Side panel removal needed?

• Hey guys,

I want to change my oem exhaust but the idea of removing the side panel seems like a nightmare. I remember reading somewhere, that you can remove certain bolts so you can flex the panel just enough to remove the exhaust. Is this recommended? Did it work? If anyone tried this, could you please let me know the details?
    Thanks!!!

Anyone in Tampa who would want to help? Free beer! :cool:

• Yes you will need to take the side panel off to get to that area. I dont see how you would remove that huge stock exhaust without at least bending the side panel back a lot.

I can tell you how to remove the side panel... The only weird thing is having to take the passenger seat out.... There are one or two screws that you cant get to with the passenger seat in.

And you will have to remove the speaker pod if you have one. There is a screw underneath it.

There is also a t-25 long screw under the wing on the side panel . And there is two or three t-40 screws that separate the side panel from the

So if you remove all the screws in the passenger compartment that run up the side

Here is a picture of the screws to remove on the inside. I NEVER put the screw back in under the seat. That way you can remove the side panel in the future without having to pull the seat. And I have never had an issue when doing this.

• Thanks Rab! I was wondering if the panel would bend just enough to remove the exhaust. The last thing I want of course is to crack the panel.

• Broke three screw lock plastic while changing the exhaust now the screw just sit these but do not tighten up i will suggest take everything out take your time .. and when putting back everything together make sure you tighten the screw by hand first and then you tighten them up with what ever you have .

You cant see me !! or can you ??

• I didn't remove the seat either time I removed the side panel but I might, just might have said some bad words contorting my old back in the process.

Yea, you can remove those screws without removing the seat from what I have been told. But its so much easier to take the 4 big bolts out of the seat and get it out of the way first.... 8)

• You don't need to remove the screw from under the seat to gain access to the remove the exhaust. Once you remove all the others but that one, you can rotate that side panel out about 2' and get everything out. Mine is currently sitting in this position as i am installing new side exhaust, and had to remove my original Hahn muffler. Since it was going to be sitting for a couple days without me working on it, I lined it back up and just put the one bolt in the top near the hood latch to hold it in place so the plastic would't get any stress marks in it. For temporary access, this seemed like the best way. I had removed it completely the first time, and it was a pain to line back up to get started.
    I see you have a SL model. You will have to remove the speaker pods to gain access to a coiple of the screws on the floor. They are just 2 t-40 torx like the rest of them, and a disconnect plug form the harness.

Stephen

• A little tiip for putting the torx screws back in. Put a little lube on the tip before putting them back. You'll find some were cross threaded at the factory and the lube helps them go back in without further damage. BTW I didn't remove the seat or completely remove the side panel when I changed the exhaust.

• Decision made... Just bought the new exhaust.. Let's see how insane the installation will be... Again, anyone in the Tampa Bay area who want to spend an afternoon of drinking beer and swearing helping me with this would be much appreciate it!