• Yes The Polaris alarm...that said....if you rock the SS in gear to get the starter to move slightly...it starts....I asked if it could be the starter relay heating up...he wasn't sure..

As far as the dealer knows there aren't any starter issues or issues with feeling the SS slightly lurch during higher speeds...he claims new SS have a slight lurch issue...