TOMMY BOY'S QUEST TO THE "200 H.P. CLUB" NATURALLY ASPIRATED

• **Disclosure** To my Turbo friends, God Bless you and your horsepower. I wanted to go the natural aspirated way. This posting is in no way a means to say this is better or worse. I am a tech geek, and not a mechanic and found this to be safer turbo alternative horsepower fun

I love these forums and did a lot of research on the engine and from my own experience building my 72 Chevelle. I wanted more torque and horsepower but don't have the free $6k+ to do a turbo right and all the other things I want to modify. I found the guys a @Rist Rocket Racing and they had what I was looking for. Put more air in and let more air out. Bob took care of the tune to put more fuel in. So this boys and girls equals TORQUE/HORSEPOWER.

Here is the patient 2015 SL.

I have plans for plenty of other mods, hence freeing up cash for looks and horsepower. The @Rist Rocket Racing guys speak my language when it comes to porting and polishing to allow more CFM Air in. They have a really nice machine shop.

The box arrives. Getting excited, but know I will need drugs after all the bending over the Sling. You know what I am talking about.

I like the CAI's out there, but agreed with Nathan about the, "Why Not Just Use...." I bought new parts for my mods so I can keep my old parts for a few reasons. But doing this I can really show you the difference between stock. To save money you can send them your parts to port and polish instead. But I was surprised how little it was for new parts.

The Air Box:
    I like how they created more air holes with nice vents. But they take it further. Look at the bottom snorkel and then the top snorkel. Notice anything? They opened up the whole bigger to allow more air through, and also ports the inside and polished it so there are no ridged or imperfections on the front.

Now flip it around and the did the same port and polish on the outlet connecting to the pipe. All equals more air. Using a K&N Air filter.

Up close to the ported rear outlet.

This connects to the new throttle body through their custom made intake chrome pipe. Everything fit perfect. On the box you use your stock clips and bolts.

This connects to the new ported and polished throttle body. Some where on the forum they post their CFM bench tests, but you can see here. Can you tell which one is the stock one? Pretty easy to tell the one on the top has really thick walls. Also notice on the porting how they get rid of the ridge in the middle. See it? That changes the air flow. Better to have a straight shot. The porting made the opening wider without sacrificing any strength.

Another shot. The stock one on the left really shows how they cleaned it up.

Now flip it over. Again you can see the port and polish job they do. smoothed out the ridges.

Super easy to swap out. 4 bolts and the wire harness.

Now onto the intake manifold. At first I was intimidated to do this not having schematics or a Chilton's manual. But it was easy. Remove the line of bolts on the top row connecting to the block, a wiring harness, and as you take it out, underneath there are some wire ties holding onto a wire connected to the alternator. That was the only pain. But first lets do our comparison to stock

Intake:
    Your looking at the hole and mount that the throttle body goes onto. The RRR ported and polished is on the???? Again easy to tell. They really modify this. Shave down the side walls for more air and all together remove the two half circles on the bottom.

Now flipped over check out the intake runners. Again easy to tell which it which.

Intake side all buttoned up and pretty. Was surprised with some sockets and wrenches how easy it was to swap.

Now moving onto the Exhaust side I went with the tried and true 1320 header and the Alpha Electronic Exhaust.

Below is UGLY!!

Time to tear it down. Again very easy switch.

Installed the Alpha bracket and Exhaust first

• Now the 1320 Header

I then wired the Alpha Exhaust as per their instructions. Super easy.

DING DONG.....Saturday around 3:00pm....My postman arrived with my new TUNED ECU from BOB!!! I quickly put that back in. Bob had no issues tuning the ECU and compensating for the above mods. His specialty! He is already working with the @Rist Rocket Racing team to make sure things are aligned.

Now for the test drive. I was actually a little nervous! Then I heard something as I pressed the red button...A roar and a rumble. I felt it. It was like sitting in my 500 HP Chevelle! My heart started to race and my hands shook. I knew what was coming. I let it warm up a little and noticed right away just how smooth it was. The RPM usually sat at 800 or so, a little low I though, and now it was sitting at 950. Perfect. Pulled it out of the driveway and gave it some Gas...I was 35 degrees sideways!! HHHooooolllllyyyyyy Crap! it took me by surprise. That sound...coming from this sling! Hit the intersection. Let it loose. Sideways again, shifted into 2 second gear while still chirping...this thing started pulling. The torque! Where the hell did that come from. Like muscle car torque! Pushed me back into my seat...RPM's rising and the engine roaring through the Alpha exhaust I could really hear and tell the engine was gulping down the new air! Third gear! Another chirp and a little side kick out....I figure like usual no way in 4th...I hit 4th and still had power! What the heck! Power in 4th and still pulling!!! Yes! I started swearing like a sailor! By myself! I went around our round about heading home. My face hurting from the smile. Knowing how much fun I will have. All with "Safe Horsepower" adds.

I got back and had some other mods to finish up. Previously I added Loyds bubble floor mats, 180 mirror, cell phone holder, and Glass Wings. Put in a short throw shifter...A must. But this last weekend are the mods I did.

J-MOD Clear hood insert, oil cap, and coil cover.

Lit up with RED LED Strips.

Rear Reflector LEDS for extra safety

Put in the much needed rear mud flap

Of course swapped out the headlights for H3/H9 LED

This coming weekend going for more mods!! Again things learned and ideas from others on the site.

Ordered and am going to install:
    Afterburner LED-

Canadian Lights Addition

Viking Double Adjustable Coil Overs

Installing new 20" Velocity VW12 Rims wrapped in Nitto G2's!

Things on order... NGK plugs modified by @Rist Rocket Racing and Enos Oil change to 0W-20. New steering wheel, distribution block, and battery cable extensions. Hawks 5.0 brake pads.....

Good luck with your build. God Bless the 200 club. Hope I can make it. Will add more later. Loving the Slinger lifestyle

• Thanks for the info, this is where I am headed at the present time. The P&P and tune is next. This is a WINNER

• Bobs tune @MEFIburn
    1320 header
    Alpha exhaust
    Intake manifold porting and polish
    Throttle body porting and polish
    Air intake tube
    Air box porting
    K&N filter

Around $2400. But the really nice thing about this is you can do one piece at a time! And you can go with a cheaper exhaust. Start with the air box. Then get the ported throttle body...and so on. Which lessons the pain. God bless the turbo but your kind of all in. 5$k for turbo...$500 for tune. $300 for gauges. Plus this does not include exhaust or headers for the turbo. All in with turbo your at $6-7k installed by you! For me and wanting to do coilovers, rims, LED and other accents, it just made sense. If you have the extra cash...GO TURBO...you can't compete with that power. But as far as a turbo alternative go for the port and polishing with @Rist Rocket Racing guys. I heard a rumor they are looking into putting together some horse power packages...check with them.

• Update:. I met with Henry from Alpha and he has offered to Dyno for me. I just need to get a day to align when his shop isn't crazy. He truely is one of the original good guys. He's not in this sport for the money. I am sure that comes but the fact he is so friendly and gives feedback and advice is great!

The power is excellent. No regrets. Just sad that there is only one place within my area that will dyno. Hope to get up there in the next month...

• @'rabtech no disagreements there. I may go turbo next year with Alpha. But going NA it's not an all or nothing deal based on budget. Pick up your intake first, then exhaust, then header and so on. Doesn't hit the wallet all at once.

• @'rabtech no disagreements there. I may go turbo next year with Alpha. But going NA it's not an all or nothing deal based on budget. Pick up your intake first, then exhaust, then header and so on. Doesn't hit the wallet all at once.

True....

I want to build one of the extra engines I have when I get time and then force feed it. I just get all choked up when I see the prices for pistons and rods.